Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Let's not forget we the worst state pension of any major country with a higher qualifying age than other EU countries who still also send considerable sums to Brussels.
I'm convinced that there are millions of UK residents that genuinely still think that Britannia rules the waves and that as a nation we are superior to the likes of France and Germany. Much of this probably harks back to WWII where "the French would be speaking German if it wasn't for us", conveniently forgetting that we too would have been up s*** creek without the US and other allies.
You only need to go abroad to some coastal resort in Spain where working class Brits congregate to see that an alarming proportion of the UK working class are self-entitled, ignorant and arrogant bigots-in-denial that are supposedly the lifeblood of the subservient nations that would die without our holiday custom. It's something engrained through much of our society, and Boris is harnessing it to full effect.

I reckon the Tories presently have bunches of focus groups around the country (or at least in marginal constituencies) and are carefully gauging reaction to OTP rhetoric and using this to inform their strategy.

It is that sort of micro management that contributed to Cummings’ success during the EU referendum campaign.

If only Labour was so well attuned.

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Let's not forget we the worst state pension of any major country with a higher qualifying age than other EU countries who still also send considerable sums to Brussels.
I'm convinced that there are millions of UK residents that genuinely still think that Britannia rules the waves and that as a nation we are superior to the likes of France and Germany. Much of this probably harks back to WWII where "the French would be speaking German if it wasn't for us", conveniently forgetting that we too would have been up s*** creek without the US and other allies.
You only need to go abroad to some coastal resort in Spain where working class Brits congregate to see that an alarming proportion of the UK working class are self-entitled, ignorant and arrogant bigots-in-denial that are supposedly the lifeblood of the subservient nations that would die without our holiday custom. It's something engrained through much of our society, and Boris is harnessing it to full effect.

We would also have been up the creek if it was not for the English Channel.  Very useful having a moat when there is a threat of invasion.

Edited by Fullerene

Pure Cummings as in the meaningless but emotionally resonant "Take Back Control!".

In addition to my last post, to many this undoubtedly has the connotation of "we previously had control of half the world, not just our own country". That worked out well of course.

32 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Bureaucrats stop wars. Belter. 

Intermingled economies stop wars. 

There's a reason why the precursor to the EEC was the European Coal and Steel Community - because it was thought to be near impossible for two countries to go to war if steel and coal supplies were integrated. 

Edited by The OP

Leaving the EU = Long term gain

Remainiacs always assume the worst, it's quite possible to better ourselves as well.

You’re a fucking simpleton. Long term gain? We’ll all be fucking poorer, the royal college of radiologists has said that they will be forced to ration cancer scans and treatments, just think about that, people will actually die and apparently thats long term gain? What if one of the people who dies because of rationing is the baby who’d go on to cure it? Wheres the long term gain in that? You absolute mindless nutter.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You’re a fucking simpleton. Long term gain? We’ll all be fucking poorer, the royal college of radiologists has said that they will be forced to ration cancer scans and treatments, just think about that, people will actually die and apparently thats long term gain? What if one of the people who dies because of rationing is the baby who’d go on to cure it? Wheres the long term gain in that? You absolute mindless nutter.

Saw a clip from Andrew Neil I agree with.  bemoaned people screeching on the one hand, UK out of the EU would be north Korea and UK in EU is a vassal state.  Neither are true.

The idea the UK would actually leave without a deal is, I think even in the madness of today, still unlikely.

Edited by tirso

5 minutes ago, tirso said:

Saw a clip from Andrew Neil I agree with.  on the one hand, UK out of the EU would be north Korea and UK in EU is a vassal state.  Neither are true.

The idea the UK would actually leave without a deal is, I think even in the madness of today, still unlikely.

Leaving without a deal is certainly what a sizeable chunk of the Tories, including Boris, are angling for.

I agree it is unlikely, but there is still an extremely ineffective opposition to take into consideration.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

It's remarkable people are still banging on about 'ineffective opposition' when the past 4 years has saw three prime ministers, record levels of Commons defeats and the government losing its personal and working majorities.

ETA: I'm saying remarkable but it's basically only being said by folk who sincerely wish Blair was still in power.

Edited by NotThePars

9 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Leaving without a deal is certainly what a sizeable chunk of the Tories, including Boris, are angling for.

I agree it is unlikely, but there is still an extremely ineffective opposition to take into consideration.

if am honest, I don't think those people even really want a no deal.  they want a better deal.  Who know, i'm not in their head but I think they want better than the backstop.  No deal doesn't help anybody.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

It's remarkable people are still banging on about 'ineffective opposition' when the past 4 years has saw three prime ministers, record levels of Commons defeats and the government losing its personal and working majorities.

ETA: I'm saying remarkable but it's basically only being said by folk who sincerely wish Blair was still in power.

Are you suggesting the Labour party have been effective opposition? The occurrences you describe have as much to do with the Tory infighting as anything else.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Are you including me in that edit?

Can you provide some evidence to back that up?

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Are you suggesting the Labour party have been effective opposition? The occurrences you describe have as much to do with the Tory infighting as anything else.

They would've passed Brexit if they'd secured a majority in 2017. The Tories have imploded as a result of their government being frustrated at every turn. I think every opposition party deserves some of the credit.*

*Apart from the Lib Dems who support Brexit.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

They would've passed Brexit if they'd secured a majority in 2017. The Tories have imploded as a result of their government being frustrated at every turn. I think every opposition party deserves some of the credit.*

*Apart from the Lib Dems who support Brexit.

And now you think the Lib Dems support Brexit?