Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

37 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The currency issue will take longer to sort out. If the SNP wants a currency union, an independent Scotland will have to take on its share of the UK's debts. Without a currency union, an independent Scotland will need to set up its own central bank and currency.

Then there are all the British regulatory bodies and government agencies. An independent Scotland would need to legislate for and set up its own equivalents. In the meantime, it would have negotiate contracts to use the UK's organisations.

My guess is 3 to 5 years minimum. Scotland's divorce from the UK will be much more complex than Britain leaving the EU. 

You do know that nearly all Scottish bodies and agencies are already separate and operate independently?

30 minutes ago, Harambe Legion said:

How do they have no control over it?

They have taxing powers and control how a lot of the money is spent.

We get a fixed budget sent up from Westminster and about 10% of fiscal powers. Please explain how we can influence the national debt/interest payments of the UK and all the shite they borrow money for ?

28 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I remember now but it's called the General Assembly.
A wee bit pedantic I ken and I'm still an atheist.

These powers have always been in Scotland,Scottish parliament,Scottish general assembly and the lord lyon if these 3 agree on independence, Scotland would be free from the chains of Westminster in a whim.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

These powers have always been in Scotland,Scottish parliament,Scottish general assembly and the lord lyon if these 3 agree on independence, Scotland would be free from the chains of Westminster in a whim.

At least 2 are completely irrelevant in modern Scotland.

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

2 minutes ago, HTG said:

At least 2 are completely irrelevant in modern Scotland.

That's my thinking hence the lord lyon is for the chop.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think by this point we can remove the words "slowly" and "becoming" from the thread title.

very good....and very funny :lol:

10 minutes ago, Harambe Legion said:

I never said we can influence that. By neither is it true that we "have no control over it" when the Scottish Parliament has some taxing powers. In fact it is complete nonsense.

Not influencing it and having no control over it are the same thing. What you are arguing for is an increase in tax in Scotland to pay for Tory austerity. The debt will sill rise, our interest payments will still rise and London will get stronger and stronger to the detriment of Scotland and indeed the rest of the UK.