Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Taped Newsnight last night and watched some of it this morning.

Swinson is going to be a facilitator of a No Deal Brexit.  Not surprising but still disappointing.

Everything else aside, the Johnson political machine is far slicker than anything the opposition parties can come up with.

The Tories have a very on point message which they are repeating (lies and all).  It is far more effective than the waffley, and at times, contradictory narrative being offered by the other side.

25 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Are you for fucking real. In the event of No deal, there will have to be changes at border. Regardless of how small, violence will resurface.

This is hardly solving itself.

I honestly don't think there will be.

In the 70s/80s/90s terrorist violence suited the ends of the British government and the paramilitaries were part of a wider European radical culture which was has disappeared.

I have my doubts that the Real IRA cosplayers actually want to go toe to toe with a 21st century security state.

11 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Ok, they aren’t & have never attempted to subvert democracy in favour of railroading their policies through a democratically elected establishment, why you’ve thought to compare them with Bojo who has been in power a matter of days, to me, seems ridiculous.
I’m an avid SNP fanboy (until Independence), but if any SNP politician acted in this way, I’d be up in arms.
So, what’s your thoughts on this act by the chosen one?

I wasn't talking about the leadership of the parties at all, I was talking about many of the followers. I'm talking about the kind of person who gives money and support to a guy charged with multiple sexual offences including two of attempted rape, or who turns a blind eye to disturbing accounts of anti-semitism and dismisses it as a Zionist conspiracy. I'm convinced there are many more zoomers on the side of leave than remain, but I'm not all that sure there is a much higher proportion of Tory zoomers than Labour or SNP.

We could do with an alliance of the anti-zoomers right now, it's too easy to point at the zoomers on the other side of the fence and project their zoomerism onto everyone on that side. It's kinda radicalising all of us a little bit just now; if you see the other side as monsters, it'll make you tolerate things on your own side that you shouldn't. I think a lot of moderate Tories are turning a blind eye to just how bad Johnson's actions are because they fear the Corbynistas and don't want to give ground to them.

As for Johnson here, it's a shocking abuse of executive power, maybe the worst since 1834. It's not a coup or the end of democracy, but it's a grotesquely anti-democratic act designed to halve the amount of parliamentary time available to debate or pass legislation on Brexit, and we're already stupidly, desperately short of time. No MP and no party member should stand for it, the day they return from recess he should be out on his arse.

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

HB's right, since the internet and all that terrorism stopped happening.

In the 70s the Ulster groups were part of a phenomenon that included Red Army Faction in Germany, Red Brigades in Italy and ETA in the Basque country. There were also multiple secular Arab groups operating in Europe and numerous governments around the world that existed due to national liberation struggles. None of that exists anymore. 

It seems far fetched that anyone is going to turn to terrorism because an Amazon lorry is being customs checked. 

48 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Taped Newsnight last night and watched some of it this morning.

Swinson is going to be a facilitator of a No Deal Brexit.  Not surprising but still disappointing.

Everything else aside, the Johnson political machine is far slicker than anything the opposition parties can come up with.

The Tories have a very on point message which they are repeating (lies and all).  It is far more effective than the waffley, and at times, contradictory narrative being offered by the other side.

Do you still use your old Betamax machine, or have you upgraded to VHS now?

It's absolute delusion to believe that there aren't still people in Northern Ireland willing to use violence to achieve their goals.

The RIRA shot and killed a journalist in April. There's also been numerous explosive devices sent via post and so on.

20 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Sorry, mate, but I just can't let this pass. I'm not even going to ask what Corbyn could have done, as he has defeated the government on many occasions despite the likes of Umunna, Watson and Phillips trying to f**k him over, never mind the braying Hoorays opposite.

We know who owns the press in this country, so that coverage is unsurprising, but the role of the BBC in domestic politics in the last five years has been nothing short of a disgrace. ITV and C4 may well have to appeas advertisers (although well done to Dorothy Byrne for calling the lying cúnt out last week), but the National Broadcaster has a duty to inform and to be impartial.

Apologies - I meant to respond to this yesterday just didn't get round to it.

I agree the right wing press in this country, and the BBC are hell bent on destroying Corbyn at every opportunity and generally doing whatever they can to make his life hell. Apart from defeating the govt on May's withdrawal agreements  which was achieved largely thanks to SNP support tory rebels, what other defeats did he inflict on them?

I will still argue that Corbyn is the most dilatory, indecisive, ineffectual leader the Labour Party have had since the days of Kinnock and Michael Foot. He really should have been replaced as leader a long time ago. The only accusation I could never make against him is that of him being anti-semitic or racist in any way, shape or form.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

In the 70s the Ulster groups were part of a phenomenon that included Red Army Faction in Germany, Red Brigades in Italy and ETA in the Basque country. There were also multiple secular Arab groups operating in Europe and numerous governments around the world that existed due to national liberation struggles. None of that exists anymore. 

It seems far fetched that anyone is going to turn to terrorism because an Amazon lorry is being customs checked. 

From the outside, it seems far-fetched that a young man should be murdered simply because he was wearing the shirt of a football club who had played their rivals that day. In Glasgow, however...

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

From the outside, it seems far-fetched that a young man should be murdered simply because he was wearing the shirt of a football club who had played their rivals that day. In Glasgow, however...

It hasn't happened for 25 years in Glasgow so it's not very likely at all.

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Apologies - I meant to respond to this yesterday just didn't get round to it.

I agree the right wing press in this country, and the BBC are hell bent on destroying Corbyn at every opportunity and generally doing whatever they can to make his life hell. Apart from defeating the govt on May's withdrawal agreements  which was achieved largely thanks to SNP support tory rebels, what other defeats did he inflict on them?

I will still argue that Corbyn is the most dilatory, indecisive, ineffectual leader the Labour Party have had since the days of Kinnock and Michael Foot. He really should have been replaced as leader a long time ago. The only accusation I could never make against him is that of him being anti-semitic or racist in any way, shape or form.

Defeat of the Finance bill, and succeeding in having the Government held in contempt of Parliament. Obviously any defeat of the Government required support from other parties - that's the way arithmetic works, even before factoring in the ABCs on the Labour benches.

Especially with the contempt ruling, I again ask what more do you expect? I repeat - The UK Government was held to be in contempt of Parliament. Corbyn has been the figurehead of the actions which resulted in that vote and result, and what did we see? The BBC and the rest of the RW press simply ignored the ramifications, and circle-jerked for a couple of days asking each other and their tame WM mouthpieces (Watson, Soubry, et al) what this might mean for Brexit.

I REPEAT - THE GOVERNMENT WAS FOUND TO BE IN CONTEMPT OF PARLIAMENT.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Do you still use your old Betamax machine, or have you upgraded to VHS now?

If you're old enough, you'll know that VHS was in no way* an upgrade on Betamax. Sony had by far the better system, and by far the poorer marketing campaign.

*Except choice of films to rent.

7 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

If you're old enough, you'll know that VHS was in no way* an upgrade on Betamax. Sony had by far the better system, and by far the poorer marketing campaign.

*That was thanks to the High St TV Rental outfits adopting VHS rather than Betamax. Way back then, people preferred to rent than buy.

I agree the Sony machines were superior but they were more expensive.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

13 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The best system was Philips V2000.

You could record on both sides of the tape. Unfortunately it never took off.