Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Every MP who has met with May over Brexit, regardless of where they stand, have stated afterwards that she’s not budged an inch.

It's the way she is - incapable of compromise and never accepts being told no. 

Hardly a surprise it's a whole fucking mess. 

Every MP who has met with May over Brexit, regardless of where they stand, have stated afterwards that she’s not budged an inch.

Even the Cabinet say she gives one side of the room the idea she’s leaning to them, the same impression to the opposite side, and then pleases nobody.

In other words, she can’t be trusted. I suspect she’ll be trying to get Corbyn to vote for her WA based on ‘fruitful talks’ about the future relationship, then she’ll f**k Labour over (or leave and we have a Brexiteer PM) and that’ll be that since it’s signed into law that we’re leaving.

14 minutes ago, Paco said:

She’s just trying to position the blame onto Corbyn and give her party a common enemy.

Something I’ve not seen mentioned, but she I’m pretty sure she said, was that Corbyn would need to agree to the Withdrawal Agreement before they can get anywhere. Surely no way that’s happening?

Committing to listening to Parliament is something, I guess...

Labour have admitted that they haven't a problem with the WA, it's the Political Declaration, but they go together. They won't vote for one without the other and they want the PD changed. May said she'll go by the favoured indicative vote if Corbyn commits to doing the same. Labour will be thinking now "WTF do we do if it's an SNP motion?!?".

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

Even the Cabinet say she gives one side of the room the idea she’s leaning to them, the same impression to the opposite side, and then pleases nobody.

In other words, she can’t be trusted. I suspect she’ll be trying to get Corbyn to vote for her WA based on ‘fruitful talks’ about the future relationship, then she’ll f**k Labour over (or leave and we have a Brexiteer PM) and that’ll be that since it’s signed into law that we’re leaving.

If Corbyn has any sense he will insist that the leaders of the SNP, Lib Dems, DUP, Plaid and Greens are included.  It will put him in a stronger position.  He’s probably to pig headed to do so.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

If Corbyn has any sense he will insist that the leaders of the SNP, Lib Dems, DUP, Plaid and Greens are included.  It will put him in a stronger position.  He’s probably to pig headed to do so.

They might insist on TIG turning up.

I can’t believe some people are still peddling the “respect the result” line and others are still buying it.
One of the Tories in yesterday’s debate made the point that in 2016 people were promised a completely unrealistic Brexit.  
They were promised we could leave the EU and still retain all the benefits; this has been proven to be a complete lie.
Any decision based on such a complete misrepresentation has no validity, particularly given the narrowness of the vote.
The democratic thing to do is put it back to the people now the issues and options are known.  We should all then accept the result, even if it’s a Hard Brexit.

The respect the result line is even used against soft Brexit options - duplicitous shites of the first degree.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think that was the only politically adept move she's made. Shafted Corbyn and the ERG (maybe) at the same time. Nicking their phones was masterful, first time for ages Cabinet hasn't been tweeted live. Might undermine support for the bill tomorrow for Parliamentary control too.

I think it possibly was but there's a lot of detail we don't know yet.

If she meets Corbyn and basically just rehashes the political deceleration as it is with some cosmetic changes, she'll rightly be told to f**k off and it'll reflect really badly on her. If it's an offer of the Customs Union Labour have been looking for, it makes things pretty tough for Corbyn as that's a well established party policy. If we don't see any cabinet members resigning in fury in the next few hours, I suspect it may well be the former.

My instinct though is that we can maybe see a route through the impasse. We've definitely just found an arrangement and just snatched it out of thin air as a magic fix and have really dumbed it down, MPs just going on training courses and learning the definitions now ffs. In reality, well before A50 was triggered or really early on, we really should have found an arrangement first that would pass parliament and then we could have produced a much much better WA, we really needed to get as much of the stuff we're aiming for in the trade deal and the political deceleration legally binding and there is going to be a lot of turbulence ahead in that stage I think.

If it was done logically, I think May would go to Brussels and ask for a year with an explanation that red lines had changed, with demonstrable parliamentary support, and give parliament plenty of time to ratify the various mechanisms being used with the hope that it'd actually only take a few months. Internal Tory politics means though that she will need this done asap as she's (and possibly Corbyn) just not got that staying power anymore.

The whole thing is such a nonsense as it's basically just coming to an agreement that being under the sphere of EU control without a say is better than any of the alternatives but no Brexit option is smart.

MPs recently took control of the Patliamentary timetable so they could debate and hold the indicative votes.  The timetable is normally the preserve of the government.

By a “real takeover” I meant MPs actually taking control of the legislative process.  This would be pretty unique.

FWIW if Parliament agreed to this I think May would try to dissolve Parliament or resign. 

ETA the votes on the indicative votes would not be binding; legislation would.

Call me a stupid but that's what democracy should be about. This strong government line that is pulled is utter bullshit - there has to be a balance between what the Executive can bring forward and what MPs can bring forward - it's far too much in favour of whoever is in Government.

And that isn't democratic.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Call me a stupid but that's what democracy should be about. This strong government line that is pulled is utter bullshit - there has to be a balance between what the Executive can bring forward and what MOs can bring forward - it's far too much in favour of whoever is in Government.

And that isn't democratic.

Legislation should not be the sole prerogative of government.

4 minutes ago, harry94 said:

In reality, well before A50 was triggered or really early on, we really should have found an arrangement first that would pass parliament and then we could have produced a much much better WA, we really needed to get as much of the stuff we're aiming for in the trade deal and the political deceleration legally binding and there is going to be a lot of turbulence ahead in that stage I think.

That's never going to work though. As long as there is time on the clock MPs and other interested parties will try to use that time to achieve their goals.

2 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

No way the EU will grant another extension to this farce.

The line is that they'd still be happy to do so to ratify the WA on the table if it was actually passed. If that was done and the political deceleration agreed within the Commons to be the Customs Union (as was done before), this is palatable to EU leaders so they would be happy to give an extension in that case I'd think.

It just can't linger on without agreement, May needs to get it from Corbyn very quickly.