Oliver Burke

Contra

I don't understand the inconsistency argument regarding Burke. He played against Malta and against Lithuania, both games for which we were favourites. He was omitted for an away game against ostensibly tougher opposition in Slovakia. Isn't that the way most managers would handle a precocious but as yet uncooked talent? Give them a run-out in the shootie-ins but go back to the tried and tested when the going gets tough?  And if he's not going to play under any circumstances, why get stripped?

How would you feel if you were the only player of 25 man squad (or however many) who was sitting up in the stand while the other 13 where stripped and on the bench. Probably only about 5 of those 13 had a chance of being called into action.

It is a bizarre decision on Strachan's part.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I've stuck up for Strachan in the past and before the weekend I was in the give him a chance camp, opinion has changed now but we don't know what has happened behind the scenes, everything points to Strachan being a dick and I'd probably agree with that but we don't know for sure.

I'm not slating Burke here or writing him off or saying he is the next Bale, we are basing our judgement on him on his potential he didn't do much in his first couple of competitive games. Anya has been a more effective player but Burke should be a huge player for us in the coming years, Forrest Gump looked to be coming on to a game but missed that sitter and the way the fans are feeling he has probably blown it with them.

Just another negative defining moment in another Scotland managers career.

Yup.  And, like most of them, he brought it upon himself.

1 hour ago, conley said:

How would you feel if you were the only player of 25 man squad (or however many) who was sitting up in the stand while the other 13 where stripped and on the bench. Probably only about 5 of those 13 had a chance of being called into action.

It is a bizarre decision on Strachan's part.

It's a ridiculous decision - when it comes to his people skills Strachan is an absolute dinosaur. He'd be sacked by a lot of organisations for the way he speaks to reporters alone.

35 minutes ago, Wren Road said:

I wouldn't be surprised for Burke to not play under Strachan again. It was a clear message of intent to our biggest prospect. Feel a bit for Burke as he can't really win

The poor guy probably feels like he's wasting his time. He won't enjoy himself much getting humped 2-0 by Central and Eastern European countries for the next decade and a half, so he's probably wondering why he bothers.

42 minutes ago, Wren Road said:

I wouldn't be surprised for Burke to not play under Strachan again. It was a clear message of intent to our biggest prospect. Feel a bit for Burke as he can't really win

He barely got away with it with certain other players, but to refuse to pick the brightest young player (and arguably the one playing at the highest level for us) would be crazy. He'll walk from the job before he resorts to this.

20 hours ago, Tommy Nooka said:

How else do footballers run? What a lot of shite this 'only runs in straight lines' nonsense is, Gareth Bale mainly runs in straight lines because he's strong and quick, I rarely see players weaving about like they're dodging a sniper. Of course some players can jink a little when dribbling but they still generally run in straight lines, they aren't tacking their way up the pitch.

When one of the LB's was allegedly injured then it's entirely relevant.

It's a coaches term. For instance Michael OHalloran also runs in straight lines. It means they don't have a high level of ability to drop a shoulder or more so have a trick to go go either side of the opposition player. To give you obvious examples in different eras as I don't know you age. George Best, Jimmy Johnstone, Willie Henderson, Barrie McKay and James Forrest don't run in straight lines. They have the ability to consistently beat a player on either his left or right side. 

So Robertson? was injured but he was on the bench when there was a fit LB on the park and another fit LB on the bench. My point is that but he leaves a player out who he started in the previous two matches and covers another position. Imo I am in no doubt he was left out of the squad for other reasons than his ability. 

It's a coaches term. For instance Michael OHalloran also runs in straight lines. It means they don't have a high level of ability to drop a shoulder or more so have a trick to go go either side of the opposition player. To give you obvious examples in different eras as I don't know you age. George Best, Jimmy Johnstone, Willie Henderson, Barrie McKay and James Forrest don't run in straight lines. They have the ability to consistently beat a player on either his left or right side. 

So Robertson? was injured but he was on the bench when there was a fit LB on the park and another fit LB on the bench. My point is that but he leaves a player out who he started in the previous two matches and covers another position. Imo I am in no doubt he was left out of the squad for other reasons than his ability. 

I'll give you best, Johnstone etc, but Forrest rarely beats his man

Was Burke in Slovakia?  I find not having him even on the bench perplexing.  If he was there, what's the harm in having him as an option to bring on?

We had 13 on the substitute bench against Lithuania.  We had 12 against Slovakia, with Greer and Burke being dropped from the match-day squad and McGinn coming in.  Barrie McKay and Steven Naismith were called up but didn't make it in to either squad.

