Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I'm not sure there would need to be leadership contest straight away if she did resign. If it did come to that what would the appointment of Boris achieve apart from a No Deal?

Armageddon. 

16 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There won’t be a Hard Brexit.  I’m not sure what is going to happen but it’s the one thing I’m confident will not happen.  The majority of Tories, including May, know that a Hard Brexit would f**k them up.

The last few years of politics in the UK have made me realise one thing and that is that we should honestly have no confidence that either the Government or the public, can be relied upon to choose the best outcome for the country  in any given situation or vote. The country is divided into factions who only see as far as their own interests start and finish and few people can honestly see any bigger vision for the country as a whole. 

ETA - I am not exempting myself from that assessment either - i'm with the faction that just hopes this shit brings about independence and we can start looking at how Scotland can recover from the Brexit damage.

Edited by Jambomo

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

That’s just laziness on your part; the proper response should be to release your own record.

I could give you a hand with the lyrics:

Suspect Device says you ought to think twice.  Brexit won’t be nice and we’ll all be eating rice.

Edited by Granny Danger

33 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s just laziness on your part; the proper response should be to release your own record.

Suspect Device says you ought to think twice.  Brexit won’t be nice and we’ll all be eating rice.

And ending with Brexit's going to blow up in their face.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Jesus, man, I'm crying into my pilau.....

4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

The last few years of politics in the UK have made me realise one thing and that is that we should honestly have no confidence that either the Government or the public, can be relied upon to choose the best outcome for the country  in any given situation or vote. The country is divided into factions who only see as far as their own interests start and finish and few people can honestly see any bigger vision for the country as a whole. 

ETA - I am not exempting myself from that assessment either - i'm with the faction that just hopes this shit brings about independence and we can start looking at how Scotland can recover from the Brexit damage.

I tend to draw parallels between Golf Club / Bowling Club etc committees and our current and recent Governments.

The majority are self centred and only care about their year or couple of years in power, they have no forward thinking and don't wish to put any mid to long term plans in place which, although benefiting the club / country for years to come, would mean that they get nothing for this and someone else would benefit in future years.

People like Gove are possibly the worst types as they have such arrogance and bravado that they don't even hide the fact that they are only in it for themselves and are using their position to get as much personal gain out of it as possible.

It's all pretty sad, but even worse is that our half witted self centred population are actually voting for them.................

I’m not making excuses but any Parliamentary system that has a five year life span will be prone to short-term thinking.

There is no acceptable way of addressing that; extending a Parliamentary term to ten years is certainly not the answer.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not making excuses but any Parliamentary system that has a five year life span will be prone to short-term thinking.

There is no acceptable way of addressing that; extending a Parliamentary term to ten years is certainly not the answer.

In my opinion it's not so much the 5 year life span, more it's the winner takes all approach that gifts even a single seat majority an incredibly broad suite of powers. Systems, such as the US one, that splits power between different branches of the government and in the majority of terms offers the "other side" real control over important aspects of policy making. Of course the down side of that is that without a large centrist wing in both parties you end up with polarised sides and inevitable deadlock unless one side wins all branches of government. Still though, it's arguably a more robust means of government than giving the Prime Minister the keys to everything, only for that to all be swept away next time out.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I tend to draw parallels between Golf Club / Bowling Club etc committees and our current and recent Governments.

The majority are self centred and only care about their year or couple of years in power, they have no forward thinking and don't wish to put any mid to long term plans in place which, although benefiting the club / country for years to come, would mean that they get nothing for this and someone else would benefit in future years.

People like Gove are possibly the worst types as they have such arrogance and bravado that they don't even hide the fact that they are only in it for themselves and are using their position to get as much personal gain out of it as possible.

It's all pretty sad, but even worse is that our half witted self centred population are actually voting for them.................

This is outrageous.  At our local golf club, we do have a long term plan to ensure that members wear the appropriate socks at all times.

The length, the colour, the knit pattern must all meet existing regulations.  These are of critical importance.

Only the other day, somebody invited a friend to play at the course and he was wearing socks displaying the insignia of another golf club.
This will not do.  He has been spoken to sternly and told he will not be welcome at the Sunday barbecue.

I blame the EU. ;)

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

That was the Scottish electorate attitude in 2014.  And Middle England's in 2016.  In fact it's pretty much anyone's attitude to anything these days. Can't see further ahead than tomorrow. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

This is outrageous.  At our local golf club, we do have a long term plan to ensure that members wear the appropriate socks at all times.

The length, the colour, the knit pattern must all meet existing regulations.  These are of critical importance.

Only the other day, somebody invited a friend to play at the course and he was wearing socks displaying the insignia of another golf club.
This will not do.  He has been spoken to sternly and told he will not be welcome at the Sunday barbecue.

I blame the EU. ;)

That sounds very much like Inverness (Culcabock) GC.

Shower of stuck up c***s they are.

Corbyn humiliated again in Parliament today.  Said a lot of right things, exposed the problems of May and the Tory government over Brexit, pointed out that there hadn’t been a single concession from the EU since the delayed vote in December.  

However when it was pointed out that he had not offered any alternate proposal on behalf of the official opposition it basically reduced everything he had said to pointless rhetoric.