Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

The fence at central park cowdenbeath has nothing to do with keeping spectators off the pitch, it is to pervent cars or bits of going into the spectator areas. Stock car racing in the main is a full contact sport, i.e you use your car to hit others and that often results in cars hitting the fence

Anyway a lot of grounds had segregation fences in the 80, made from wire mesh to stop missiles being thrown, didnt stop things like darts though

New book out with loads of new pictures; https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/scotland/639226/lifted-over-the-turnstiles-new-book-reveals-scottish-football-stadium-photos-not-seen-for-50-years/

Here's some from the article;

The Borough Briggs Pillbox

Borough-Briggs-Pill-Box-768x512.jpg.4166035c8be9c67cd377b8f163a3f683.jpg

Brechin's famous hedge in it's infancy

Glebe-Brechin-City-FC-1949-12-21-00_01-CDCT-768x562.jpg.45077ead4140d473b618deac6558f490.jpg

East End Park 1968

East-End-Dunfermline-_1722-755x564.jpg.d2e8f6c97b052a821dd739d1b0075af5.jpg

Gayfield 1950

Gayfield-Arbroath-FC-1950-10-04-Gayfield-Park-CDCT-620x310.jpg.a7cbb710c92cb406df48fd24f5ebfa71.jpg

The main stand at Tannadice under construction in 1961

Tannadice-1961-564x564.jpg.02aae9a96417be9b32bd0000c87d1a7f.jpg

The main stand under construction at Station Park, 1958

Station-H269-1958-08-12-Forfar-Athletic-new-stand-building-CDCT-705x564.jpg.a162e7281f84f75014d6b9d8b8730130.jpg

Fans up the pylon at East End Park, 1968

East-End-Dunfermline-FC-1968-05-01-Fans-on-the-Pylon-CDCT.jpg-564x564.jpg.7a4650c9d048951608fab263dd0c2ea6.jpg

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

New book out with loads of new pictures; https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/scotland/639226/lifted-over-the-turnstiles-new-book-reveals-scottish-football-stadium-photos-not-seen-for-50-years/

Here's some from the article;

Gayfield 1950

Gayfield-Arbroath-FC-1950-10-04-Gayfield-Park-CDCT-620x310.jpg.a7cbb710c92cb406df48fd24f5ebfa71.jpg

That must be one of the most unchanged since 1950 views of a ground.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Here's a rarely seen image of the Pars players celebrating after Craig Faulconbridge's famous equaliser against Celtic at East End Park

fbrdge.thumb.jpg.c54e42e806b677c3b26e3770940ca3b1.jpg

I barely slept for a week after that goal, was convinced we were stopping the ten in a row that day, absolutely battered Dunfermline but only one goal to show for it then that freakish looping header dropped in to level it with just a few minutes left. 

Thankfully we got the win the following weekend v St Johnstone but was a bag of nerves all week, will never forget that sick feeling I had after that bizzare and almost very costly goal.

On a sidenote East End Park is and was one of the best of the old style grounds, even with the new stands behind each goal it still feels like a proper ground and always great views and a top atmosphere when we go there. 

2 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

I barely slept for a week after that goal, was convinced we were stopping the ten in a row that day, absolutely battered Dunfermline but only one goal to show for it then that freakish looping header dropped in to level it with just a few minutes left. 

Thankfully we got the win the following weekend v St Johnstone but was a bag of nerves all week, will never forget that sick feeling I had after that bizzare and almost very costly goal.

On a sidenote East End Park is and was one of the best of the old style grounds, even with the new stands behind each goal it still feels like a proper ground and always great views and a top atmosphere when we go there. 

I wasn't at the game (was dragged by my parents to a shite birthday party for my uncle, who was/is a Rangers/Sevco fan) but watched in on TV. Joyous scenes at the equaliser.

I'm not really a fan of East End now at all. It's just utter basic and lacking in character.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Here's a rarely seen image of the Pars players celebrating after Craig Faulconbridge's famous equaliser against Celtic at East End Park

Why did Dunfermline play in their change  strip?

On 02/04/2018 at 14:00, Flybhoy said:

The old Beach End at Pittodrie, where the Richard Donald stand is now.

Aberdeen+FC+1980+Scottish+League+Champions.jpg

That's obviously not during a match - there are no goalposts. Was this when they paraded the Cup-Winners' Cup?

A new book has been launched called Lifted Over The Turnstiles, which features some amazing old photos of Scottish grounds, which might appeal to P&B posters, particularly those on this thread.

DC Thomson (who have published the book) are running a competition at the moment, with 10 copies of the book up for grabs. Just got to tell them your favourite Scottish football memory to enter. I emailed Div before joining to check it was cool to come in with a first post that is promoting a competition elsewhere as I know that's not really good form for a forum. I'm planning on sticking about though.

Anyway, link to the competition is below:

https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/blog/LOTT-giveaway/

That stand the photo was taken in, did it have fencing to segregate home and away fans? I mind being at a dunfermline v raith game and being beside the fencing. Or have I remembered that wrongly?

10 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

That stand the photo was taken in, did it have fencing to segregate home and away fans? I mind being at a dunfermline v raith game and being beside the fencing. Or have I remembered that wrongly?

Yes. There was a 'cage'