Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

If the British State hadn't been so daft as to execute all the top boys in the Post Office, James Connolly might well have been seen as a traitor along with his colleagues for setting back the date of independence, but more likely just an eejit, same as his colleagues. As it happened, despite being a hugely unpopular resurrection given its timing and ineffectualness, the British reaction probably did more than anything to promote Irish Independence. So Connolly went to his death as an eejit but is remembered as a hero.

james-connolly-statue.jpg

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I understand perfectly well but Lenin and Mandela were traitors. There’s still plenty of monuments to them in their own countries.

Connolly’s apparently traitorous behaviour was emulated six years later and was successful.

There's no "apparently" about it. For what it's worth I suspect there will be a statue to the traitor in Edinburgh one day. As time passes reality loses out to myth.

2 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:
6 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:
Surely you know of its history then?

A fair bit, and I'm fairly certain James Connolly never attacked Scotland. Maybe you point me in the direction of the invasion plans?

A fair bit but you're unaware of the events of 1914-16? They're quite prominent in Dublin's history.

8 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

There's no "apparently" about it. For what it's worth I suspect there will be a statue to the traitor in Edinburgh one day. As time passes reality loses out to myth.

I don't particularly like you, but I like the bold bit. (taken on it's own)

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

So glad LongTermLurker doesn't post as much anymore, he'd have made the last five pages even more eye-bleedingly unreadable than they have been

Do you want me to pm him?

You still haven’t answered why that should bar him from having a statue. Are you an imperialist lackey that thinks people shouldn’t resist it if they are fundamentally opposed to it? Should Ireland not have fought for its independence? Should Mandela have fought the apartheid state? Should the Russian revolutionaries have overthrown the Tsar?

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

So glad LongTermLurker doesn't post as much anymore, he'd have made the last five pages even more eye-bleedingly unreadable than they have been

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Do you want me to pm him?

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

don't you fucking dare

:lol:

This is what happens when Clyde don't lose, we're all at a loose end.

(I like LTL.)

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You still haven’t answered why that should bar him from having a statue. Are you an imperialist lackey that thinks people shouldn’t resist it if they are fundamentally opposed to it? Should Ireland not have fought for its independence? Should Mandela have fought the apartheid state? Should the Russian revolutionaries have overthrown the Tsar?

Anyone who voted for Scottish Independence should be hanged for a start. 

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

He shouldn't have a statue because he was a traitor.