New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, he did say that or a gif...

Regards your belief that the SFA not restructuring to accommodate TV being the issue, I would say it's quite the opposite. The authorities in Scotland sold out to TV too readily and allowed the end product to be completely inferior in just about every single aspect of presentation, meaning it looks completely cheap compared to the other leagues we see on TV which perpetuates the belief that our league is pish.

We completely undersell what we have to offer and the fact that the governing bodies of our game do everything they can to promote two clubs over all else means we will continue to undersell ourselves and struggle to improve too much.

The boys running Dundee and the boy running the darts took 2 minutes to suss that out and called us out on it. The majority of the fans agree with them, but no one of influence seems to have taken any of it on board.

As a matter of fact Scottish football was at the forefront of the Satellite TV “revolution” – the premier division was on BSB in 1990.

Furthermore, the assertion that Scottish clubs sat on their collective arses and did nothing to try and get a better deal with Sky is wrong. In 2002 the SFL rejected Sky’s offer and demanded a fairer deal from them – Sky told them to do one and Scottish Football ended up on the BBC for a very much reduced fee and disastrous attendances for the free-to-air matches.

When Setanta went down the pipes, Sky/ESPN used the situation to their advantage to get Scottish football for an absolute song, reducing their offer from a year earlier by almost half.

Sky treat Scottish football as a filler item, BT are even worse shovelling games into the dead Monday night slot, usually what they see as low key filler games such as St Johnstone-Aberdeen where the home clubs see maybe 1,500-2,000 visiting supporters reduced to 500 and the atmosphere of the game utterly destroyed.

Sky/BT pay the absolute least they can get away with, treat our game abominably, openly sneering at it, seeing it as a 4-games-a-year curiosity and the sooner we can extricate ourselves from them the better.

5 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

As a matter of fact Scottish football was at the forefront of the Satellite TV “revolution” – the premier division was on BSB in 1990.

Furthermore, the assertion that Scottish clubs sat on their collective arses and did nothing to try and get a better deal with Sky is wrong. In 2002 the SFL rejected Sky’s offer and demanded a fairer deal from them – Sky told them to do one and Scottish Football ended up on the BBC for a very much reduced fee and disastrous attendances for the free-to-air matches.

When Setanta went down the pipes, Sky/ESPN used the situation to their advantage to get Scottish football for an absolute song, reducing their offer from a year earlier by almost half.

Sky treat Scottish football as a filler item, BT are even worse shovelling games into the dead Monday night slot, usually what they see as low key filler games such as St Johnstone-Aberdeen where the home clubs see maybe 1,500-2,000 visiting supporters reduced to 500 and the atmosphere of the game utterly destroyed.

Sky/BT pay the absolute least they can get away with, treat our game abominably, openly sneering at it, seeing it as a 4-games-a-year curiosity and the sooner we can extricate ourselves from them the better.

Not sure I agree on BT treating it as a filler. Sky will give a match 15 minutes build up (unless it's the Old Firm) whereas BT recently have given 30 - 60 minutes for games with plenty of analysis and interviews etc. The BT coverage is streets ahead of SKY in terms of punditry, knowledge and the respect they give the Scottish game, in my opinion of course.

Sky treat Scottish football as a bolt on to being able (now) to show 4 Old Firm matches a season.

Not sure I agree on BT treating it as a filler. Sky will give a match 15 minutes build up (unless it's the Old Firm) whereas BT recently have given 30 - 60 minutes for games with plenty of analysis and interviews etc. The BT coverage is streets ahead of SKY in terms of punditry, knowledge and the respect they give the Scottish game, in my opinion of course.

Sky treat Scottish football as a bolt on to being able (now) to show 4 Old Firm matches a season.

BT are absolutely fantastic.

Also Scottish football is not shit Milesy, of course you've just went and compared it to the EPL and La Liga in regards to how they dealt with sky, that doesn't matter, they are much bigger countries with much bigger clubs and a tonne more money regardless of that.

Compare our league to a country of a similar size ffs. Like Ireland's or Norways or Croatias. We have a good league here in Scotland and people always comparing it to the one across the border are being absolutely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

I appreciate what you’re saying re BT but I remain to be convinced that this is due to anything other than the lack of English games available to them other than the Saturday evening slot and midweek games. Sky also has exclusive coverage of the English Football League; they have about of 250 live games from the top two divisions to fill their weekends – BT has 28!.

I worry that eventually the number of games available from the EPL and English Championship will be enough to sate both Sky and BT and we’ll find our slot shrunk on BT to Sky’s lip service proportions. We can only hope that BT’s stupid money UCL & EL expenditure keeps them from achieving this.

