New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

29 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Two of the worst posts I've read apart from anything by SF!!

You made the worst football post i have ever read.  "I am used to a better standard now"

Absolute welt :lol:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I don't know what vintage 8MileBU is, but among informed supporters I think the desire to compare us with England and dismiss comparisons with countries like (say) Norway as demeaning is definitely a generational thing. Look at the TV money, population and average attendances of England - then do the same for Norway. It's clear which is like us: and the answer is not England.

I've made this point before, but I was watching a friendly on the night St Johnstone lost to an unpronounceable Turkish side in EL qualifying. Group of people along from me thought it was a bad result and that it was shocking for Scottish clubs to be losing to teams from places like Turkey, Russia or Greece. It's like the increase in living standards, Bosman, satellite TV and the fall of communism never happened. Maybe 40 years ago you could've said that - but the development of football in Scandanavia, Eastern Europe and the former USSR is undeniable.

It's not a generational thing; it's an intelligence thing.

12 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

So, I said I would respond to this when I could be arsed and here we are. This may take a little time to explain so please be patient.

So, Scottish football IS shite IMO because the people running our game and clubs for the last 20-odd years are/were dinosaurs who thought they knew better and have left Scottish football years behind the rest of Europe. While the rest of Europe were buying into the satellite tv boom in the 90's, Scottish football sat scratching it's nuts favouring the good old cheap n' cheerful Sportscene & Scotsport, and only accepting the money Sky paid for Rangers and Celtic games.

The league restructuring process should have happened 20-odd years ago too, in-line with the money being offered by Sky, thus resulting in more competitive leagues and clubs getting a better share of the satellite tv money and finance to build upon. But no, during this time the SFA knew better, choosing to leave the league format for years in a way that just isn't feasible for a small country to have competitive divisions, chose to favour the Old Firm for satellite tv, and chose to spend a whack of money redeveloping Hampden into the soulless cauldron, shite for watching football at, which we now have as our national stadium. And once it became obvious our game was going down the pan, instead of doing the right thing to improve our game, we got Jim Farry's infamous 'Think Tank'. FFS...

Over the last 20-odd years, Sky and the other big subscription broadcasters have done no wrong here despite the greeting-faced and frankly, utter pish on this this thread about folk being brainwashed by Sky's marketing of the English game. No, we Scottish folk pay our Sky/BT subscriptions to watch the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga etc willingly, to watch the better product available to us. The big broadcasters have pumped money into various leagues across Europe, to the benefit of these leagues, clubs and European competitions, whilst we began falling further and further behind. If we'd bought into it all years ago Sky or whomever would be marketing our game the same as they do the EPL, La Liga etc.

So - IMO the reason so many folk 'support' an English team, or 'big' English team is a generational thing of the last 20-odd years, because many of us have grown up with the EPL on our tv screens playing in much more exciting domestic games, bigger stadiums and European competitions too. And like a poster mentioned earlier, I think many folk did watch these teams, and suddenly something just clicked inside them that made them decide to 'support' these clubs.

Finally, as for your dribble about why I 'support' Rangers (I support Bo'ness), I'm pretty sure 90% of this forum have seen me explain this to you time and time again. So slinking off with your tail between your legs just to come back every few weeks boring everyone by repeating the same old inane questions isn't going to change the answers you've been given.

A calamitous and appalling analysis.

Wrong in virtually every detail.

12 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Instead of cheerleading like a thick moron let's hear your take on it then?

Try not bore us all to tears though.

ETA: Actually don't bother, leave it to someone else, it'll only be utter torture to read.

Others have covered it, but we were actually early out of the blocks in chasing satellite TV.  However, we arsed it.

Our leagues are actually appropriately structured for a country of our size, but the whole SPL nonsense was damaging.

The suggestion that our league could have been marketed in the same way by international broadcasters, as those in England and Spain if only we'd done things differently, is utterly hilarious.

By the way, I just love the idea of you calling someone else, anybody else, a thick moron.  Hats off.

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Well, that was an utterly boring amount of nothing...

Indeed as others have covered, we were out the blocks early - with BSB, who were a pretty brief flash-in-the-pan. However, it was only once Sky bought them over things really escalated.

You're also scrambling desperately with your marketing chat too. If our game had moved with the times instead of becoming a diddy nation full of feeder clubs for England, then a strong Scottish football might've been an attractive option for Sky or whomever and put us in a better position to negotiate a big fee as regardless of which league or even which sport it is, if it's massively popular, Sky will market the f**k out of it.
Unfortunately though, Scottish football as a whole sat on their arses and did nowt.

Vague and unsubstantiated pish, I think you'll find.

Scottish football tried to make itself more marketable to Sky by bringing in the 10k seater rule so that grounds were more telegenic. That worked well, didn't it. Clubs spent what they couldn't afford and set themselves back years. Only Scottish football could f**k itself to court tv money.

28 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Well, that was an utterly boring amount of nothing...

Indeed as others have covered, we were out the blocks early - with BSB, who were a pretty brief flash-in-the-pan. However, it was only once Sky bought them over things really escalated.

You're also scrambling desperately with your marketing chat too. If our game had moved with the times instead of becoming a diddy nation full of feeder clubs for England, then a strong Scottish football might've been an attractive option for Sky or whomever and put us in a better position to negotiate a big fee as regardless of which league or even which sport it is, if it's massively popular, Sky will market the f**k out of it.
Unfortunately though, Scottish football as a whole sat on their arses and did nowt.

This is quite remarkable...and utterly wrong.

