Stranraer v Dumbarton - Irn Bru Cup

Nowhereman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

Yes. Got the round wrong! Come to think of it, maybe I should wish them well in the 3rd round too, as I have absolutely no interest in visiting Linfield, Crusaders, Bala Town, TNS or Celtic U20s.

that would probably be a cracking day out to one of those teams, 

Get that the competition has been made a bit of a farce but, would Dumbarton fans have more of an interest should they reach the semi final stage or final?
Stevie Aitken did alright with Stranraer in the same tournament getting us to within a penalty shoutout of the final.
For those asking about Nade and Agnew. Nade has yet to do anything other than a goal at Annan and an interview with our official website.
Agnew isn't a patch on the player that left us.

7 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Get that the competition has been made a bit of a farce but, would Dumbarton fans have more of an interest should they reach the semi final stage or final?
Stevie Aitken did alright with Stranraer in the same tournament getting us to within a penalty shoutout of the final.
For those asking about Nade and Agnew. Nade has yet to do anything other than a goal at Annan and an interview with our official website.

Nope. Still wouldn't go. 

Nade and Aggy are two of the nicest guys you could meet in football. I hope they combine to knock us out tomorrow and hand you a local tie with a Northern Irish team in the next round. Surprised about Aggy to be honest, he wasn't great with St Mirren last year, but I'd have had him back in a heartbeat.

I'd happily take a semi or a final but chances are slim and only as long as it meant we avoided a c**t of a trek to Wales or NI. At this stage of the tournament I have zero interest in hoofing it to Stranraer for an overpriced game in what is now a bit of a joke of a competition where I'd rather go out than be faced with a costly, pain in the arse trek out of the country.

I'd also far rather every ounce of effort and fitness went into retaining our status in the Championship. With the new farcical inclusion of colt teams and the need for points in the league I'd be more than happy to see a second string team sent out to avoid any injuries to our key players.

Surprising to hear that Agnew is struggling, perhaps we also dodged a bullet with him. Weirdly enough I'm not hugely surprised about Nade. He was in the form of his life with ourselves and it was highly unlikely to be repeated. Add to that the fact he made it fairly obvious when he couldn't be arsed (see Rangers away with yourselves for a prime example of that) and his brutal injury record and then you see why signing him would be a risk we could ill afford unless he was firing on all cylinders.

Nope. Still wouldn't go. 

Nade and Aggy are two of the nicest guys you could meet in football. I hope they combine to knock us out tomorrow and hand you a local tie with a Northern Irish team in the next round. Surprised about Aggy to be honest, he wasn't great with St Mirren last year, but I'd have had him back in a heartbeat.

Part of the problem is probably those around Agnew. He's in beside Ryan Thomson who's best suited playing an attacking midfield role.
What we really need is a Grant Gallagher type player who'll buzz about and press everything.
Agnew also very frustrating in that he seems to be able to pass the ball to one side. Too one footed.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Nope. Still wouldn't go. 

You seriously wouldn't go to a cup final involving Dumbarton? Not that it's likely to ever be tested but I reckon you would

7 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

You seriously wouldn't go to a cup final involving Dumbarton? Not that it's likely to ever be tested but I reckon you would

In this competition? Probably not, although I suppose I could get carried away with the romance of a cup final in Livingston against a team boasting Steven Saunders and Jon Routledge.

Like you say it's unlikely to best tested, but I really wouldn't treat it like (for example) the Airdrie playoff matches.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd happily take a semi or a final but chances are slim and only as long as it meant we avoided a c**t of a trek to Wales or NI. At this stage of the tournament I have zero interest in hoofing it to Stranraer for an overpriced game in what is now a bit of a joke of a competition where I'd rather go out than be faced with a costly, pain in the arse trek out of the country.

If you aren't going to go to Stranraer then what odds does it make to you if the next game is in Ireland or Wales? You're not going to go anyway. If you meant costly to the club then the club travel will be subsidised by the SPFL.

