Squad face Lithuania & Slovakia next month

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, throbber said:

When you buy tickets online for Hampden can they do an option for printing out the ticket and scanning the barcode at stadium rather than have the tickets sent out via the post?

They still have wee people in the booths tearing up tickets, when even dear old grounds like Firhill have automatic scanners.  You think the SFA will catch up with the times and give online tickets?  Nah.

It's a good idea, don't get me wrong, but they seem incredibly backward with ticketing.

I think we've probably seen the last of Bardsley in a Scotland shirt which is a shame as I liked him when he played for us. Not sure about Tierney at right back, could end up having a poor game and denting his confidence playing out of position. 

The options are...

Call someone else up. Phil Bardsley seems as if he'll never play for us again but is a good player. Steven Whittaker has only played three league games this season for Norwich, and has played once since the end of August. Liam Palmer at Sheffield Wednesday is the only other viable Scottish RB I can think of and he's uncapped and unproven. 

Play Russell Martin there, with Greer/Berra coming into the side, or even playing together. Nah, no thanks.

If fit, play Ikechi Anya there. I'd be OK with that for Lithuania but not Slovakia away.

Play Tierney, Robertson or Wallace there. Not keen on that idea either.

Change to an untried formation and play Anya/Phillips/Forrest/Maloney/someone else as an RWB. Not going to happen. 

The most likely scenario - play Callum Paterson. Again, fine with it for Lithuania but not Slovakia.

Seems some celebrated Hutton being injured. Look at what it's left us with... playing Paterson in what is our biggest match of the group. Ideal.

Paterson will play and is currently probably the best option.  He can be a bit dodgy defensively at times but brings enough to the team going forward and at set pieces(attacking and defending) to justify his inclusion in the squad.  Always thought Hutton did well for Scotland despite looking ropey at the different clubs he was at. 

As for Hamilton it does seem a bit strange including him in the squad.  It's obviously for experience as he came through the U21's and always did well for them but he hasn't filled me with lots of confidence at times this season.  He's not really made any major blunders that have resulted in a goal but that mistake against St Johnstone was about as close as it could get to one.  He won't get near the team anyway so no big deal.

2 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

Can we not put Tierney at Right back? Didn't think Patterson was great against Malta. Other options stick Martin at RB and put berra/greer in at CB. Call up Bardsley? 

Bardsley made it clear a few months ago he won't play for Scotland again.

29 minutes ago, troopio said:

I cannot see the loss of Hutton being a massive blow to the chances of winning the next 2 games. That is just my view though.

Does not appear to be anyone called up as replacement.

Paterson will start on Saturday and there will only be a replacement called up for Slovakia if he picks up a knock.

I'd probably have started Hutton so it's a wee bit of a blow IMO - especially not having him available as back-up if Paterson played.

Line-up I reckon Strachan will pick:

Marshall

Paterson Hanley Martin Robertson

D.Fletcher McArthur

Burke Snodgrass Ritchie

S.Fletcher

23 minutes ago, DBA said:

Paterson will start on Saturday and there will only be a replacement called up for Slovakia if he picks up a knock.

I'd probably have started Hutton so it's a wee bit of a blow IMO - especially not having him available as back-up if Paterson played.

Line-up I reckon Strachan will pick:

Marshall

Paterson Hanley Martin Robertson

D.Fletcher McArthur

Burke Snodgrass Ritchie

S.Fletcher

Our best team from the squad Strachan has picked.. agreed! I'd perhaps give Berra a go at the back ahead of Martin now, but don't see Strachan dropping him, regardless of how well Berra has played for Ipswich over the past few seasons and regardless of how far down the pecking order Martin is for Norwich now.

Archived