Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

7 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

That was story #2.

Less petulant and more stupid. Like I said, I admire the brass neck to talk as condescendingly as he does to everyone else on here given the vast majority of us voted for Remain and Yes.

31 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Every time a company says "it's not because of Brexit" the news should be legally required to have a narrator say "It was totally because of Brexit"

A company can say they are leaving but it is not Brexit.

However if the UK had decided not to leave the EU that might have been used to persuade the company to stay.

It is not simply the presence of a negative, it is also the absence of a positive.

So even when it is not about Brexit - it still is.

IMO

Edited by Fullerene

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Honda seem to taking great pains to emphasize that their decision to close Swansea is unconnected with Brexit.

Could they have been leaned on by the gov/t to say that or am I just being a cynical old git?

It's also unconnected to geography...

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They're not closing for three years so if it was Brexit related they could easily have waited till April before deciding. If it was a marginal decision Brexit might have played a part though. The Japan/EU trade deal was probably a bigger factor, and the shift to electric cars.

They're also closing their Turkish plant. Trexit, no doubt...

Aside from the Japanese giving our brave boys a bloody nose at the minute, I didnt realise that minimum standard VAT was set by the EU (at 15%).

Once we have left I wonder if the party who always tout themselves as the party of low tax, but who, unlike Labour, have always increased standard rate VAT when in power, will look after the ordinary honest to goodness punters who just want to work hard and get ahead, and slash VAT.

6 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Aside from the Japanese giving our brave boys a bloody nose at the minute, I didnt realise that minimum standard VAT was set by the EU (at 15%).

Once we have left I wonder if the party who always tout themselves as the party of low tax, but who, unlike Labour, have always increased standard rate VAT when in power, will look after the ordinary honest to goodness punters who just want to work hard and get head, and slash VAT.

That's a vote winner if ever I read one!

1 hour ago, Jeff Venom said:

Once we have left I wonder if the party who always tout themselves as the party of low tax, but who, unlike Labour, have always increased standard rate VAT when in power, will look after the ordinary honest to goodness punters who just want to work hard and get ahead, and slash VAT.

The party of low tax - for some and not all.  More precisely, low tax for those who can easily pay more.

The Tories loves VAT - it is a very effective tax on the poor - who have to spend most of the money they earn.  Meanwhile much wealthier people don't have to spend all the money they earn - and might even struggle to do so - to such an extent they have even give some of it away - for example - to political parties that allow them to keep it in the first place.

Not that I am being cynical or anything like that.