TV License

Romeo

On 9/3/2016 at 19:47, Cream Cheese said:

Which is utterly ridiculous and wouldn't hold up in court in any other kind of situation. Everybody is capable of murder, but we don't all lock each other up. "Capability" and "Doing" are completely different things. I don't see how they can take you to court based on your "capability" and win on that basis. For that reason alone they can f**k right off.

Unfortunately that was the law. If you owned a device capable of receiving a television signal, you had to have a licence; and the courts backed it up.

It's been amended to acknowledge that people now watch downloaded content, but that being the case, it should have been changed years ago for people who only watched DVD's for example.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, jester said:

Unfortunately that was the law. If you owned a device capable of receiving a television signal, you had to have a licence; and the courts backed it up.

It's been amended to acknowledge that people now watch downloaded content, but that being the case, it should have been changed years ago for people who only watched DVD's for example.

They really are a shady bunch. They even have the cheek to charge blind people half. It's not as if they even make any effort to reflect every bodies views either. The BBC fan boys all share the same views on everything.

3 hours ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

I think the license fee is worth it alone just for the output of Radio 1.

Sent from a dark, dank hellhole.

troll-face-part.jpg

As much as I'm anti tv license, I find the "lol film dem and shout dodgy law at them!" as much of a riddy. The exact same type of people who are into Freeman Of The Land shite and spend all day fighting the system on the Consumer Action Group forums.

52 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

As much as I'm anti tv license, I find the "lol film dem and shout dodgy law at them!" as much of a riddy. The exact same type of people who are into Freeman Of The Land shite and spend all day fighting the system on the Consumer Action Group forums.

Usually the same weirdos who claim to know all the tricks to get out of paying their Council Tax. They would probably shite themselves at the thought of a Sheriff Officer chapping their door.

On 5 September 2016 at 20:01, mrcat1990 said:

The critical difference being that anyone refusing to cooperate with TV licence enforcement officers isn't committing any crime under the actual law, and isn't relying on Blackstone's law dictionary as their font of all wisdom.

From a recent visit:

Licence Man: Do you have a licence?

Me: No, I only watch catch up and downloaded content. I don't watch live TV.

Licence Man: Can we come in to check?

Me: No.

Licence Man: Okay, bye.

That's it distilled to its essence. He also asked if I would stop filming him, and that if I posted I online he would hold me liable for any hate threats he received. I would have posted it online for the hell of it but as the sun was at his back the footage was awful...

My mate was visited by TV licencing. They asked if they could come in. He told them that as he was classed as a vulnerable person, with the BBC's track record he didn't think it would be appropriate...

Filming it on a smartphone now let's them see you've got a device capable of playing iPlayer videos. A bit defeatist. If you use a GoPro they'll be asking how you review the footage. I find letters every week at my empty house annoying enough so pay my licence at home to avoid annoying badly timed visits at the door.

5 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Filming it on a smartphone now let's them see you've got a device capable of playing iPlayer videos. A bit defeatist. If you use a GoPro they'll be asking how you review the footage. I find letters every week at my empty house annoying enough so pay my licence at home to avoid annoying badly timed visits at the door.

How do you know I use a Go-Pro?

That's genuinely creepy...

Archived