Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 19:38, strichener said:

I don't see what is contentious in the post that you quoted.  You will notice that it was you that linked the EU and Thatcher, not me.

Interesting interpretation since I did no such thing. If you have problems reading plain English, just say so.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 19:47, strichener said:

Really, you don't know the difference between foreign currency reserves and GDP?  The UK entered a recession at the start of the 90s caused in part by the high interest rates in Germany requiring the same in the UK (to keep Sterling within the allowable ERM banding).  I don't know where your £3.2bln figure came from as I was under the impression that it was more than this but the exiting from ERM allowed the UK to set economic policy independently of the other ERM participants.

You're all over the place, mate.  At no point did I even mention GDP.

Theresa May accused of manipulating crucial immigration report before Brexit vote

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/brexit-immigration-theresa-may-report-liberal-democrats-accuse-pm-manipulation-a7334466.html

The former Home Secretary is accused of playing up the significance of “benefits tourism” - EU nationals coming to the UK to live on welfare - despite reliable evidence that it was only a “small-scale problem”.

Carrying on the fine tradition of lying racist Tory bigots, there.

54 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Theresa May accused of manipulating crucial immigration report before Brexit vote

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/brexit-immigration-theresa-may-report-liberal-democrats-accuse-pm-manipulation-a7334466.html

The former Home Secretary is accused of playing up the significance of “benefits tourism” - EU nationals coming to the UK to live on welfare - despite reliable evidence that it was only a “small-scale problem”.

Carrying on the fine tradition of lying racist Tory bigots, there.

And she was supposedly on the Remain side. 

7 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Great minds think alike

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

And fools seldom differ.

You decide.

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Don't ask me to decide

I might be a fool

Perhaps I should have been more specific - I didn't mean "you" as in you personally- I meant "you" as in P&B posters generally.

On 26/11/2016 at 19:38, strichener said:

I don't see what is contentious in the post that you quoted.  You will notice that it was you that linked the EU and Thatcher, not me.

2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Interesting interpretation since I did no such thing. If you have problems reading plain English, just say so.

Yep OK, there is absolutely no linking of the EU and Thatcher by you.

On 25/11/2016 at 12:15, Baxter Parp said:

You'll need to explain how the EU were responsible for Thatcher's economic and social policies.

:whistle

2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

You're all over the place, mate.  At no point did I even mention GDP.

You stated a cost of Black Wednesday as if this reduction in foreign reserves was the only impact and there were no offsetting benefits to the country from exiting. The exiting from the ERM led to many changes in the UK economy including a steep rise in GDP in the following years.

Against the £3.2bln (your figure) expenditure by the BoE, how much money did the Treasury save from a reduction in interest rates after the exit from ERM?

Just to make it easy for you, here is a little chart of the UK rates on gilts in 1992.

United Kingdom Government Bond 10Y

So basically we were never less than 9% whilst in the ERM.  What happened in the year after the exit:-

United Kingdom Government Bond 10Y

a 1/3 fall in the rate of interest paid on Government debt (3% on over £200bln of debt > £3.2bln).

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And she was supposedly on the Remain side. 

On reflection she was probably the most dishonest Tory of the lot.  We can have a go at Cameron and Osborne or Johnson and Gove but at least they took a position, however much their arguments were disingenuous.  May simply sat back and bagged the top spot by keeping quiet.

She's a vile, duplicitous, uncaring creature.

On reflection she was probably the most dishonest Tory of the lot.  We can have a go at Cameron and Osborne or Johnson and Gove but at least they took a position, however much their arguments were disingenuous.  May simply sat back and bagged the top spot by keeping quiet.

She's a vile, duplicitous, uncaring creature.

She was certainly very very calculating on how she made her stance (or didn't) with regards to the EU. Now in place in the Big Seat, I bet she's fuckin ruthless with her cabinet and won't take any prisoners.

16 hours ago, strichener said:

Yep OK, there is absolutely no linking of the EU and Thatcher by you.

:whistle

You're thick as mince, chum.  You're the one that connected the 80's economic turmoil with the EU. I'm the one saying it was Thatcher's fault.  Having trouble keeping track of your pish rhetoric?