Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

15 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Ok, I'll ask .  .  . What's a 'real' takeover?

MPs recently took control of the Patliamentary timetable so they could debate and hold the indicative votes.  The timetable is normally the preserve of the government.

By a “real takeover” I meant MPs actually taking control of the legislative process.  This would be pretty unique.

FWIW if Parliament agreed to this I think May would try to dissolve Parliament or resign. 

ETA the votes on the indicative votes would not be binding; legislation would.

Edited by Granny Danger

51 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Could be we’re facing a ‘real’ takeover by Parliament to avoid a No Deal Brexit.

All 27 have to agree it would be useful to extent A50. 

They all have their own restive populatists at home who they would seek to discourage (other than Hungrary who are the populists).

Unless there is a swing behind Norway Plus or Customs Union its a long stretch to expect the EU 27 to give us more time to fanny around.

9 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

You think the people who cannot get Capita to hire enough soldiers are going to sort out a constitutional impasse between an executive that cannot control her own cabinet and a legislative that cannot get enough votes for any deal.

Poe's Law is getting harder and harder to detect (as many of yesterdays stories showed)

Had to Google 'Poe's Law'. 

It's a fucking minefield.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/09/09/hedge-funds-wager-3bn-pound-plunging-year-amid-no-deal-brexit/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

Hedge funds wager £3bn on the pound plunging this year amid no deal Brexit fears in the City

Just in case anyone's wondering why every posh c**t is desperately urging May to "just leave, for f**k's sake!" 

1 minute ago, dorlomin said:

All 27 have to agree it would be useful to extent A50. 

They all have their own restive populatists at home who they would seek to discourage (other than Hungrary who are the populists).

Unless there is a swing behind Norway Plus or Customs Union its a long stretch to expect the EU 27 to give us more time to fanny around.

I agree.  Barnier has said he would expect a GE or second referendum to justify a long extension.

If Parliament legislates for this over the head of the government a GE would be an inevitable consequence.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

MPs recently took control of the Patliamentary timetable so they could debate and hold the indicative votes.  The timetable is normally the preserve of the government.

By a “real takeover” I meant MPs actually taking control of the legislative process.  This would be pretty unique.

FWIW if Parliament agreed to this I think May would try to dissolve Parliament or resign. 

ETA the votes on the indicative votes would not be binding; legislation would.

So we're in uncharted water? MP's taking control and legislating?

May ruling out a second referendum “in all circumstances.”
So she doesn’t want a referendum (neither do a majority her PMs), she doesn’t want a GE (neither do a majority of her PMs), she doesn’t want to accept any compromise that cuts across her red lines (and neither do a majority of her MPs) and her deal won’t get passed.
Could be we’re facing a ‘real’ takeover by Parliament to avoid a No Deal Brexit. ETA with the possibility of the EU27 refusing an extension though that’s unlikely.

When did May say this?

3 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Yeah, I get that. Just thought Granny was referring to something specific. 

Even if they pass a motion it doesn't force the Government to take notice. They have to introduce proper legislation which they're trying to do tomorrow and the next day, but it has to go through committee stage and the House of Lords and back again, which there may not be time for. Then if it passes it just instructs May to ask the EU for an extension if No Deal is incoming, no length or purpose specified, then she comes back with the EU message and puts to Parliament again. By that time we've probably crashed out anyway.

This thread explains it better. Says the SNP motion yesterday was much better.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1113047756355010565

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Even if they pass a motion it doesn't force the Government to take notice. They have to introduce proper legislation which they're trying to do tomorrow and the next day, but it has to go through committee stage and the House of Lords and back again, which there may not be time for. Then if it passes it just instructs May to ask the EU for an extension if No Deal is incoming, no length or purpose specified, then she comes back with the EU message and puts to Parliament again. By that time we've probably crashed out anyway.

Bercow has said it could go through the HoC in one day.

Don’t know if the Lords have the capacity to filibuster.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Bercow has said it could go through the HoC in one day.

Don’t know if the Lords have the capacity to filibuster.

Acts Of Parliament are subject to pretty strict rules of protocol. Green Papers, White Papers, 1st 2nd readings etc. How can an Act go through in one day? Am I missing something?

They're talking about Macron playing it tough, he sounds very accomodating today.

Macron said credible justifications for an article 50 extension could include an election, second referendum or alternative proposals for the future relationship, such as a customs union. The EU would be “open” to such proposals, but it was for London to put them forward, he said. “It’s up to London to say it, and to say it now.”

"Should the United Kingdom be unable to - three years after the referendum - propose a solution backed by a majority, they will de facto have chosen for themselves to leave without a deal. We cannot avoid failure for them."

Just now, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Acts Of Parliament are subject to pretty strict rules of protocol. Green Papers, White Papers, 1st 2nd readings etc. How can an Act go through in one day? Am I missing something?

That's just the first few stages, many more to go. I suppose if the HoL speed up their procedures too there might be time, but I don't know if they'd be willing or even where they stand on Brexit.

2 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

I’m repeating what Bercow is quoted as having said.

Just now, welshbairn said:

That's just the first few stages, many more to go. I suppose if the HoL speed up their procedures too there might be time, but I don't know if they'd be willing or even where they stand on Brexit.

More one nation Tories than ERG sympathisers in the HoL.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m repeating what Bercow is quoted as having said.

All sounds a bit fanciful, far fetched even.

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy
Spelled 'sounds' wrong. Seriously.