Airdrie v Stranraer

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulation to Airdrie on winning the Craig Charleston show. Truly awful for both teams.
Stranraer looked nervy at the back from the first minute until the last. Every time Airdrie went forward I was worried they'd score.
From where I was sitting I didn't think the first goal was offside but can see why Stranraer fans are calling for it, was pretty tight. I'd concern myself more with our centre backs shirking out of tackles, letting balls bounce, standing still claiming for offsides rather than blame the referee.
Second half we improved slightly and had wave after wave of attack but only really half chances other than the penalty.
A team with good forwards will really punish that Airdrie defence. Number three was awful and did nothing but foul.
Impressed with Russell as always and the number six.
Have to agree with comments about our goalkeeper. He's going to cost us big time if he's doesn't cut out that nonsense. Does it week after week.
Need two centre halfs in urgently. McKeown on paper is a god signing but has completely lost what he had in his last spell with us, Bell is going through the motions and no where near what he was last season.
You'd think with a former defender as manager we'd be ok there, certainly not the case.

Good post matt. Cammy is a good goalie as was proven last season however every time an opposition striker goes through on him he always feels he has to leave one on him. Or argue that the striker was late on him. Even bell was telling him to calm down. Centre halves are really going through the motions.

Highlights confirm Ryan was onside. Never a penalty, that doesn't fall into the 'if you gave those each time there'd be 10 penalties a game' category, that falls into the 'if you give those football is finished as a sport' category. The Stranraer players didn't appeal for it and when the whistle blew all assumed it was a foul against them. Stranraer should have had a penalty for Ryan handballing Gibson's free-kick though, so I've no issue with them getting a penalty in the game. What has prevented Stranraer getting promoted in the last couple of years is a lack of quality up front, they get to the final third and then just have nothing unless Gibson pulls something out the hat. That'll be no different this year, but their defence looks worse this year than previous years so would expect them to drop back to 5/6th this year.

Some people will say that was our poorest performance so far, but in reality that's the most solid we've looked at the back all season, and we created 3 or 4 great chances. I'm far more encouraged after that than I was after our previous 2 league games. We're toughening up at the back and becoming more direct in our attacking play, that is what will give us success this year.

19 hours ago, TrueDiamond said:
19 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Highlights confirm Ryan was onside. Never a penalty, that doesn't fall into the 'if you gave those each time there'd be 10 penalties a game' category, that falls into the 'if you give those football is finished as a sport' category. The Stranraer players didn't appeal for it and when the whistle blew all assumed it was a foul against them. Stranraer should have had a penalty for Ryan handballing Gibson's free-kick though, so I've no issue with them getting a penalty in the game. What has prevented Stranraer getting promoted in the last couple of years is a lack of quality up front, they get to the final third and then just have nothing unless Gibson pulls something out the hat. That'll be no different this year, but their defence looks worse this year than previous years so would expect them to drop back to 5/6th this year.

Some people will say that was our poorest performance so far, but in reality that's the most solid we've looked at the back all season, and we created 3 or 4 great chances. I'm far more encouraged after that than I was after our previous 2 league games. We're toughening up at the back and becoming more direct in our attacking play, that is what will give us success this year.

Playing at home and blatant time wasting to protect a disputed lead, don't fair well for the diamonds this season.

19 hours ago, TrueDiamond said:

17 minutes ago, waysider said:

Having seen the footage 3 times now I'm still not sure what penalty was for although I assume it was a push by MacDonald. An extremely soft decision.

You must have missed that look again, also Ryan hand balled a Gibson goal bound shot look again for that. All Stranraer in second half, Airdrie deploying time wasting tactics, bad for a home side.

You must have missed that look again, also Ryan hand balled a Gibson goal bound shot look again for that. All Stranraer in second half, Airdrie deploying time wasting tactics, bad for a home side.

Suppose we could've deployed the 'kick anything that moves tactics' but I think I'll settle for playing for time instead.

You don't half talk some rubbish. It certainly wasn't all stranraer second half, certainly a spell of about 10-15 mins you had all the possession, in my opinion I didn't think it was a penalty at the time, but seeing the highlights can see why the ref gave it. The second shout not a chance in hell was that a penalty. As for time wasting, don't think we did, but ask yourself if stranraer were 1 up would they have employed the alleged same tactics.

Just now, thomas 62 said:

The last couple of minutes we had the opportunity to take the ball in the corner but adam Brown went for a shot at goal and in all fairness I wouldn't mind us taking the ball in the corner every team in this league does it when in control and with a couple of minutes to go. When your 1 nil up and you've had chances to make it 3 or 4 goals a panick from fans can set it. However if we had taking our opportunites we could easily have scored 3. The reality is the league is stronger this year Airdrie have improved and livvy and alloa are strong competition where as stranrear have not improved and I expect a struggle for stranrear this year.

The last couple of minutes we had the opportunity to take the ball in the corner but adam Brown went for a shot at goal and in all fairness I wouldn't mind us taking the ball in the corner every team in this league does it when in control and with a couple of minutes to go. When your 1 nil up and you've had chances to make it 3 or 4 goals a panick from fans can set it. However if we had taking our opportunites we could easily have scored 3. The reality is the league is stronger this year Airdrie have improved and livvy and alloa are strong competition where as stranrear have not improved and I expect a struggle for stranrear this year.

How is the league stronger this year? Dunfermline and Ayr are probably better teams than Alloa and livi.

18 hours ago, Cooper81 said:

Airdrie were the better team we opened up the stranrear defense more and our chances were more clear cut. Ryan and Russell will admit by their own high standards they could have scored another goal or 2 between them. Stranrear had a penalty which I would need to the highlights to se if it was a penalty. The Stranrear player had a leg breaker of a challenge and others refs would have sent him off. I said at beginning of season I thought stranrear would struggle this year so far I'm proven to be correct.

What game were you at?

1 hour ago, carlukediamond said:

You don't half talk some rubbish. It certainly wasn't all stranraer second half, certainly a spell of about 10-15 mins you had all the possession, in my opinion I didn't think it was a penalty at the time, but seeing the highlights can see why the ref gave it. The second shout not a chance in hell was that a penalty. As for time wasting, don't think we did, but ask yourself if stranraer were 1 up would they have employed the alleged same tactics.

Freeze frame at second penalty shout, deliberate hand to ball.

20 minutes ago, onlythelonely1 said:

How is the league stronger this year? Dunfermline and Ayr are probably better teams than Alloa and livi.

Dunfermline perhaps but Ayr looked very average whenever I saw them. 

Archived