Stranraer v Dumbarton - Irn Bru Cup

Nowhereman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno what to think about this; an early exit from an absolute gimmick of a tournament balanced against what looks to be yet another toothless performance away from home against lower league opposition.

Very glad I didn't remotely consider making the most horrible journey in Scottish senior football.

21 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Piss poor, plenty warnings against stranraer in recent years, something clearly wrong at Dumbarton, is it club attitude, player quality, or management? Qots and falkirk show how its done

We gubbed Falkirk, last year, IIRC.  Don't feel bad about it. 

Poor first half with nearly no action in front of goal at all.
Second half Dumbarton up the pace slightly but struggled to get through our defences being reduced to half chances. Belford only having to make one save.
Stranraer looked far better in defence with Bell back to his usual standard and McKeown improving. Thought Liam Dick was tremendous at left back.
Good work from Nade gave us the goal seeing off a few defenders before forcing Martin to spill a shot right to McGuigans feet.
Dumbarton seemed a real physical team, I've never seen a team get away with as many tugs of shirts and pushed on players. Any time Buchanan challenged an aerial ball he was fouling.
Not impressed with Dumbarton or any of our former players. Stirling hardly touched the ball and the game seemed to by pass Gallagher.

12 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Second half Dumbarton up the pace slightly but struggled to get through our defences being reduced to half chances. Belford only having to make one save.
Stranraer looked far better in defence with Bell back to his usual standard and McKeown improving. Thought Liam Dick was tremendous at left back.
Good work from Nade gave us the goal seeing off a few defenders before forcing Martin to spill a shot right to McGuigans feet.
Dumbarton seemed a real physical team, I've never seen a team get away with as many tugs of shirts and pushed on players. Any time Buchanan challenged an aerial ball he was fouling.
Not impressed with Dumbarton or any of our former players. Stirling hardly touched the ball and the game seemed to by pass Gallagher.

Surely not :unsure2:

Without Joe Thomson in beside him Gallagher struggles. It was evident last week when Thomson was taken off. He needs him in beside him otherwise he's fairly pointless.

To keep my agenda more balanced, how was Pettigrew? Who did he have to deal with and how did he do it? He's looked, at best, shaky so far and your fans didn't seem to rate him much last season.

Did we spend much of the game punting high balls which were dealt with easily by your centre-backs?

Apologies for the amount of questions by the way, but I'm trying to write a balanced opinion blog here and it's tough when you try and get a feel for the game from Twitter :lol:

Pettigrew played against Gibson. Majority of the time Pettigrew doubled up with a midfield player to try and stop him. Worked often but, when left one on one Gibson came out on top.
His distribution seems to of improved since he left us.
Mixed bag with regards to balls in the air. Good battle between our centre backs and Thomson when it came to balls lumped forward Bell and McKeown winning though.
Not a huge amount of played on the deck but some nice keep ball passing between midfield and defence but never came to anything going forward.
Stevenson largely ineffective before being hooked.

It's pretty obvious that this game means nothing and we couldn't care less about this competition. No point wasting energy before a game where we will about 15% of the ball next week. Not to take anything away from Stranraer who would of probably beaten us regardless.

I actually thought Gallagher was one of our better players. Won a lot of the ball in front of the defence but it was further forward that we let ourselves down. Created very little although we had a fair bit of the ball. As for Dumbarton being physical you're having a laugh

Yip very similar to previous performances against teams from lower leagues.

we try to think slowing game down and wee short passes is the way to win the game. 

I thought overall we were just about the better team but so we should be and overall simply not good enough.

Individually pettigrew was better , Stanton quiet but let him off as first game , Stirling best in first half and faded in second , Todd in central mid was very disappointing . 

Smith did look sharp when he came on if we forget about his final ball . 

The rest neither good or bad. 

Stranraer centre backs and forwards all were excellent and worked their opponents well. 

I expect stevie to put a positive spin on this as he usually does 

From the highlights I can make out that it was a game of few chances, we doubled (and sometimes tripled) up on Willie Gibson when he had the ball and either Mark Docherty or Darren Barr were too busy watching the ball to notice that there was a 6"4 striker in between them who was about to score. In saying that Nade managed to get a shot away after taking the ball down and turning Gallagher, Pettigrew and Buchanan.

The 'keeper sliding out the box and having to rush back to his goal :lol:

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

From the highlights I can make out that it was a game of few chances, we doubled (and sometimes tripled) up on Willie Gibson when he had the ball and either Mark Docherty or Darren Barr were too busy watching the ball to notice that there was a 6"4 striker in between them who was about to score. In saying that Nade managed to get a shot away after taking the ball down and turning Gallagher, Pettigrew and Buchanan.

The 'keeper sliding out the box and having to rush back to his goal :lol:

I think rush is a bit of an exaggeration.  

Archived