Under 21's vs Macedonia

Gianfranco

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gauld played well, he vanished in the second half when we decided to do our version of "baws oot", as he was trying to get us playing a possession game from deep, while everyone else was simply piling into all the gaps and stunting our own attacks.

We played better in the second half. Gauld needs to be good enough to take control of these games. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back from the game. Missed the first 15 mins as Hearts had considerately opened only one stand and the queue was about a mile long. 

Surprised to read that people thought Gauld and Cummings played well. Gauld was ok, Cummings had a very poor game IMO. Didn't think anyone looked remotely capable of stepping up to the full team. Fraser's delivery was dreadful all night, but unfair to single our individuals. The entire team were poor. Only Henderson showed glimpses of promise. Never really thought we were going to score, even after they went down to 10 men and their keeper was crocked. No cutting edge or imagination anywhere to be seen in that team. Having said that, the 'goal' should have stood. Nothing wrong with it that I could see, and we were right in line with it. On the evidence of that display, the future looks distinctly gloomy.

Only saw the 2nd half.

We didn't actually play that badly.  Had a good goal disallowed, hit the woodwork twice and missed a few decent chances. 

A big problem though is Jason Cummings is the only striker we have at that level.  Could be an even bigger problem a few years down the line because there is no one coming through either.

Another set of 'elite' Scottish players, trained according to a technique-based 'football philosophy', but aren't actually capable of controlling and passing the ball in their pretty patterns at anything other than a glacial pace.

It's truly a wonder then that any halfway competent team can set up shop quite comfortably and then swat them aside.

I'd be worried, but then international youth teams are about as pointless a level of football as you can get. 2 or 3 of tonight's team might break through to the A squad; most are there though purely because they're the same age and will help form a full 11. Their professional development depends entirely on club performances.

I'd far rather any young player with a semblance of a chance of playing for the full squad just took the week off and put their feet up, while Sbragia et al were hounded out of their wage thief jobs.

7 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Another set of 'elite' Scottish players, trained according to a technique-based 'football philosophy', but aren't actually capable of controlling and passing the ball in their pretty patterns at anything other than a glacial pace.

It's truly a wonder then that any halfway competent team can set up shop quite comfortably and then swat them aside.

It's off the ball where we really lack quality.  Our positional sense and movement is poor.  It's as if every thing is centered on the ball or area of play and nothing else matters. 

If players were taking up good positions and moving around the pitch better our technique on the ball would sky rocket. 

We played better in the second half. Gauld needs to be good enough to take control of these games. 

He is and will but he needs to be playing alongside players with a modicum of intelligence who will make the correct runs.

That last 20 mins was just horrible. 4 men up front and everybody else trying to play it long to Peter Crouch's little brother who was hopeless in the air. Our senior team is fell shite but none of them will have anything to fear about someone from the u21s stepping up and pinching their place if that's their level of performance.

40 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Just back from the game. Missed the first 15 mins as Hearts had considerately opened only one stand and the queue was about a mile long. 

Surprised to read that people thought Gauld and Cummings played well. Gauld was ok, Cummings had a very poor game IMO. Didn't think anyone looked remotely capable of stepping up to the full team. Fraser's delivery was dreadful all night, but unfair to single our individuals. The entire team were poor. Only Henderson showed glimpses of promise. Never really thought we were going to score, even after they went down to 10 men and their keeper was crocked. No cutting edge or imagination anywhere to be seen in that team. Having said that, the 'goal' should have stood. Nothing wrong with it that I could see, and we were right in line with it. On the evidence of that display, the future looks distinctly gloomy.

I like Guald and thought he was going to be the best player I've seen for a while. But when we get to talk of players beside him and players making runs in u21 games it's a slippery slop. 

38 minutes ago, Firhill Road said:

I'd be worried, but then international youth teams are about as pointless a level of football as you can get. 2 or 3 of tonight's team might break through to the A squad; most are there though purely because they're the same age and will help form a full 11. Their professional development depends entirely on club performances.

I'd far rather any young player with a semblance of a chance of playing for the full squad just took the week off and put their feet up, while Sbragia et al were hounded out of their wage thief jobs.

Under 21s in particular is utterly pointless, if you're any good you'll be in the senior squad by that age anyway. So you're left playing dross like Cummings and Henderson, who are clearly never going to be acceptable international players, for the purpose of fulfilling a fixture.

And even if some talented youngsters do end playing a few games on their way up to the senior squad, what's the point? It seems to be based on this notion of 'international experience', like playing a few games in virtually empty stadiums with inferior players is in some way going to prepare them for the senior team.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Under 21s in particular is utterly pointless, if you're any good you'll be in the senior squad by that age anyway. So you're left playing dross like Cummings and Henderson, who are clearly never going to be acceptable international players, for the purpose of fulfilling a fixture.

Under 21's football is vital for their development. Not done the likes of Ronaldo, Pique, Ramos, De Gea, Iniesta and Xavi any harm. 

And even if some talented youngsters do end playing a few games on their way up to the senior squad, what's the point? It seems to be based on this notion of 'international experience', like playing a few games in virtually empty stadiums with inferior players is in some way going to prepare them for the senior team.

Dross like Cummings and Henderson :lol:

I thought Cummings looked poor,I think he is a great finisher and will score 20 goals at least this season but is no better than a bottom end of the Premier League striker, if he scores a hatfull Hibs should sell him at the end of the season his value will never be higher. Fraser in the 2nd half was very good apart from his final ball at least he tried to take players on. The goal from Henderson should have stood but Macedonia probably deserved the win, they kept the ball much better after their easy goal.

Just now, Swordfishtrombone said:

I thought Cummings looked poor,I think he is a great finisher and will score 20 goals at least this season but is no better than a bottom end of the Premier League striker, if he scores a hatfull Hibs should sell him at the end of the season his value will never be higher. Fraser in the 2nd half was very good apart from his final ball at least he tried to take players on. The goal from Henderson should have stood but Macedonia probably deserved the win, they kept the ball much better after their easy goal.

That's probably the worst Cummings has been this season, he looked a bit lost to me. He isn't a lone striker and he isn't a target man. Unlucky with the chance in the first half when the keeper made a good save. Disappointing performance over all.

Archived