Oliver Burke

Contra

1 hour ago, haggisbeastie said:

I think Jenas has a kind of attachment to Forest - were they not his first club?

Anyway, he did not wait long to leave them either, did he?

Apart from that, I like him as a pundit...

They were, and he's from Nottingham too. 

Not sure if it's the same article but Jenas had one on the BBC the other day talking about how Martin O'Neill signed him for Villa.

Even though O'Neill had left ages before and it was actually McLeish.

I wouldn't take an article from a bloke so stupid he can't remember which manager he played under too seriously.

That article from Jenas is horrendous. I love the fact that he points to his own career of abject mediocrity as a guide. He achieved nothing

Abject mediocrity. ...450 games, mostly at the highest level in England...and...21 international caps. Not my idea of abject mediocrity.

The Jenas article is just typical of the insular attitude of English, and probably British, football. He says the move is bad because he hasn't heard of the team as he never bothers to pay attention to a league that is above the EPL in the UEFA rankings. If more British players played abroad I think there would be a huge benefit to the respective national sides but attitudes like this probably prevent that. I would much rather see young Scottish players moving to smaller clubs in La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga than to take the money in the English Championship.

36 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

The Jenas article is just typical of the insular attitude of English, and probably British, football. He says the move is bad because he hasn't heard of the team as he never bothers to pay attention to a league that is above the EPL in the UEFA rankings. If more British players played abroad I think there would be a huge benefit to the respective national sides but attitudes like this probably prevent that. I would much rather see young Scottish players moving to smaller clubs in La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga than to take the money in the English Championship.

I'd imagine the fact that an English player can earn many, many times more playing at home than they could be moving probably contributes more.

I'd imagine the fact that an English player can earn many, many times more playing at home than they could be moving probably contributes more.

A lot of big clubs in Europe can afford just as much as most EPL sides. It's a contributing factor but you can't say that ignorance of foreign leagues, as well as things like an unwillingness to learn new languages and experience cultures they're not used to, don't play a major part.

A lot of big clubs in Europe can afford just as much as most EPL sides. It's a contributing factor but you can't say that ignorance of foreign leagues, as well as things like an unwillingness to learn new languages and experience cultures they're not used to, don't play a major part.

Big big clubs aye. But other than that they can't.

Real Madrid got 81 million for winning La Liga, the team that gets relegated from the EPL this season will get 97.

Sadly the top level of English Football is so far up its own backside concepts such as wanting to experience another culture or league above money is an alien concept to them and it always will be. They will argue now because Hart is now in Italy it means that English Players aren't scared to move when the reality is such he is only there because City wouldn't let him join a team in England who they would consider a rival.

It is no coincidence Bale has thrived since moving to Spain, yes he was on fire for Spurs before they sold him but IMO his game only went up a notch after going to Real, I hope one day Burke and Gauld can at least make an impact out with the UK, not saying to the same level but at least to a level which has more non UK Teams looking at Scottish Talents.

17 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Of course they can, but the big difference is that they're sensible and don't want to give them that.  They have no incentive to. 

I don't doubt that there's a reticence there on the player's part, but it's a massive part of it that average players can earn far larger amounts at home due to the way the PL is.

Big big clubs aye. But other than that they can't.

Real Madrid got 81 million for winning La Liga, the team that gets relegated from the EPL this season will get 97.

I agree that they can pay more now but that's not always been the case. Even when Italian or Spanish clubs could offer comparative money to their English counterparts there weren't any players moving abroad. Look at when English clubs were banned from Europe, more of their players moved to Scotland than to foreign leagues. Money is a major factor but you can't say that insularity doesn't come into it.

Of course they can, but the big difference is that they're sensible and don't want to give them that.  They have no incentive to. 

I don't doubt that there's a reticence there on the player's part, but it's a massive part of it that average players can earn far larger amounts at home due to the way the PL is.

Do the Spanish not have some sort of tax friendly arrangements in place for eu players? Dunno if it's enough to mitigate for the epl wage madness though.

4 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Money is a major factor but you can't say that insularity doesn't come into it.

I'm with you on that. If you look away from football the same mentality exists. Despite having similar populations, Spain, France, Germany and Italy all send twice as many students abroad through the ERASMUS program as the UK does.

16 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I agree that they can pay more now but that's not always been the case. Even when Italian or Spanish clubs could offer comparative money to their English counterparts there weren't any players moving abroad. Look at when English clubs were banned from Europe, more of their players moved to Scotland than to foreign leagues. Money is a major factor but you can't say that insularity doesn't come into it.

There are a few examples I can think of off of the top of my head of players from England moving abroad in he days before ridiculous money in the PL. Platt, Gazza, Hoddle, Lineker, Keegan and that's just a few without actually thinking about it. So whilst there probably still wasn't a huge amount of English players abroad overall, there was definitely a fair few who did.

Guest DAVIDB69
Steven fletcher  went to marsielle and look how much his game has improve from playing in a foreign league.  He has started this season on fire and will be leading the line today.

He has done zero for Sheffield Wednesday so far they have gone backwards since last season