The buy out/merger of BSB and Sky was a necessity because both companies were losing hundreds of millions of Pounds.

Sky encouraged the formation of the Premier League and then hyped it like f**k for the sole purpose of selling subscriptions; however, Murdoch himself said on more than one occasion that if it didn't start making money within a few years he'd shut the whole thing down. The reason Sky concentrated their efforts on the English League is because there were 50-odd million potential customers in England (it's no coincidence that Sky are also very active in Italy & Germany where they are gradually dominating the pay-TV football market)

It may also have escaped your notice that Scottish football tried to copy the big spending English clubs in the late 90s and early 2000s when we also got a breakaway elite league and that said big spending ultimately led to the liquidation of Rangers, God knows how many administrations and the debt level  of a medium sized country.

The fact is that the TV market for Scottish football is and always has been very limited; have a look at BARB figures for years gone by, even the old firm games got nothing like the EPL and games involving Rangers or Celtic against The Rest are about the same level as middle ranking Championship games.

2 hours ago, StandFree03 said:

I actually forgot about that. Utterly horrendous.

I would love Jimmy boo to actually get involved in the debate and address some of the points I put to him but he seems unable to. 

Despite having explained this to you a number of times before my wee stalker....and hoping this might get you off my back once and for all.

Me and my family have been St Mirren fans and season ticket holders for decades now and they will always be our big team.

We also have friends from London and Essex who got us coming down for games at Upton Park so dont  get your knickers in a twist.  

8mile showing exactly why his posts are best restricted to the general nonsense part of the forum.

It's the idea that Scottish clubs have only just become cheap squad filler for English clubs, and that we only had to 'move with the times' (whatever that means) - they've been cherry picking our best players since the start of professional football. The only Scottish club that put themselves in a position to compete were Rangers, and they're also the only club to have hilariously died as a result.

I think I prefer him when he's just being his honest, raging, tramp-beating self. Seeing him try to make an actual contribution has been a painful exercise. Scotland and England in competition for 'thousands of years' ffs [emoji38]

Money has become far more important in terms of football success, as coaching techniques, fitness and experience have leveled out across leagues and countries.  At the same time more money than ever has come into football, thanks to advances in marketing and technology for pay TV.  The impact has been that rich leagues and rich clubs have far, far more success than ever before.  You can see this in terms of big clubs - Barcelona won two league titles between 1960 and 1990, Manchester United didn't win the league for 25 years.  The difference is also reflected in leagues - the bigger leagues have far more money and clubs in smaller leagues find it harder to compete in Europe.  The Dutch league used to produce teams that won the European Cup, now it's a feeder league, for example.

The idea that Scottish football could somehow have bucked this trend and 'competed' with a league ten times our size is nonsense.  

41 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Money has become far more important in terms of football success, as coaching techniques, fitness and experience have leveled out across leagues and countries.  At the same time more money than ever has come into football, thanks to advances in marketing and technology for pay TV.  The impact has been that rich leagues and rich clubs have far, far more success than ever before.  You can see this in terms of big clubs - Barcelona won two league titles between 1960 and 1990, Manchester United didn't win the league for 25 years.  The difference is also reflected in leagues - the bigger leagues have far more money and clubs in smaller leagues find it harder to compete in Europe.  The Dutch league used to produce teams that won the European Cup, now it's a feeder league, for example.

The idea that Scottish football could somehow have bucked this trend and 'competed' with a league ten times our size is nonsense.  

Good post.

Dear old 8mile really hasn't the first idea what he's on about.

^^^ complete cranium detachment

What a state to get yourself into over a couple of coloured dots. And being called out for talking utter guff.

Still getting knickers in a twist and frothing at the mouth over......nothing important [emoji23]

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

I'm comparing it to England mostly because it's the league that most of us are most familiar with. I may be wrong for doing so but as I've said previously, for me, it's a generational thing. A few posters have misunderstood my view or are just twisting the points I've made to suit their agenda. So just for clarity -

Yes, I know the English and Scottish leagues are no longer comparable, but I remember when I was a kid I used to get more excited about watching Scottish football than English football and there wasn't the huge gulf in quality that there is now.

So yeah, nowadays I probably am wrong for comparing our leagues, but they're what I'm most familiar with and I remember when they weren't so beyond comparison and it frustrates the f**k out of me.

It's not generational though.

I'm a decade older than you and when I was a kid, we didn't really get any Scottish football on TV at all in this part of Scotland. I was therefore also much more familiar with English football. I also saw a Scottish side win a European trophy, while others made great progress to semi finals and finals.  The first time I saw Scotland fail to qualify for a World Cup, I was very nearly twenty four years old.

None of that however, serves to alter the other factors that now mean our game can't sensibly be compared to the English one.  Neither does it support your theories about our game's historical relationship with satellite TV.

Our game has never been comparable to English Football.

We've had periods of time when we have had some very fine teams. Dundee in the early 60's and Celtic later in the decade and obviously Aberdeen and Dundee United had lesser periods where they could compete with the very best.

Simple fact is though is there's no need to even try and compare the two.

Our game might not be as shiny. We might not have sell out crowds at every stadium in the land and we certainly don't have one single 'world class' player in this county right now but it doesn't mean it's a terrible 'product'.

We should celebrate the good we do have in our game.

I think up until 1990 our game was comparable, that was why we played and often beat England every year.

It's almost pointless to compare what happens in England to anything now though, I can see why people do though.

Anyway Scottish football is grand, folk should chill out about it.

Archived