Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

To be expected. Free trade and free movement (of people and capital) are net win/win. Restrictions are lose/lose. 

The calculation (or more accurately, half-witted fantasy) of the brexiteer was that the expected downside for the EU members would be so big they'd overlook moral hazard and give in to the UK's demands. 

I'm sure some of these people feel vindicated when there's some down side for the EU but they really shouldn't- it's already failed as a negotiating ploy and we're worse off. How badly anyone else is affected is moot. 

I don't think you're posting in that spirit likes, just saying. 

I'm no fan of the EU.  However, anyone thinking that the UK would be either dictating or even competent negotiators hasn't been paying attention to UK politics.

My comment was merely an observation of what is happening in the EU as a consequence.  I'm merely an interested observer, someone that is looking for Spanish property.

34 minutes ago, strichener said:

I'm no fan of the EU.  However, anyone thinking that the UK would be either dictating or even competent negotiators hasn't been paying attention to UK politics.

My comment was merely an observation of what is happening in the EU as a consequence.  I'm merely an interested observer, someone that is looking for Spanish property.

I’ve heard Ceuta is nice this time of year. 

On the TV on Sunday some Govt halfwit was being interviewed and almost as an aside was happy to boast that UK had just signed a trade deal with Florida. I assumed some error but no, after giving up dealing freely with 28 neighbour nations UK is now having to do deals state by state in the US ( 7 down and 43 to go ). Not as good as no tariff relief that a full US-UK deal would bring but as good as we can get just now.

What a shambles,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/14/uk-signs-agreement-to-boost-trade-with-florida

Edited by MEADOWXI

18 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

On the TV on Sunday some Govt halfwit was being interviewed and almost as an aside was happy to boast that UK had just signed a trade deal with Florida. I assumed some error but no, after giving up dealing freely with 28 neighbour nations UK is now having to do deals state by state in the US ( 7 down and 43 to go ). Not as good as no tariff relief that a full US-UK deal would bring but as good as we can get just now.

What a shambles,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/14/uk-signs-agreement-to-boost-trade-with-florida

Won't that conflict with the trade deal signed between Clackmannanshire and China?

Surprise!

"The UK’s flagship trans-Pacific trade deal, which was presented as a cornerstone of post-Brexit “global Britain”, will deliver even less benefit to the economy than the tiny uplift that was previously predicted, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility."

20 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

The Brexit project from its inception was f**k all to do with immigration. That was just a ruse to sell it to the uninformed and confused masses. Brexit was about moving the UK economy further away from European social democracy and closer to US anti-worker authoritarianism.

This can't be true, we can't get any foreigners to work in our piss poor jobs like harvesting.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Those evil schemers in Brussels are leaving the UK out of an EU transport project for some mysterious reason.

GCTPiSSXAAAxpNl.thumb.jpg.795edb43bbbff6a61ac011dafaa43ea3.jpg

I'm hearing Ecuador filled in some potholes without approval from Mark Harper*. Fucking disgrace.

*Yes, I had to google who the Minister for Transport is, and no, I still don't think I've ever heard that name before.

On 26/12/2023 at 23:13, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Those evil schemers in Brussels are leaving the UK out of an EU transport project for some mysterious reason.

GCTPiSSXAAAxpNl.thumb.jpg.795edb43bbbff6a61ac011dafaa43ea3.jpg

Do any of the readers ever actually think (I should probably stop there but I will persevere), what a load of bollocks these stories are, of course they left us out, Brexit saw to that. Do the journalists not have a brain that thinks I'm writing crap here.

The whole world of who's fooling who, and who believes any of it is a scary wormhole.

Remember this?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/18/metric-system-imperial-measures-consultation-brexit

Jacob Rees Mogg set up a consultation with a biased set of questions hoping to show that the UK wanted to return to Imperial measurement. It was touted as a "Brexit Bonus"

Finally, the results of this consultation have been released (or would it be more approptiate to suggest "sneaked out during a holiday period" ????)

Here they are:

Overall preference Number of responses Percentage of responses
Status quo (keep metric as primary unit of measurement) 81,867 81.1%
More choice (open to increased use of imperial measures) 870 0.9%
Purely metric (completely metric system) 17,798 17.6%
Purely imperial (completely imperial system) 403 0.4%
Total 100,938 100%

I make that 98.7% pro-metric, against a massive 1.3% pro-imperial responses.

However, pro-imperial brexiteers can rejoice, as they will now be able to buy wine in 568 ml bottles. That's nearly a pint, you know. What a fantastic boost to the economy, and all due to Brexit!

I'm sure that all the EU, US, Australian, South American & South African vineyards are frantically sourcing new bottles & retooling production lines to cope with demand.

Caution: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm

36 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Remember this?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/18/metric-system-imperial-measures-consultation-brexit

Jacob Rees Mogg set up a consultation with a biased set of questions hoping to show that the UK wanted to return to Imperial measurement. It was touted as a "Brexit Bonus"

Finally, the results of this consultation have been released (or would it be more approptiate to suggest "sneaked out during a holiday period" ????)

Here they are:

Overall preference Number of responses Percentage of responses
Status quo (keep metric as primary unit of measurement) 81,867 81.1%
More choice (open to increased use of imperial measures) 870 0.9%
Purely metric (completely metric system) 17,798 17.6%
Purely imperial (completely imperial system) 403 0.4%
Total 100,938 100%

I make that 98.7% pro-metric, against a massive 1.3% pro-imperial responses.

However, pro-imperial brexiteers can rejoice, as they will now be able to buy wine in 568 ml bottles. That's nearly a pint, you know. What a fantastic boost to the economy, and all due to Brexit!

I'm sure that all the EU, US, Australian, South American & South African vineyards are frantically sourcing new bottles & retooling production lines to cope with demand.

Caution: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm

The imperial unit "furlong" is based on the estimated distance one man and one ox can plough in one day.

On that basis, I suggest we adopt a new imperial unit called a Mogg.  If we buy wine then it should be a Mogg of wine.  If we do it properly, it should be approximately 75cl of wine (shush - don't tell anyone).

That will resolve the matter to everyone's satisfaction. 

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

The imperial unit "furlong" is based on the estimated distance one man and one ox can plough in one day.

On that basis, I suggest we adopt a new imperial unit called a Mogg.  If we buy wine then it should be a Mogg of wine.  If we do it properly, it should be approximately 75cl of wine (shush - don't tell anyone).

That will resolve the matter to everyone's satisfaction. 

I think you're mixing up furlongs and acres.

Easy to do with the haphazard mix of crazy units in the imperial system

1 acre = 1 furlong (220 yards) x 1 chain (22 yards) = 10 square chains = 1⁄640 of a square mile = 4840 square yards

Simples!

24 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

1 acre = 1 furlong (220 yards) x 1 chain (22 yards) = 10 square chains = 1⁄640 of a square mile = 4840 square yards

Simples!

or alternatively 40 perches x 4 perches

25 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Simples!

I cannot fathom why people have that problem, knot that I’ve dived into the issue.