Oliver Burke

Contra

While I get your point about the positions having nothing to do with anything (and I think there's a rule about having three keepers in the squad anyway so that's redundant), surely it shows that he was still going to have players (like a third goalie or a third left back ) who were never going to play and so it makes even less sense to just stick him on the bench in a tracksuit.

Leaving him unstripped is inexplicable on the face of it.

Inexperience would be a ludicrously inconsistent reason for his omission, were we to believe it.  It can only really be read as some kind of statement, but what's the point in that if its nature is veiled?

I wondered if it was a big two fingers to those who criticised Strachan for substituting Burke on Saturday.  In terms of spiteful, petulance though, that would be the behaviour of a madman. 

If it's a punishment for something, he should either be up front about it, or not go for such a public sanction.

It really does reek of a manager who has completely surrendered any trace of a grip.

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

While I get your point about the positions having nothing to do with anything (and I think there's a rule about having three keepers in the squad anyway so that's redundant), surely it shows that he was still going to have players (like a third goalie or a third left back ) who were never going to play and so it makes even less sense to just stick him on the bench in a tracksuit.

Well yeah, I'm not arguing about Strachan being a fucking moron. Its just bemusing the amount of folk going all "BUT HE PUT TWO LEFT BACKS ON THE BENCH!!!", as if its in any way relevant.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wondered if it was a big two fingers to those who criticised Strachan for substituting Burke on Saturday.  In terms of spiteful, petulance though, that would be the behaviour of a madman. 

I'd say in terms of spiteful petulance, it's entirely in character for Strachan.

50 minutes ago, Myview said:

At present very pacey. However inexperienced, runs in straight lines, poor touch, doesn't drop a shoulder and doesn't have a trick to go past defenders. Not convinced he can finish under pressure. Hey but he is only 19. 

Strachan to leave him out of the squad after starting him v Malta and Lithuania suggests there must be a story behind the omission. He listed two left backs on the bench. 

How else do footballers run? What a lot of shite this 'only runs in straight lines' nonsense is, Gareth Bale mainly runs in straight lines because he's strong and quick, I rarely see players weaving about like they're dodging a sniper. Of course some players can jink a little when dribbling but they still generally run in straight lines, they aren't tacking their way up the pitch.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well yeah, I'm not arguing about Strachan being a fucking moron. Its just bemusing the amount of folk going all "BUT HE PUT TWO LEFT BACKS ON THE BENCH!!!", as if its in any way relevant.

When one of the LB's was allegedly injured then it's entirely relevant.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not overly, no. Folk seem to be suggesting he left Burke out to include two goalkeepers/left backs 

It's a reflection of the fact that although there was some clear redundancy on the bench, he still made a point of ensuring a given player was kept away from it.

Noticed once or twice Burke was lazy with his pressing when Scotland lost the ball vs Lithuania. Still he would have been the main man to bring on at 1 - 0 down yesterday, his intent and power could have made a difference. 

Noticed that too. But it wasn't worth being dropped from the squad and lining up with a bench one man short, was it? Bewildering by Strachan.

All Strachan had to do if Burke said something was not play him, and repremand him behind closed doors. If it was such a small matter as to not make a public deal of it, then it should have stayed behind closed doors.

But then we go back to the "he's a c**t" thing, and wonder if he's actually capable of that.

If Burke done anything really serious I could understand Strachan leaving him out of the squad.

If it's not for anything serious then Strachan really is a fud who's time in management has been and gone, the boys 19 for f**k sake, being left out like that can lead to feeling humiliated and badly dent your confidence.

Edited by ayrmad

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Burke wouldn't have made one bit of difference, let's not kid ourselves on here. 

You'd think he is already as good as Gareth Bale the way people are going on about him.

He's certainly a lot better than Ikechi Anya or James Forrest.  But that's not the point.  The point is the way Strachan handled it.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

He's certainly a lot better than Ikechi Anya or James Forrest.  But that's not the point.  The point is the way Strachan handled it.

I've stuck up for Strachan in the past and before the weekend I was in the give him a chance camp, opinion has changed now but we don't know what has happened behind the scenes, everything points to Strachan being a dick and I'd probably agree with that but we don't know for sure.

I'm not slating Burke here or writing him off or saying he is the next Bale, we are basing our judgement on him on his potential he didn't do much in his first couple of competitive games. Anya has been a more effective player but Burke should be a huge player for us in the coming years, Forrest Gump looked to be coming on to a game but missed that sitter and the way the fans are feeling he has probably blown it with them.

Just another negative defining moment in another Scotland managers career.

I don't understand the inconsistency argument regarding Burke. He played against Malta and against Lithuania, both games for which we were favourites. He was omitted for an away game against ostensibly tougher opposition in Slovakia. Isn't that the way most managers would handle a precocious but as yet uncooked talent? Give them a run-out in the shootie-ins but go back to the tried and tested when the going gets tough?  And if he's not going to play under any circumstances, why get stripped?

7 minutes ago, Beano 3d said:

I don't understand the inconsistency argument regarding Burke. He played against Malta and against Lithuania, both games for which we were favourites. He was omitted for an away game against ostensibly tougher opposition in Slovakia. Isn't that the way most managers would handle a precocious but as yet uncooked talent? Give them a run-out in the shootie-ins but go back to the tried and tested when the going gets tough?  And if he's not going to play under any circumstances, why get stripped?

But that's not what Strachan said. He just said some shit about experience. And he played Paterson and Tierney and brought on McGinn, making that argument absolutely bollocks.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But that's not what Strachan said. He just said some shit about experience. And he played Paterson and Tierney and brought on McGinn, making that argument absolutely bollocks.

Burke hasn't played many games of football period. I don't think he was referring to international experience.

Why was an injured left back stripped then? Honestly this is a fantastically tenous defence if Strachan. We all know that he was being spiteful rather than strategical. The irony is Burke would have been an ideal option to bring against Slovakia. Strachan put his own ego ahead of the best interests of the team....and not for the first time.