Dunfermline v Dundee United Sat 10th Sept.

Just now, stumigoo said:

On that note, any pubs in Dunfermline within decent distance of the stadium that would be good to watch the football before the game? Probably going to head through early.

The Elizabethan, just a wee walk from the ground.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, AJ, don't drop Fordyce and maybe we won't gift stupid goals away. He is our best defender and him alongside big Ashy will work a lot better. 

McCabe isn't very good at this football malarky so he should be dropped and Herron given a chance. I want to see AJ being ruthless instead of sticking to his regulars. McCabe has been very poor so far and deserves to be dropped.

Couple of things here; I'm a big fan of Fordyce, but Ashcroft is a better player from what I've seen. I'd definitely stick with Fordyce over BRE though, the two of them absolutely strolled it yesterday and it looks like they actually understand one another easily.

I'd still keep McCabe in, even after a couple of very poor games. He was decent against Hibs and was a handy player to have in spells against Raith. Very difficult to say how Herron is at this stage, so I would rather see McCabe start; there's some quality in there and we're bound to see it soon.

Paton had a good game yesterday and McMullan came out his shell a wee bit, though his positional discipline is a bit off. I'm happy with those two out wide if Cardle isn't quite fit and I can't help but think Higginbotham would be much more effective sitting in behind the strikers, but we've yet to play any kind of shape that really accommodates that role.

Reilly and Clark the front two.

3 hours ago, FifeArab said:

The Elizabethan, just a wee walk from the ground.

Just to let you all know that the Elizabethan has changed from a true pub to a "bar and kitchen". I've not been in since the revamp so I don't know if they still show live games etc. Might be worth phoning ahead. Otherwise there are plenty places in the town centre which is a at the wrong end and a 15-20 minute walk away (and you'll need to get a ticket from the portacabin, there are no cash gates) but you'll definitely get to see the lunchtime games.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Just to let you all know that the Elizabethan has changed from a true pub to a "bar and kitchen". I've not been in since the revamp so I don't know if they still show live games etc. Might be worth phoning ahead. Otherwise there are plenty places in the town centre which is a at the wrong end and a 15-20 minute walk away (and you'll need to get a ticket from the portacabin, there are no cash gates) but you'll definitely get to see the lunchtime games.

If I was to venture in to the centre of town what pubs would you recommend? I looked at some photos of the Elizabethan and it did look like it had undergone a change of direction.

If I was to venture in to the centre of town what pubs would you recommend? I looked at some photos of the Elizabethan and it did look like it had undergone a change of direction.

Would recommend the East Port for the fitba.

Aye, the East Port traditionally has been one that folk have went into and will be showing the game. A lot of home fans will be in there. Coady's I guess is another option near the bus station, as is the Commercial. There's Wetherspoon's and a Belhaven Pub (Seven Kings) further down the High Street if that's your kind of thing. I'm not the sort who drinks before a game normally so I'm not the best guy to ask but if there are any more then someone else will no doubt be along soon. 

18 hours ago, CalumDA said:

To suggest Cardle has a God given right to play is beyond me. Was pihs against rovers and then was unfortunately ill and lost his place to Mcmullan who has played very well over the last two games, so why should he lose his place? 

Only change I would make is wedderburn in for McCabe if fit. Expecting us to have a tough game here either way, would be happy with a point.

Cardle plays poorly against Raith and McMullan plays well in a cameo against Queens and a diddy cup game and now he deserves to start ahead of him? I repeat, Cardle is one of, if not our best player. He should start most weeks, barring a sustained run of poor form.

17 hours ago, Parscelona said:

I expected a bit more from Higginbotham tbh, at the moment Cardle & McMullan get the nod for me when it comes to the wingers.

Seconded. Thought he looked really good against Dumbarton but has done almost nothing since.

15 hours ago, smpar said:

Couple of things here; I'm a big fan of Fordyce, but Ashcroft is a better player from what I've seen. I'd definitely stick with Fordyce over BRE though, the two of them absolutely strolled it yesterday and it looks like they actually understand one another easily.

I'd still keep McCabe in, even after a couple of very poor games. He was decent against Hibs and was a handy player to have in spells against Raith. Very difficult to say how Herron is at this stage, so I would rather see McCabe start; there's some quality in there and we're bound to see it soon.

Paton had a good game yesterday and McMullan came out his shell a wee bit, though his positional discipline is a bit off. I'm happy with those two out wide if Cardle isn't quite fit and I can't help but think Higginbotham would be much more effective sitting in behind the strikers, but we've yet to play any kind of shape that really accommodates that role.

Reilly and Clark the front two.

Agree with most of this apart from McCabe. He needs dropped pronto.

I'd perhaps start Higginbotham on the bench, sort of player that can come on and make an impact. Has had some flashes of brilliance but hasn't really fulfilled the hype. 

If fully fit Cardle starts every game for me.
I would drop BRE, I think his "big lump" ness isn't really doing it, specially with Hutton in goals they seem to produce several heart in mouth moments  between them and losing silly goals is our main problem. 

Clark n' Reilly up front. Moffat will struggle to get back in. 

We might grab a goal, maybe two, but we will probably ship a couple of soft ones. 

Wouldn't be shocked at 4-1 United i'm afraid. Once we get settled we can mount challenges against the bigger clubs. 

20 hours ago, smpar said:

Higginbotham would be much more effective sitting in behind the strikers, but we've yet to play any kind of shape that really accommodates that role.

We've maybe been guilty of expecting a new striker (eg Reilly) to just do what Faissal was doing. Like when Ryan Wallace was out injured a couple of years back, we persisted with a system that didn't work as nobody else could fill that role. 

At least we're pooling some decent forwards, and big Farid would add something different (if we decide he's fit enough). 

3-1 Pars. Ashcroft with all the goals.  

Archived