Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

You're saying without match funding some other body would make up the difference, I think its as likely that things just wouldn't get funded.

Some wouldn’t. A lot would. Remember, because of the match funding requirement, any EU assisted project already has at least half the money in place. Then there’s the net £8 bn that the UK sends to Brussels. What proportion of that could come to Scottish projects like Fraserburgh? Population pro rata would be 1/12th, but bearing in mind not every part of the UK needs or qualifies for grants, let’s say 1/8th. That’s £1,000 m towards Scottish projects. Year in, year out.

I’d say there’s every likelihood that most harbour improvement projects would still be funded.

45 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Nup, nothing about that.

F me, Joey. You been up all night to come up with that limp one- liner? No idea who these Portsmouth Uni guys are, but here’s some bed time reading for you tonight

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/fish-fights-britain-has-a-long-history-of-trading-away-access-to-coastal-waters-112988

7 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

F me, Joey. You been up all night to come up with that limp one- liner? No idea who these Portsmouth Uni guys are, but here’s some bed time reading for you tonight

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/fish-fights-britain-has-a-long-history-of-trading-away-access-to-coastal-waters-112988

Still nothing there that backs up your line. I'll give you a clue, and it's not being pernickety because it is important. The Single Market only became a thing in 1993. How exactly did the UK 'surrender sovereignty of its waters' in order to join? Or was it playing a very, very long game? Preparing the way before it even joined the EEC and the Single Market was even a concept?

11 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Quite genuinely I hope you are correct. We'll soon see.

Not sure about how soon anybody will be able to say with certainty that Brexit was a good or bad. I reckon 30 or 40 years. And if I'm still arguing the toss with you on the subject then, get yourself a good exorcist.

28 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Still nothing there that backs up your line. I'll give you a clue, and it's not being pernickety because it is important. The Single Market only became a thing in 1993. How exactly did the UK 'surrender sovereignty of its waters' in order to join? Or was it playing a very, very long game? Preparing the way before it even joined the EEC and the Single Market was even a concept?

Okay.1973.

Now. Re the substance of the matter - you were saying?

Edited by Pet Jeden

On 04/02/2020 at 14:46, Kaz said:
On 04/02/2020 at 11:01, Brother Blades said:

Well that’s just silly!

What will we do about flying fish?!?

Put up signs saying 'No Fly Fishing or Flying Fish'

Get bears to monitor the wall.

All flying fish will be eaten

47 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

If you don't mind, I'd like to get the soon-to-be-tedious "Why are the UK still in Eurovision when we voted for Brexit" joke out the way early.

7 English teams and 2 Scottish teams all playing in European competition shortly.

Brexit means Brexit.

On 05/02/2020 at 09:51, Pet Jeden said:

Okay.1973.

Now. Re the substance of the matter - you were saying?

What about before 1973? The point that is floating over your head is that it didn't take membership of the EEC or the EU for the UK to 'surrender sovereignty' so the supposition that now we are out we will not 'surrender sovereignty' is nonsense.

How do you propose we deal with the UK catch from outside our waters?  How do you deal with the Irish Sea and The English Channel?

7 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

What about before 1973? The point that is floating over your head is that it didn't take membership of the EEC or the EU for the UK to 'surrender sovereignty' so the supposition that now we are out we will not 'surrender sovereignty' is nonsense.

How do you propose we deal with the UK catch from outside our waters?  How do you deal with the Irish Sea and The English Channel?

I believe that the fish that UK boats land from EU waters is about 25%  of the reverse. So a fixed term deal that establishes that kind of parity would of course be fair. Maybe with a few years wind down to minimise economic damage to EU interests. As to the Channel and Irish Sea - well, they have to be shared. What's your point? Little Iceland decides who gets to fish what in their waters. Why are saying that the UK shouldn't?

5 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

I believe that the fish that UK boats land from EU waters is about 25%  of the reverse. So a fixed term deal that establishes that kind of parity would of course be fair. Maybe with a few years wind down to minimise economic damage to EU interests. As to the Channel and Irish Sea - well, they have to be shared. What's your point? Little Iceland decides who gets to fish what in their waters. Why are saying that the UK shouldn't?

If I remember rightly 'Little' Iceland gubbed the UK in the cold war.

4 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

If I remember rightly 'Little' Iceland gubbed the UK in the cold war.

You remember wrong. The Cold War was some tiff with the Soviet Union and had lots of highlights like the Berlin airlift and the Cuban Missile crisis and all sorts of other stuff.  World was on the verge of apocalypse but thankfully it didn't happen.

I think you might be thinking about the Cod War.

Just now, Fullerene said:

You remember wrong. The Cold War was some tiff with the Soviet Union and had lots of highlights like the Berlin airlift and the Cuban Missile crisis and all sorts of other stuff.  World was on the verge of apocalypse but thankfully it didn't happen.

I think you might be thinking about the Cod War.

Oops. A typo. Indeed it was the Cod war.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

If pork barrel politics hadn't wildly exaggerated the Soviet threat to get jobs for the good ol' boys in home states, and the Soviets hadn't thought they had better try to live up to it, we might never have had nonstick pans or satnav. Whereas all the Cod Wars brought us was a big contribution to the banking collapse of 2008, and some weird yoghurty stuff.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

?

In the event of Scottish independence, I wouldn't expect rUK to be as spiteful as some EU states are being. So yes, what's left and what's economically recoverable will be our oil. But the real big value in the North Sea was used up paying for unemployment during our partial deindustrialisation 20-40 years ago.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If pork barrel politics hadn't wildly exaggerated the Soviet threat to get jobs for the good ol' boys in home states, and the Soviets hadn't thought they had better try to live up to it, we might never have had nonstick pans or satnav. Whereas all the Cod Wars brought us was a big contribution to the banking collapse of 2008, and some weird yoghurty stuff.

If not for the Second World War we would never have had Rhubarb Crumble.

Iceland is an island several hundred miles from any of its neighbours

I know that many Brexiteers seem to think that description applies to the UK too but it’s probably best not to look on it as a role model