Queen of the South v Ayr united

Okay first of all the best team won, however, it was never a 4-1 battering. Defence was slack and gave QOS a goal of a start. Positives are that despite not playing much football Harkins looked class and Nesbitt was good. I think Moore and Nesbitt will partner well with Harkins behind adding some quality to the midfield. We really need to tighten up in defence though.
Dobbie was superb today and if he keeps that up then top 4 for Queens, however, I doubt he could keep performing to that level every week. So probably mid table which I think will keep their fans happy.

This. Queens were the better team, by a distance in the first half but i thought we shaded the second albeit with the game done as soon as the third went in. The goals we lost were shocking. The first will be repeated on public parks up and down the country tomorrow. At the second Ayr just kept standing off Dobbie. The wall's position at the free kick was asking for that strike and I'm not sure what the goalie was doing at the fourth.

The boy Nisbet was excellent. Big and strong but he has a very nice touch, and a great finish for his goal. Harkins will be a good signing but he was blowing out his arse after an hour.

That defence though. Wholesale changes needed or it's going to be a long season.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defence is a bombscare. We haven't bought well enough in the summer and it's been exposed brutally in the first two games. Meggatt is off the pace and a red card walking. Rose at least has potential and may come on to a game alongside Murphy, but you get the impression we're going to ship a lot of goals unless we sign someone important back there.

Harkins is evidently a player and will win us points on his own. Nisbet was also a big positive today. But far too many worrying signs and it's already clear the likes of Gilmour and Cairney are League One players that we can't afford to carry at this level.

24 minutes ago, Dug said:

Defence is a bombscare. We haven't bought well enough in the summer and it's been exposed brutally in the first two games. Meggatt is off the pace and a red card walking. Rose at least has potential and may come on to a game alongside Murphy, but you get the impression we're going to ship a lot of goals unless we sign someone important back there.

Harkins is evidently a player and will win us points on his own. Nisbet was also a big positive today. But far too many worrying signs and it's already clear the likes of Gilmour and Cairney are League One players that we can't afford to carry at this level.

McMillan or Balatoni fit the bill?

Not for me. We need a hardened centre half and Balatoni has never struck me as that. Can understand why we're keen on holding out for McKenna to come back from Aberdeen as he'd walk straight into our back line and be a first pick.

Not that he's hardened as such, but he's so far ahead of what we've got right now.

2 minutes ago, Dug said:

Not for me. We need a hardened centre half and Balatoni has never struck me as that. Can understand why we're keen on holding out for McKenna to come back from Aberdeen as he'd walk straight into our back line and be a first pick.

Personally feel we need some vocal experience in the back line to get the defence and midfield in front of them sorted. 

ETA: I don't know if that's actually available as no idea of Balatoni or McMillan come under that bracket. 

Can't understand the comments about Harkins. In my opinion he looked hopeless. In all probability the talk about us being interested in him was just uninformed nonsense but if there was any truth in it then I think we had a lucky escape. The only Ayr player who made any impression was Nisbet who is on loan from Partick. Dobbie's performance was worth the entrance price on it's own. The poor crowd must be a terrible frustration for the Board.

Can't understand the comments about Harkins. In my opinion he looked hopeless. In all probability the talk about us being interested in him was just uninformed nonsense but if there was any truth in it then I think we had a lucky escape. The only Ayr player who made any impression was Nisbet who is on loan from Partick. Dobbie's performance was worth the entrance price on it's own. The poor crowd must be a terrible frustration for the Board.

What nonsense bearing in mind he hasn't played any games this season Harkins was class, second best player on the park behind Dobbie.

10 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

What nonsense bearing in mind he hasn't played any games this season Harkins was class, second best player on the park behind Dobbie.

I'd agree with that, I was impressed with Harkins particularly in the 1st half.

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Depressingly obvious outcome today.  Our defence just don't seem to be up to the job. 