BT have plenty of other football and other sports to focus plenty of time on, and they actively choose to promote the game quite a lot. The flaw in the not being convinced about what happens in the future idea, is that they do this for pretty much every sport they cover. They actively promote everything and don't put their eggs in one basket. They certainly have enough EPL and CL to be able to promote them to the hilt, to the detriment of the other sport they have, but they don't. They understand that getting fans of everything they have interested in what they're selling is to their benefit.

Yep BT and Sky's coverage are like night and day. BT tend to have their usual pundits then someone with a connection to the teams that are playing.  I'm sure I've seen Charlie Christie and Barry Wilson both there for ICT games.

Sky just stick Neil McCann and Andy Walker in the studio for every game.  Two losers who have no idea football extends beyond Glasgow.

There is no point in comparison with other leagues, especially England. Sky pumping billions into it, makes it a freak show. I wouldn't thank you for greed is good league over the border.

Scottish football is the most watched per head, per capita, of any country in Europe.

So we have a product that works. It's the bawbags in charge, under selling it and making a complete erse of youth setup that are causing problems.

When I go to watch Scottish football I don't usually take in the action as I am usually in a dreamworld wishing I'd just been charged a quarter of my weekly income to sit and watch over-hyped, spoilt and greedy multi-millionaires play the same game. 

Possibly the best post I've ever read on here.

Amen.

I hate it. I hate the obsession with the English premier league that people have in the country. The notion that football is shit in this country just because we don't spend billions every transfer window and pay players 100k a week really boils my piss. We have some decent players in this country and some really entertaining games, you would never know that from the way they are reported though. Suddenly the league had somehow greatly improved because a couple of ex-English premier league players are here? Everything has been shit without Rangers? Really?

It actually puts me in a rage thinking about it TBH. We cannot be like the English premier league, la Liga, bundesliga etc, nor should we even try. We should be trying to create our own identity and promoting it as much as possible, not talking it down because it doesn't match up to fucking England.

Imagine any other industry in Scotland doing that? The tourist board saying its shit up here and England is better? It's a ludicrous situation to be in.

I can't agree more.

I don't know what vintage 8MileBU is, but among informed supporters I think the desire to compare us with England and dismiss comparisons with countries like (say) Norway as demeaning is definitely a generational thing. Look at the TV money, population and average attendances of England - then do the same for Norway. It's clear which is like us: and the answer is not England.

I've made this point before, but I was watching a friendly on the night St Johnstone lost to an unpronounceable Turkish side in EL qualifying. Group of people along from me thought it was a bad result and that it was shocking for Scottish clubs to be losing to teams from places like Turkey, Russia or Greece. It's like the increase in living standards, Bosman, satellite TV and the fall of communism never happened. Maybe 40 years ago you could've said that - but the development of football in Scandanavia, Eastern Europe and the former USSR is undeniable.

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I've made this point before, but I was watching a friendly on the night St Johnstone lost to an unpronounceable Turkish side in EL qualifying. Group of people along from me thought it was a bad result and that it was shocking for Scottish clubs to be losing to teams from places like Turkey, Russia or Greece. It's like the increase in living standards, Bosman, satellite TV and the fall of communism never happened. Maybe 40 years ago you could've said that - but the development of football in Scandanavia, Eastern Europe and the former USSR is undeniable.

This. Some people still seem outraged when we fail to compete with the likes of Serbia and Macedonia.

All thats happened is that we've stood still, while the rest of Europe has found their level.

Of course the other point is that we had a huge head start... Scotland established a national league in 1890 and went professional in 1891. Look at some of the other major European leagues, never mind many of the countries around our size. There was no national league in Germany until 1963 and it was not professional much before that. Countries like Greece, the Netherlands and Denmark only began national and professional leagues in the 1950s.

Accordingly it's no surprise we'd be pasting these teams in the 1960s but not 50 years later.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Of course the other point is that we had a huge head start... Scotland established a national league in 1890 and went professional in 1891. Look at some of the other major European leagues, never mind many of the countries around our size. There was no national league in Germany until 1963 and it was not professional much before that. Countries like Greece, the Netherlands and Denmark only began national and professional leagues in the 1950s.

Accordingly it's no surprise we'd be pasting these teams in the 1960s but not 50 years later.

Well yeah, that was the point I was making. 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This. Some people still seem outraged when we fail to compete with the likes of Serbia and Macedonia.

All thats happened is that we've stood still, while the rest of Europe has found their level.

This.

The Wha's Like Us mentality is still alive and well too as these very forums testify

Archived