US Open Tennis

lichtie23

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I have limited knowledge about the ins and outs of tennis but nothing will change my mind that this shouldn't have been Murray's title after seeing how he had been playing all summer and up until that roof shut/he imploded after that noise. I didn't think that about Stan's previous two wins or Cilic's.

I'd imagine Murray is feeling a bit annoyed with himself to say the least this evening.

8 minutes ago, KingQuerrey said:

The entire summer he's not been at 100%. Form wise or health wise. He literally just said in his interview there he was unsure a few weeks prior to the event whether he was going to play. 

Tennis players are playing with injuries all the time, Stan won comfortably on the night despite Novak playing well for most of the match.

If Novak has any excuse it's probably all those retirals and walkovers he received.

Do you honestly think Novak looked injured in the game immediately after his 1st injury break?

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I know I have limited knowledge about the ins and outs of tennis but nothing will change my mind that this shouldn't have been Murray's title after seeing how he had been playing all summer and up until that roof shut/he imploded after that noise. I didn't think that about Stan's previous two wins or Cilic's.

I'd imagine Murray is feeling a bit annoyed with himself to say the least this evening.

That noise didn't cost him the match.  It probably cost him a set, although I would say it cost him a break of his serve only.  Murray's serve has been very erratic here and at the Olympics, he would have had to serve a perfect match against Stan like he did against him at the French.  Murray wasn't good enough to beat Nishikori (Nishikori fully deserved to win and outplayed him in the final set) so how do you think he would have got past Stan and his kryptonite Djokovic?

Wawrinka leads 2-1 in the head to head at the US Open winning the last six sets against Murray.

Murray will still be annoyed, and he will be annoyed up until he steps on court on Friday.  I expect you will be seething for even longer.

Just now, KingQuerrey said:

Do you seriously believe that if that half hour stoppage and match resuming under the roof hadn't happened, that Nishikori would have won that match? 

Without the rain delay I think he would have finished the second set two sets to the good.  However Nishikori still came back from two sets against him in Glasgow.  It certainly wouldn't have been a foregone conclusion as some make out.  Anyway it doesn't matter if he beat Nishikori or not.  He wouldn't have beaten Stan.

27 minutes ago, KingQuerrey said:

I don't really care, it's still not the point I am making. Anytime Djokovic is at a slam and isn't playing his best level, and Murray doesn't go away with the gong he is going to be disappointed. 

Murray will be disappointed because Nishikori hammered him, I'd hope he's spending far far far more of his time analyzing where he lost it against Nishikori rather than the losers approach of shouldawouldacoulda.

12 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Murray wouldn't have won a set.

Seriously ? As good as Stan was last night, it's obvious Novak was not at his best and was undercooked with hardly any matches the last threw months.

Also you forgetting Stan was a match point down to Dan Evans

6 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Guessing we are all Murray fans...but if Stan played at that level against Murray... Murray wouldn't get near him

That the thing you forgetting this is Stan we talking about. There a reason he only been in 3 slam finals and only has 1 master title. IMO Murray got a higher level of game than. Stan going over there career and the stats pretty much back that up.

Novak Djokovic equalled Andy Murray's and Ivan Lendl's record of losing five finals in the one slam.  Murray has lost five Australian Opens and Lendl lost five US Opens.  Djokovic is now 2/7 at the US Open.

I think if Stan plays his best and Andy plays his best, Andy wins.  They both played well at the French Open.  Murray was quite comfortable.  Murray was nowhere near his best through Olympics, Cinci and the US Open. Wawrinka would have won this time.

1 hour ago, bookerman said:

Seriously ? As good as Stan was last night, it's obvious Novak was not at his best and was undercooked with hardly any matches the last threw months.

Also you forgetting Stan was a match point down to Dan Evans

It's the only excuse he might have but he was quite delighted that he'd hardly played any tennis in the US Open.

I didn't even see Dan Evans on court once last night but I did see Nishikori thrashing Murray.

3 slam finals 3 slam wins, he could double Murray's tally without being in many finals.

Fair play to Stan, every time he has made a slam final he has managed to bring his A game with him, something that Andy Murray hasn't managed to do.

I'm sure Andy and his team will be trying to figure out why his form has dipped. He was still getting results up until last week but he wasn't playing as well as he was in the early part of the summer.

Djokovic 20 games since start of June.

Wawrinka 18 games since start of June.

Murray 31 games since start of June, that'll be the equivalent of almost a full football season of hours in 3 and a bit months. 

Djokovic 20 games since start of June.

Wawrinka 18 games since start of June.

Murray 31 games since start of June, that'll be the equivalent of almost a full football season of hours in 3 and a bit months. 

Winning gives you more games to play, and he was looking fantastic from the start of Queens onwards. I did wonder at the time of the Olympics why he felt the need to play in both the men's and mixed doubles, I know that didn't amount to many matches but it was time he was on court and not resting.

Fair play to Stan, every time he has made a slam final he has managed to bring his A game with him, something that Andy Murray hasn't managed to do.

I'm sure Andy and his team will be trying to figure out why his form has dipped. He was still getting results up until last week but he wasn't playing as well as he was in the early part of the summer.

Tad unfair considering he won masters, Queens, Wimbledon, Olympics and no doubt play Davis cup

5 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Tad unfair considering he won masters, Queens, Wimbledon, Olympics and no doubt play Davis cup

Not decrying any of that, he has had a fantastic year, and in retaining the Olympic gold he has achieved something that might never be equalled, never mind beaten. You can't possibly play as many extra games over his rivals as he has done in the last few months and not suffer either physically or mentally.

Archived