US Open Tennis

lichtie23

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Yes
Someone who hangs around for yrs.. but never wins anything of any significance

Go look it up.  A journeyman is actually someone reliable and not outstanding.  Monfils isn't reliable in the slightest and can certainly be called outstanding.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go look it up.  A journeyman is actually someone reliable and not outstanding.  Monfils isn't reliable in the slightest and can certainly be called outstanding.

Don't need to tbh. My original description stands. Monfils is a journeyman, as is tsonga as is berdych as is gulbis as is isner etc etc etc

Just put this on and Djokovic looks an absolute mess who has slithered his way through again. Was that the case all match?

That's why I was so angry about Murray's exit the other night after seeing him play so well against Dimitrov previously. Somewhere near that standard would have gubbed him at present.

No he was pretty good in the first couple of sets.  Both seemed to tire in the third and fourth.  Yeah Murray playing at his best would have won, but he was beat by Nishikori.  Time to move on.

Just put this on and Djokovic looks an absolute mess who has slithered his way through again. Was that the case all match?

That's why I was so angry about Murray's exit the other night after seeing him play so well against Dimitrov previously. Somewhere near that standard would have gubbed him at present.

Agree

Nishikori just couldn't maintain his level against Wawrinka, started superbly well and his erratic serve cost him a two set lead.  Stan was solid throughout, but really went through the gears sensing Nishikori tiring.  Wawrinka should definitely award Andy Murray an assist for that win.

I think Stan is going to beat Djokovic as well.  He has been the bookies underdog against Del Potro and Nishikori.  I will be backing him again on Sunday, I expect him to be way longer than today though.  I have had a good week betting despite losing a large bet on Murray to beat Nishikori in play down a break in the fifth.

51 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Wish the media would stop going on about big 4.. wtf!
If there is a current big 4 based on future ability to win slams(next 12 months) I'd say. Djoker, Murray, Stan and Del po

You do realise the "Big Four" will always be the "Big Four" long after they retire?  Certainly Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray do not make the semi finals of every tournament anymore but there was a period of time when they did.  The era of the Big Four finished with Roger Federer's back injury in 2013, but will continue to be talked about for generations to come mainly as it's the greatest period of dominance in modern day tennis.

When the era of the big four ended, the Djokovic era started.  The rest just pick up the scraps when Djokovic gets beat.

The Coo Shed:  I concur with your comment.

10 hours ago, Loki said:

Monfils has the game, just doesn't have the mentality or the fitness to play great at the end of a 4 or 5 hour slog, could probably say that about loads in the top 100, I remember watching Klizan absolutely murdering Nadal in Beijing, if someone had said he was a top 10 player I wouldn't have argued.

Nishikori just couldn't maintain his level against Wawrinka, started superbly well and his erratic serve cost him a two set lead.  Stan was solid throughout, but really went through the gears sensing Nishikori tiring.  Wawrinka should definitely award Andy Murray an assist for that win.

I think Stan is going to beat Djokovic as well.  He has been the bookies underdog against Del Potro and Nishikori.  I will be backing him again on Sunday, I expect him to be way longer than today though.  I have had a good week betting despite losing a large bet on Murray to beat Nishikori in play down a break in the fifth.

Went to bed after Stan tied it at 1-1 and had the feeling that he had turned the tide his way. Nishikori gave him the runaround in the first set but Stan was starting to batter him off the court towards the end of the second. Wasn't surprised to see he went on to win the next two sets.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

After reading the last few pages, I'd like to know everyone's opinions on who would win between Big 4 player Cilic and journeyman Monfils.

After four sets shared by joint clowning around and choking, Monfils would retire injured as would Cilic.

Archived