Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

29 minutes ago, Paco said:

Last night was a genuine disgrace. I’ve no idea where this country is going, but it isn’t good.

There is absolutely no way the majority of Tory MPs are sitting there thinking this is right and proper. But they’re going to do absolutely nothing about it.

This country?

(I know I'm in England at the moment but this is purely a temporary arrangement)

This country?
(I know I'm in England at the moment but this is purely a temporary arrangement)

The UK.

Scotland fucking off is inevitable, but it’d be foolhardy to shrug and think none of this is affecting a large chunk of Scots too.

I really didn’t see Trumpism coming to the UK, and now here we are.

47 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

Long term gain? You do realise in the 50s and 60s our GDP growth was lower than EEC countries when there was only 6 members. Now there's 27. What makes you think we'll be better off leaving now? Madness

Because, apparently, the world's genuine superpowers will be minded to negotiate favourable trade terms with a medium-sized nation nursing a bruising trade deficit.

Slow, long term, decline and reduced influence seems to me a near certainty - but hey, we'll be able to limit Turkish immigration so it'll all be worth it :rolleyes:

Through all the bluff and bluster, messy hair, jokey appearance and stupid stunts he pulls off to make himself seem like the "normal" guy next door come good, or a loveable rogue, last night just confirmed what most non Tories (ie intelligent people) believed; that Johnson is a downright nasty piece of fucking work. An absolute scumbag of a man. 

There’s talk about new legislation to force Johnson to seek an Article 50 extension earlier than previously agreed.

There will be some Tories like Hammond and Grieve who will be reluctant to support this.  Could be tight if it goes to the vote.

I thought there might be a thread on the Wrightbus failure but no,  so I 've posted here as brexit has been cited as a contributory factor by some.

Green Pastures, a registered charity, has constructed a major new ‘super’ church and community facilities outside Ballymena. According to the charity’s accounts it had an income of £7.8 million in 2018 and expenditure of £4.5 million.

The funding from Wrightbus for Green Pastures came from the parent company, The Cornerstone Group, to “fund the group’s commitment to Christian, evangelical and other charitable activities”.

Seems the church could bail out the company. It's got a large chunk of the profits.

Edited by cyderspaceman

2 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I thought there might be a thread on the Wrightbus failure but no,  so I 've posted here as brexit has been cited as a contributory factor by some.

Seems the church could bail out the company. It's got a large chunk of the profits.

A bigger factor might be that Wrightbus gave the church £15 million - over a period of years.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Paco said:

Last night was a genuine disgrace. I’ve no idea where this country is going, but it isn’t good.

There is absolutely no way the majority of Tory MPs are sitting there thinking this is right and proper. But they’re going to do absolutely nothing about it.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Paco said:

What's more disturbing is the number of voters who think it's okay to do this.

The next stage of the Americanisation of UK politics is pretty much complete.

Johnson is simply aping Trump. No matter what he does, what lies he tells, how shocking his behaviour is,  what parliamentary norms he breaks, he knows that he has the full backing of a certain percentage of the population....those who want to see him act like this and who are encouraged by it.

The other percentage of the population who detest the khqunt, will continue to detest him, and Johnson.....and seemingly the whole Tory party.... don't give a rat's arse about that.

It's bare-faced, right-wing,dog whistle populism and those previously decent Tory politicians should be eternally ashamed for supporting this.

He knows that due to the FPTP system, the opposition against him are split and the cards are stacked in his favour come a GE. 

This is an all-time low for UK politics, and I wonder if the country as a whole will ever recover politically from this utterly disastrous episode.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Leaving the EU = Long term gain

Remainiacs always assume the worst, it's quite possible to better ourselves as well.

Long term fucking gain my arse.

The UK is behind vast swathes of EU countries in terms of living standards and social conditions. We also have the highest rate of financial disparity between the have's and have nots in the western world (outside the USA)....something that Brexit is almost guaranteed to accelerate. 

It's a cesspit of a country that is sliding backwards at a startling rate. Only a feckin clown thinks that Brexit will improve our lot.

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The next stage of the Americanisation of UK politics is pretty much complete.

Johnson is simply aping Trump. No matter what he does, what lies he tells, how shocking his behaviour is,  what parliamentary norms he breaks, he knows that he has the full backing of a certain percentage of the population....those who want to see him act like this and who are encouraged by it.

The other percentage of the population who detest the khqunt, will continue to detest him, and Johnson.....and seemingly the whole Tory party.... don't give a rat's arse about that.

It's bare-faced, right-wing,dog whistle populism and those previously decent Tory politicians should be eternally ashamed for supporting this.

He knows that due to the FPTP system, the opposition against him are split and the cards are stacked in his favour come a GE. 

This is an all-time low for UK politics, and I wonder if the country as a whole will ever recover politically from this utterly disastrous episode.

This. Absolutely this. 

1 minute ago, ford prefect said:
26 minutes ago, hearthammer said:
Would the same logic and foresight be applied to an Independence vote by you ??

Of course not. It's only the good ship brittania that can ever prosper alone...

Got a red dot from one of the resident blighty knee bending hee-haws as the principle applied to their brexit cause is apparently sacrosanct and doesn't fit their narrative if applied to any Independence  argument.  Hey ho.

After yesterday, let's push for it with even more determination.