Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

6 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Can somebody tell me why the DUP backed Brexit? Their position seems to be a bit all over the place. 

Surely all the things they want to happen would be best arrived at by remaining in the EU. Or am I missing something?

First person to mention the Treaty Of Rome gets a gold star.

I assume that they thought Brexit would mean a stop to creeping cooperation and integration with the South. What they're getting is the best argument for a united Ireland since the 1920's. 

Next question: Would WTO rules necessitate border checks?

I've seen a lot of folk on the news today saying that WTO rules will be a satisfactory back up plan if the EU don't bend over and take the UK length. But surely this contradicts their stance on keeping Ireland borderless as it would mean a hard border?

Mrs May is understood to have broken off from talks with European Commission President Jean Claude Junker to speak to Arlene Foster, after the DUP leader had held a press conference saying her party "will not accept any form of regulatory divergence" that separates Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK.

"During the call it was made plain to the PM that the DUP, whose support is vital to the government being able to pass their Brexit legislation, had significant concerns about the deal being discussed that gave concessions to the Dublin government," the BBC's political editor said.

"I understand Foster told Theresa May that she would not be able to support such a deal. It's been suggested too that there are 20 or so Conservative MPs who had serious misgivings about the compromises that were understood to be on the table."

The UK was reportedly prepared to accept that Northern Ireland may remain in the EU's customs union and single market in all but name.

Like I said TM's incompetence in not informing the DUP about what she was about to agree is staggering!

45 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Can somebody tell me why the DUP backed Brexit? Their position seems to be a bit all over the place. 

Surely all the things they want to happen would be best arrived at by remaining in the EU. Or am I missing something?

First person to mention the Treaty Of Rome gets a gold star.

According to the book "Did David Hasselhoff end the cold war", the twelve stars of the EU flag are a symbol of the Virgin Mary.  Just the sort of thing to upset the DUP.

9 minutes ago, btb said:

Like I said TM's incompetence in not informing the DUP about what she was about to agree is staggering!

She should call the DUP's bluff, do they really want Corbyn negotiating Ulster's status in the island of Ireland? Or at least losing their hold on Westminster?

Edited by welshbairn

The whole thing seems fucking idiotic. We are basically paying money to leave the EU just for the right to do the same things as before but without the benefits. All this so the Tories can keep lining pockets and keep up a pretence of leaving so people will keep them in Government.

12 minutes ago, btb said:

She’s in an impossible position (great isn’t it).  Had she spoke to the DUP beforehand they would never had agreed; don’t know if she thought there was more chance doing it the way she did.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

She should call the DUP's bluff, do they really want Corbyn negotiating Ulster's status in the island of Ireland? Or at least losing their hold on Westminster?

She's already ducked that opportunity, hasn't she?

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

She’s in an impossible position (great isn’t it).  Had she spoke to the DUP beforehand they would never had agreed; don’t know if she thought there was more chance doing it the way she did.

May hasn't given a single solitary f**k about any perspective other than that expressed by the Brexit wing of her own party. That would explain why she wouldn't talk to Foster. Either that or she hopes she can get Brexit through with Labour support on the issue of an open border in Ireland.  Labour are daft enough to give that support frankly because they also are pandering to the neanderthals.

This is all hilarious.  

Hopefully someone reminds May that if she hadn’t called an election she’d still have a majority and would be reliant on the DUP.

Edited by Granny Danger

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is all hilarious.  

Hopefully someone reminds May that if she hadn’t called an election she’d still have a majority and would be reliant on the DUP.

Strong and stable etc. 

Can someone keep a count of the number of times she uses the word "clear" over the course of the next 24 hours. Thus far she's been very good at saying that she's been "very clear that ..." before being utterly obtuse. 

31 minutes ago, btb said:

She's already ducked that opportunity, hasn't she?

Not sure what you mean. If the DUP are the only barrier to a deal that Westminster and the other 27 EU members can live with, in a crisis that they encouraged and voted for, then f**k them. Bringing down the Government will leave them with zero leverage.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure what you mean. If the DUP are the only barrier to a deal that Westminster and the other 27 EU members can live with, in a crisis that they encouraged and voted for, then f**k them. Bringing down the Government will leave them with zero leverage.

Well May came out of a meeting to phone Foster and the PM backed down. I suppose anything can happen and the other 27¾  countries could stick together and see if the DUP maintain their position, but like I said in Round 1 it was TM who backed down.

Edited by btb

22 minutes ago, HTG said:

Strong and stable etc. 

Can someone keep a count of the number of times she uses the word "clear" over the course of the next 24 hours. Thus far she's been very good at saying that she's been "very clear that ..." before being utterly obtuse. 

Sinn Fein are always making things "crystal clear". Except they don't.