To be completely honest, I and one or two others I've spoken too, thought your defence may be the weak link. In attack you have good players and your midfield doesn't lack too much. But as good as Boyle and Devlin were in League 1, both ended up playing down at that level for a good reason. Reasonable enough players, who will struggle against better sides. I'll just add that our squad has a few in the same category, I'm honestly not trying to wind anyone up.

ETA: my disliking for Queens has grown hugely since you managed to sign Dobbie... :(

To be completely honest, I and one or two others I've spoken too, thought your defence may be the weak link. In attack you have good players and your midfield doesn't lack too much. But as good as Boyle and Devlin were in League 1, both ended up playing down at that level for a good reason. Reasonable enough players, who will struggle against better sides. I'll just add that our squad has a few in the same category, I'm honestly not trying to wind anyone up.

ETA: my disliking for Queens has grown hugely since you managed to sign Dobbie... [emoji20]

Interesting thoughts but I honestly believe that our full backs though not great today are capable of competing at this level. Our main problems seem to be central defence.

This. Queens were the better team, by a distance in the first half but i thought we shaded the second albeit with the game done as soon as the third went in. The goals we lost were shocking. The first will be repeated on public parks up and down the country tomorrow. At the second Ayr just kept standing off Dobbie. The wall's position at the free kick was asking for that strike and I'm not sure what the goalie was doing at the fourth.

I think after the 3rd goal went in we visibly sat back and were rightly punished for it. After the 3rd Ayr continued to push without doing any kind of damage and Dobbie's class finished them off completely by setting up Dykes.

I think you're being extremely harsh with the goals. The first was absolutely awful from Ayr's point of view and self inflicted but that's it I'd say. Dobbie's class shone for his goal. If anyone was at fault it was the 'keeper but Dobbie has scored numerous goals like that for us; he has hit the shot before the 'keeper has had time to think. I don't think the wall was badly positioned for the free kick I just don't think anyone expected Del to go for that side; myself included. For the fourth I don't know what more the 'keeper could have done. It was just another superb piece of play by Dobbie and a good calm finish by Dykes. Fleming had to commit himself.

Harkins is evidently a player and will win us points on his own.

I was discussing this with my mate. I reckon Harkins will do well for Ayr and at 0-0 he'll be a great threat for you. But in games like today (which as a new team to the division, you're going to have frequently) I don't know if he's the best player to have. He's never appeared to be a grafter and I don't see him turning a 0-2 scoreline around all by himself. I'm basing that on what I've seen of him in the flesh so may well be wrong, but I reckon in a scrap he's a luxury player when you really need a dogged player. And with that, Adams and Harkins may well make a good partnership in the middle for Ayr.

Was really impressed with Jacobs tapping and dykes today however as skyline says above wow.
He is far to good for this level not that I'm complaining his touch skill and movement is a joy to watch brilliant simply brilliant again skylines correct worth the admission fee alone.

Stephen Dobbie was class today. Really impressed by the start Dykes has made. Given we were without Higgins, Millar and Hilson a most pleasing afternoon.

Derek Lyle now on 99 goals for us. Great servant to the club.

I was surprised Lyle didn't get a wee bit longer today. A hat-trick would have been the perfect way to reach the 100 mark.

....' Harkins second best player on the pitch after Dobbie'....you are having a laugh. That was him on his debut when hopefully looking to impress. See what you think in a few weeks time when he has lost interest. In my opinion his performance absolutely epitomised the attitude of many players whose careers are on a downward trajectory and know it. Contrast with Dobbie ( who has played at a much higher level , similarly hasn't had much game time and is older ) who was sharp , interested and looked like a team player. Harkins whole body language was ' I'm too good for Ayr '. If you're happy then fair play but you are welcome to him.

11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Stephen Dobbie was class today. Really impressed by the start Dykes has made. Given we were without Higgins, Millar and Hilson a most pleasing afternoon.

Derek Lyle now on 99 goals for us. Great servant to the club.

Dobbie has 57. I havent completely ruled out him beating Lyle to 100 yet if he is going to play like that!

Archived