If Burke was left at home because Strachan didn't want to use him that's almost fair enough, but if he travelled and just sat in the stand (be it alongside Greer, McKay and Naismith or not), when there was clearly space on the bench then it must be a deliberate attempt by the manager to undermine the lad.  Maybe Strachan thinks he's getting too big for his boots and needed brought back down to earth?

Was Burke in Slovakia?  I find not having him even on the bench perplexing.  If he was there, what's the harm in having him as an option to bring on?

We had 13 on the substitute bench against Lithuania.  We had 12 against Slovakia, with Greer and Burke being dropped from the match-day squad and McGinn coming in.  Barrie McKay and Steven Naismith were called up but didn't make it in to either squad.

If Burke was left at home because Strachan didn't want to use him that's almost fair enough, but if he travelled and just sat in the stand (be it alongside Greer, McKay and Naismith or not), when there was clearly space on the bench then it must be a deliberate attempt by the manager to undermine the lad.  Maybe Strachan thinks he's getting too big for his boots and needed brought back down to earth?

Can't for the life of me recall where I read or heard it but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Naismith, McKay and Burke were all sent home after the Lithuania game.

On 14 October 2016 at 12:08, Rabinho said:

Can't for the life of me recall where I read or heard it but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Naismith, McKay and Burke were all sent home after the Lithuania game.

Yes I've posted a few about this on the 'Gordon Strachan' topic. You are allowed 12 on the bench. Couldn't get my head round this either. Strachan said he wasn't experienced enough for this match!  (McGinn who came on, is?)  Starts him in the previous two very important matches, then leaves him out of the 12 subs named. Subs bench included two sub goalies. When was the last time and how many times has a team at any level required to use 3 goalies in the same match? Hamilton is also experienced? :lol:

I know McKay was ok to leave but not sure about Naismith but Burke was in the stand. 

Burke's boss has phoned Strachan asking him the reason he wasn't in at least the 12 subs when he started the previous two. He phoned as he couldn't understand it either. Obviously like me, was there another reason? Also he was unhappy that Burke like McKay wasn't allowed to return to his club early. Wish I knew what was said. I hope Strachan had a good answer and not sarcastic one!!

Imo there is certainly another reason and nothing to do with lack of experience. 

3 hours ago, Myview said:

Yes I've posted a few about this on the 'Gordon Strachan' topic. You are allowed 12 on the bench. Couldn't get my head round this either. Strachan said he wasn't experienced enough for this match!  (McGinn who came on, is?)  Starts him in the previous two very important matches, then leaves him out of the 12 subs named. Subs bench included two sub goalies. When was the last time and how many times has a team at any level required to use 3 goalies in the same match? Hamilton is also experienced? :lol:

I know McKay was ok to leave but not sure about Naismith but Burke was in the stand. 

Burke's boss has phoned Strachan asking him the reason he wasn't in at least the 12 subs when he started the previous two. He phoned as he couldn't understand it either. Obviously like me, was there another reason? Also he was unhappy that Burke like McKay wasn't allowed to return to his club early. Wish I knew what was said. I hope Strachan had a good answer and not sarcastic one!!

Imo there is certainly another reason and nothing to do with lack of experience. 

Think there's some sort of rule about needing to have three keepers in a matchday squad and that the keepers need to be actual goalkeepers and not outfield players in a goalie top (North Korea tried to only name 2 for the World Cup I think, then tried to name a striker as their third choice but they were denied on both scores). Other than that though, you're right. I think Burke was with the squad in Slovakia though, as his tweet, later deleted, would seem to suggest.

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think there's some sort of rule about needing to have three keepers in a matchday squad and that the keepers need to be actual goalkeepers and not outfield players in a goalie top (North Korea tried to only name 2 for the World Cup I think, then tried to name a striker as their third choice but they were denied on both scores). Other than that though, you're right. I think Burke was with the squad in Slovakia though, as his tweet, later deleted, would seem to suggest.

Good shout. Had a quick google looks as if the rule was changed in 2014. Must have three goalies in 23. My apologies Gordon. However he's not getting away that easy. He named three LBs in the 23. Also he said Tierney was playing because Robertson had a achilles injury so why put him on the bench?

Anyway that doesn't matter, very strange decision leaving Burke out of the 23 after playing in the previous two matches. Can't be often a player's boss has phoned the international manager asking for the reason for his omission. Especially a foreign manager taking the time to do this. 

Yes he was definitely in the stand watching the match. Apart from leaving him out that was another of his managers gripe that he wasn't allowed to come home to prepare for this weekends match like McKay.