Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

8 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I can't quite work out the best way to google this. I see Labour are planning on abstaining today on what is likely to be the Conservatives general election bill for the 12th. What % of votes are required to have been cast for a bill to take affect? Does it need 2/3rds of the house to vote Yes or No? 

It needs 2/3rds of MPs in total, not just those who vote. So an abstention is the same as a no vote. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It needs 2/3rds of MPs in total, not just those who vote. So an abstention is the same as a no vote. 

Cheers. Why doesn't Labour then just abstain on everything they don't want? Surely nothing can get through parliament that way.

27 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If there is a GE and the Tories ultimately gain a majority then that's Democracy.

We may not agree with it and we may not be happy, however this charade in Westminster can't be allowed to continue indefinitely. Basically the whole country is gridlocked, uncertainty abounds and the real life issues aren't being tackled because everyone is caught up in this madness.

Labour and Corbyn are a joke, Swinson and the Lib Dems are a bunch of snakes who can't be trusted with anything and the Tories are, well the Tories, we all know what they stand for and we all know the damage they're going to do should they gain their majority, however if people are stupid enough to vote them in, then what can we do ?

Who knows, maybe a few years of real pain and suffering is what's needed to bring people back to their senses ????

FPTP aside, you first line is correct.

As for your last line, those who will suffer most are those who are least able to protect themselves.  I’m not too comfortable with others “pain and suffering” but that’s what it will come too.

Edited by Granny Danger

8 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

2/3rds of MPs that vote. Abstaining doesn't count as a vote.

Not under the FTPA, abstaining counts the same as a No vote, ie 434 yes votes needed for it to pass.

Edited by welshbairn

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not under the FTPA, abstaining counts the same as a No vote, ie 434 yes votes needed for it to pass.

Well if that's the case, what difference does it make if they simply vote it down rather than abstaining?

5 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Well if that's the case, what difference does it make if they simply vote it down rather than abstaining?

Nothing, except abstaining makes them look even more dithery than they do already. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

It could backfire on them.

Not really. The SNP (like the Lib Dems) are hoping for a massive tory majority leading to a tory brexit. They can just blame it on the failure of Labour.

The Lib Dems can continue to be in bed with the tories and the SNP can come back up to Scotland and say they tried everything to prevent brexit but Scotlands voice was ultimately ignored.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Splits in the SNP?  Angus MacNeil questioning the strategy.

ETA now saying he won’t vote for a GE.

McNeil's turning into a bit of an arse. He was saying a couple of weeks ago that Joanna Cherry should replace Nicola as SNP leader.

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

MacNeil is one of those plan B psychopaths. Hes a complete head case. Some of the things he hits out with on twitter are mental.

His argument against a GE was very cogent.

I don't like that the SNP are giving the Tories a General election but in reality, i'm not that sure what else anyone can really do. The options now are Johnson's terrible deal (which is almost a no deal) or no deal, so neither are desirable to anyone. What do Labour actually propose to do? They seem happy to sit and wait but I don't know what for, the idea of a second referendum keeps being voted down. All we are waiting for is Westminster to become so desperate that they pass this stupid deal because there is no other alternative. 

The 9 December option is about the best of a bad bunch.

It at least would ensure Johnson's shite deal doesn't go through before a General Election.

The alternative of postponing any election until a Brexit Bill is passed is not appealing - as it stands I don't believe there is a majority in the house to do anything. The only thing that might pass is Boris's deal subject to an affirmative referendum - but even I have doubts that would garner enough votes.