Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Haven't a clue what you mean there, but there probably is some procedural way that the Speaker could wangle it as an Emergency Motion, but there's no point if Labour aren't backing it. I agree with Labour's position btw, it would not carry the House at the moment even if Corbyn was behind it.
Theres a reason why it has to be Comrade Jezza has to call for it
The speaker will only allow a debate on it if its the official opposition that calls it

Is there any chance May can face both a Tory leadership challenge and a no-confidence vote in the Commons at the same time?

Finding ourselves in a scenario where Brexiteers stand in the Commons and back the PM, before going out and ousting her, would just be quite the end to this absolute clusterfuck.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Imagine what they'd be like in a Norway deal with Liechtenstein having a veto. That's why they're not welcome.

People keep saying this but surely we wouldn't want to go into the Norwegian EFTA?

We would surely rather have our own version of EFTA with just us in it?

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Bloody Irish having a say on there border emoji23.png

In amongst the litany of catastrophic errors Brexit-supporting politicians have made, one of the worst ones is that they continually speak and behave as if people in other EU countries don't have access to our media. It's not 1870. If you insult foreign governments in the UK press, they're going to find out about it pretty quickly.

How to lose friends and alienate people indeed.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

People keep saying this but surely we wouldn't want to go into the Norwegian EFTA?

We would surely rather have our own version of EFTA with just us in it?

Apparently they don't want us......................

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/07/norwegian-politicians-reject-uks-norway-plus-brexit-plan

Senior Norwegian politicians and business figures have rejected Norway-plus, the increasingly touted British cross-party plan for the UK to leave the EU but join Norway in a free trade trade area inside the EU single market.

Edited by btb

The Tories are absolutely wrecked over this.  i listened to an interview on the world service last night with Nicholas Soames - arch remainer and a well regarded politician.  His take was that it was a shite deal but we should take it  because 'going back to the country' would be incendiary and cause more problems than it solves.

His subtext was, "white van man in my constituency won't like it".

Absolutely we have to have another referendum about this.

Some of these gammon arseholes need seriously put in their place - they get away with so much shite unchallenged.

I was not interested in the EU referendum, I voted remain solely due to the racist undertones of the debate but I don't think it's right to just ignore a democratic vote, it's a dangerous precedent IMO, we'd prpbably still be waiting for independence if we'd voted YES, things like that happen then the people should be up in arms not thinking about themselves.
Advisory vote which has since turned out to be a shitload of lies.

22 minutes ago, btb said:

Aye I read that the other day but I don't think anyone actually wants to join their group anyway. It's only being mentioned as a template.

Why do you identify with bureaucracy? 
Suggesting that Freedom of Capital, the Stability and Growth Pact, rules on State Aid, CAP, CAF and the Posted Workers Directive are promoting inequality and declining living standards and need to be ended seems fairly sensible to me.
It's one of those great myths the European bureaucrat - there's more fucking bureaucrats in a middling Whitehall department than in the EU.

43 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Bloody Irish having a say on there border emoji23.png

Are these people morons?  I mean seriously - are they morons?

Ireland's powerful position is probably the best illustration imaginable of the benefits of being a member of the EU.

Would anyone in Westminster even being listening to them if they were not in the EU?

1) the crash was down to government interference in the mortgage market.
2) Labour had a reckless borrowing policy which was disastrous,  independent of the banking crisis. It was akin to someone in massive debt getting a credit card to pay it off.
3) crony capitalism allowed the banks to behave recklessly knowing they would receive bail outs. They should have been allowed to fail.
The main driving force was the collapse of the US sub-prime market - it was always a house of cards when those debts were turned into derivatives and then the debts couldn't be paid.

You are an idiot.
Imagine someone chapped the door of a impoverished family with unemployed parents and said actualy you deserve to be hungry and cold this winter because of the policies of Blair, Brown, Cameron and May. That's how stupid your post is.
Greece's fiscal deficit was unsustainable - claiming otherwise shows what a fucking economic illiterate you really are.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
9 hours ago, weegienative said:
1) the crash was down to government interference in the mortgage market.
2) Labour had a reckless borrowing policy which was disastrous,  independent of the banking crisis. It was akin to someone in massive debt getting a credit card to pay it off.
3) crony capitalism allowed the banks to behave recklessly knowing they would receive bail outs. They should have been allowed to fail.

The main driving force was the collapse of the US sub-prime market - it was always a house of cards when those debts were turned into derivatives and then the debts couldn't be paid.

The US sub-prime market was a house of cards built on unfettered greed and a total lack of regulation.

I think that regulations that were subsequently introduced to minimise the chance of it happening again have been scrapped by Trump.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
11 hours ago, Detournement said:
Why do you identify with bureaucracy? 
Suggesting that Freedom of Capital, the Stability and Growth Pact, rules on State Aid, CAP, CAF and the Posted Workers Directive are promoting inequality and declining living standards and need to be ended seems fairly sensible to me.

It's one of those great myths the European bureaucrat - there's more fucking bureaucrats in a middling Whitehall department than in the EU.

CS-numbers-2016Q2-individual-department-

These are the numbers. The vast majority of civil servants are employed providing direct services. Job centres, benefits, the prison estate, the legal system and the armed forces.

Most other departments only have a couple of thousand full time employees. It's this class of person who is likely to fit the term bureaucrat. 

I have said on here many times that I am adamant that there will not be a No Deal Brexit; there is no desire for it in Parliament.
May has said no second referendum but she has said other things and been forced to change her position.
The funny (?) thing about a leadership challenge is that there will be no unanimity.  The Brexiteers won’t want a Remainer and the ‘sensible’ Tories won’t want a rabid No Dealer.
A ‘moderate’ Brexiteer will get no more concessions from Brussels than May has.

A new leader will just be like moving the deckchairs on the Titanic.