Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Barnier turning the screws.  Either there can be a customs union or trade barriers for goods and services will be “unavoidable”.

Not only is this obvious but it’s the same position as existed months ago.  If there’s no customs union there will be a hard border in Ireland.

Channel 4 news.  Once again the idea that the EU sells more to us than we sell to them - so why wouldn't they offer us a great deal.

Answer: They probably sell more to each other than they do to us.
Does anyone seriously think Germany sells BMWs to the UK but not Ireland or Portugal or Finland or any of the others.
Why would they jeopardize a level playing field for 27 countries just to please us?
Does it really never occur to these Brexiteers that EU countries do business with each other?

Channel 4 news.  Once again the idea that the EU sells more to us than we sell to them - so why wouldn't they offer us a great deal.
Does anyone seriously think Germany sells BMWs to the UK but not Ireland or Portugal or Finland or any of the others.
Why would they jeopardize a level playing field for 27 countries just to please us?
Does it really never occur to these Brexiteers that EU countries do business with each other?
You've seen the state of the average Brexiter, haven't you?

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

I'm still trying to get my head round the idea that people think that one of our trump cards is a huge trade deficit.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

15 hours ago, Fullerene said:

They won't jeopardise their playing field. Stuff will just cost more. They may sell fewer cars but they won't just disappear. Most will cope just fine. It's us who will feel the totality of the impact of tariffs. 

Edited by HTG

5 hours ago, pawpar said:

Here is a first. The first time I have agreed with a conservative MP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42955553

Flawed analysis by Soubry - neither Major or Cameron were "great leaders". Major never controlled the "b*****ds" on his backbenches and lost the little credibility he had left when his "back to basics" campaign backfired. Cameron miscalculated that a Tory/Lib-Dem/Labour Alliance would give Remain an easy victory forgetting the Lib-Dems were still regarded as toxic from their coalition with  him (!) and not understanding that Labour's support under Corbyn was going to be half-hearted at best.

May's not going to do anything to upset the Eurosceptics that's the section of the party she comes from. Her decision to back Remain during the referendum surprised many and was clearly a tactical ploy for a future bid to be Tory Party leader - well she got what she wanted! :lol:

Cameron's change of mind wrt quitting after the referendum was probably the smartest decision he ever made, Brexit was always gonna be a nightmare which May compounded by losing her majority last June. The scale of how badly its going can be seen by May having to struggle to hold onto a job nobody else wants at present! 

11 minutes ago, HTG said:

They won't jeopardise their plaing field. Stuff will just cost more. They may sell fewer cars but they won't just disappear. Most will cope just fine. It's us who will feel the totality of the impact of tariffs. 

The red tape and bureaucracy will be a bigger hit than tariffs imo. Huge queues at the borders for all the to and fro of the supply chains. "Just in time" stock control will be impossible. And then there will regulatory variations and additional hurdles. What a fucking waste.

Some times I really struggle to understand why so many people are passionately wanting to leave the EU.
I am not in love with the EU but I have never felt like shaking my fist and saying "Let me out."

I suspect it is about migration - all these people coming from elsewhere - and a sense of a loss of identity.

Only problem is - any trade deal with India will make it easier for people from India to come here.
Similarly, Brazil, China or any other country for that matter.

I can easily imagine the angry Brexiteers get angry about that as well.

Theresa May calling an election when 20+ points ahead of Labour in the polls then losing her majority is probably the funniest thing I remember in almost 50 years of following politics.

An election fought by Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson and Michael Gove that positions the Tories as the party of “ordinary working people” will be even funnier.

Theresa May calling an election when 20+ points ahead of Labour in the polls then losing her majority is probably the funniest thing I remember in almost 50 years of following politics.

Smug David Cameron calling a referendum which was impossible to lose; swanning around Europe; losing then walking was also quite funny. However result was tragic

40 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

An election fought by Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson and Michael Gove that positions the Tories as the party of “ordinary working people” will be even funnier.

What is less funny is the number of “ordinary working people” who would still vote Tory with that troika  at the helm.

What is less funny is the number of “ordinary working people” who would still vote Tory with that troika  at the helm.

The Chlamydia Kid on here is a great example of someone who happily votes against his economic interests because he thinks electing in a left wing party is going to lead to him being crushed under the boot of a trans immigrant demanding he accepts he has to be horny for her.

Spoiler

I read something yesterday, which surprised me a wee bit. Apparently no plans have been drawn up or applications applied for to build the infrastructure required for transport parking and customs buildings etc, which will certainly be needed at ports all across England when the tariffs kick in, and documentation and transport  will all have to be  physically checked. The article also said that nothing has been done about recruiting extra customs staff, who would require training before the omnishambles rolls out.