wawrinka s. federer r. 3 18 14.29
wawrinka s. nadal r. 3 15 16.67
wawrinka s. djokovic n. 3 16 15.79
    15 57 20.83

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, KingQuerrey said:

Those stats are at least a year out of date. Murray's record against Wawrinka is 9-7, not 8-6.

They're just off a spreadsheet I derived weeks ago from a stats site, 9-7, 8-6 doesn't really matter too much, it does show a good comparison off those 5 against each other.

Lots of other stats I've got show Federer/Nadal/Djokovic quite close to each other with a gap to Murray and a further gap to Wawrinka.

Stan Wawrinka is not a better player than Andy Murray.  That is absurd.  Even Wawrinka at his absolute peak isn't better than Murray at his peak.  I like Stan a lot, when he is in full flow it is exciting power tennis that is rarely seen today.  But it is a bit of a myth that this makes you a better player.  All it is is redlining.  All players do this.  Rosol against Nadal was one of the best redlining matches I have seen.

Apart from that I just about agree with Tommy Nooka.  Murray isn't as good as Djokovic, Federer or Nadal in their pomp.  People have seemed to forget that Djokovic held all four slams a few short months ago.  It doesn't really matter about player's consistency throughout the year, Murray needs to beat Djokovic and do it regularly.  If he had won the three matches he lost against him, there would be a 4000 point swing in his favour.  Losing early in one slam hasn't cost him at all.  Ideally Djokovic loses to Monfils tonight and at least the race could still be manageable.

Murray to be number one needs to put together a year better than Djokovic's.  He was almost number one on 2009.  A win in the US Open would have seen him be number one.  I think with Del Potro being a dangerous floater and renewed confidence in Wawrinka and Nishikori we might just see Djokovic lose earlier.  He needs other players to beat him as well as him.  But Djokovic is just too damn good.

However from the start of the clay court season until now, he has more points than Djokovic.  If he can just keep up the consistency, add the Australian Open and target both Miami and Cinci next year, he may well have the opportunity to do it.  But Djokovic isn't going to gift it to him.

Stats have been getting thrown around all over the place, so thought I would have a look at Murray v Cilic head to head.
Even discounting one walkover win for Andy, he has a 10-3 record over Cilic having beat him on grass, clay, and hard courts and also indoors and outdoors. I can't for the life of me see anything there that can make any sort of argument for Cilic as the better player.

In other tennis news 17 yr old Casper Rudd is one set away from his first challenger final.  The signifcance of this?  It's the first senior tournament the Junior no.1 has played.  Will be interesting to see if he gets a few wild cards in tournaments later this year.

Archived