"pain in the arse", undoubtedly. There are some advantages to a weekend away in Ireland or Wales but on the whole I'd rather avoid it and it's probably less awkward for us than most geographically. As I've said before, I'm conceptually more against the Irish and Welsh inclusion than the 20's sides who were never going to offer significant opposition to senior first teams anyway. I hope we beat Stenhousemuir and advance in the competition. If we are in Ireland or Wales next round I intend to go if I can wangle it but it's a pest and will mean missing the Scotland v Lithuania game too which is annoying.

If you aren't going to go to Stranraer then what odds does it make to you if the next game is in Ireland or Wales? You're not going to go anyway. If you meant costly to the club then the club travel will be subsidised by the SPFL.

"pain in the arse", undoubtedly. There are some advantages to a weekend away in Ireland or Wales but on the whole I'd rather avoid it and it's probably less awkward for us than most geographically. As I've said before, I'm conceptually more against the Irish and Welsh inclusion than the 20's sides who were never going to offer significant opposition to senior first teams anyway. I hope we beat Stenhousemuir and advance in the competition. If we are in Ireland or Wales next round I intend to go if I can wangle it but it's a pest and will mean missing the Scotland v Lithuania game too which is annoying.

4k will be covered by the SPFL from what I'm hearing. Is that really enough to cover travel, accommodation and any other costs we have to pay players for having to take day(s) off work? I'm not sure. The 4k shout may be rubbish but I'm sure I've seen that mentioned more than once, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean it's a pain in the arse in terms of the hassle it causes the squad. Days off work, travel, costs, hindering the prepration of a potentially vital league match. As a part-time side I'd rather conpletely avoid it. I most likely wouldn't be travelling due to the fact I've recently purchased a house, although I do agree that it would be an absolutely fantastic away day and if I could afford it I'd consider being there, simply for the piss up and the novelty of travelling outwith the country for a Sons match (something I've never experienced).

I'm probably equally against the colts and Welsh/Irish inclusion. It just all seems a bit 'gimmicky' if you catch my drift and I'd hate to think it was a gateway to having the colts in the league setup. I actually quite liked the previous basic format despite it's lack of tv deal and our utterly disgusting record in it.

52 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

4k will be covered by the SPFL from what I'm hearing. Is that really enough to cover travel, accommodation and any other costs we have to pay players for having to take day(s) off work? I'm not sure. The 4k shout may be rubbish but I'm sure I've seen that mentioned more than once, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean it's a pain in the arse in terms of the hassle it causes the squad. Days off work, travel, costs, hindering the prepration of a potentially vital league match. As a part-time side I'd rather conpletely avoid it. I most likely wouldn't be travelling due to the fact I've recently purchased a house, although I do agree that it would be an absolutely fantastic away day and if I could afford it I'd consider being there, simply for the piss up and the novelty of travelling outwith the country for a Sons match (something I've never experienced).

It is £4k travel expenses. I'd imagine that would very easily cover a trip to Wales even with an overnight and there's absolutely no reason part time players would need to take time off work to go to Wales either. Ireland is complicated by the need to take a ferry or flight (more likely the former). That's both greater expense and curtails flexibility in travel. Pretty sure £4k would cover it though it might need some more active budgeting. Guess it depends when the game actually is but I'm not sure anyone would need to take days off work (certainly less hassle than for instance a trip to Wick Academy in the Scottish Cup which could even be midweek but nobody thinks that shouldn't be allowed). I guess if the games take place on Saturday afternoon there may be a desire for teams to travel Friday rather than early Saturday and also a temptation to stay a second night though that's clearly unnecessary and up to clubs if they do. If the games are on Sunday there's no real need for time off work though it will be a later return Sunday no doubt. Scotland play on the Saturday night at Hampden on the next round date so I'd presume most clubs will play Sunday though I haven't checked to see when Wales and Northern Ireland play and what effect that might have on dates.

4 hours ago, optimistic said:

You always hear it about left footed players, it's a nonsense statement

You at the wind up again?

Aggy is both left footed and as one footed a player you will ever see. 

For what it's worth, he always has been and as much as it was a pain at times, it didn't hamper his overall play too much when he was with us.

Aggy actually played more defensively in his final season for us, and was very good especially in the 2nd half of that season. Perhaps he has struggled to settle after the year playin FT didn't work out as he had hoped. I was surprised someone like Morton or another FT team at our level didn't take a punt on him for this season.

Archived