Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

But they'd be voting against May's deal as a Tory or as an Independent.  I'm not quite sure what the Independent Group achieves other than pure symbolism.

Yip, they get the same number of votes whether they defect or stay and if they defect their voices are less effective.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

But they'd be voting against May's deal as a Tory or as an Independent.  I'm not quite sure what the Independent Group achieves other than pure symbolism.

10 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Will they vote to postpone or cancel Brexit?

AFAIK the independent group are all remainers, compared to the two main parties who both want to respect the 2016 referendum result. I'm a remain voter myself and would like to see Brexit binned, so if there was a GE tomorrow I'd be voting for the independent group if they stand a candidate in my constituency.

27 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

If Labour and the Tories feel threatened by defections to TIG, the quickest way to kill it off could be to call a GE, so they have no time to establish a party structure or even a convincing manifesto. Doubt it will happen, but a hundred or so MPs defecting could reshuffle the pack which I think is needed.

Edited by welshbairn

15 minutes ago, Donathan said:

AFAIK the independent group are all remainers, compared to the two main parties who both want to respect the 2016 referendum result. I'm a remain voter myself and would like to see Brexit binned, so if there was a GE tomorrow I'd be voting for the independent group if they stand a candidate in my constituency.

Apart from the fact they are not yet a political party, they will split the vote and let the Tories in.  

Umunna will be quite happy with that.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Apart from the fact they are not yet a political party, they will split the vote and let the Tories in.  

Umunna will be quite happy with that.

Depends who they prop up. Say there was an election in a few months and these 11 MPs retain their seats as independents due to their local popularity, and theres a hung parliament with Labour and the Tories being roughly equal on seats, I think they'd be willing to back a Labour administration as long as Corbyn is binned.

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yip, they get the same number of votes whether they defect or stay and if they defect their voices are less effective.

At least the defectors can't be whipped into voting for May now that they're out.

You know how these Tories respond to a good whipping session.

23 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Depends who they prop up. Say there was an election in a few months and these 11 MPs retain their seats as independents due to their local popularity, and theres a hung parliament with Labour and the Tories being roughly equal on seats, I think they'd be willing to back a Labour administration as long as Corbyn is binned.

:lol: yeah Labour will bin Corbyn to satisfy these c***s!  Anyway the SNP will have a bigger say as to who forms a government in these circumstances.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

There may be an election, but I very much doubt many of them will retain their seats.

12 minutes ago, Donathan said:

There are loads of examples of people leaving a party and being re-elected as an independent due to local popularity.

Give me 10 within the last 20 years.

Jim Kilfedder and Lady Sylvia Hermon did it here, quitting the Ulster Unionists, both in North Down. Kilfedder held the seat for 18 years after quitting the Ulster Unionists and Lady Hermon has held it for 8. However only Lady Hermon comes under my "twenty year" rule!

Edited by Jacksgranda