Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

One of the biggest issues for Indyref 2 would be the voter apathy - how many referendums, elections or others have the Scottish voting public had to show up for in the last 5 years?

I've never really understood the voter fatigue claim. Getting bored of the campaigns maybe but all you have to do is tick a box.

24 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Or get new ones.

I need one.

Hard Brexit makes IndyRef2 in 2018 almost a certainty.

And I'll be voting Yes.

What he said!

This is lunacy of the highest order.

( I'm agreeing with you btw )

Edited by WILLIEA

The No vote imho is a lot softer than the Yes vote - we saw that in the last referendum where No's massive lead was whittled down over just 6 months.

You may be right but there are definitely people moving the other way as well. I grew up in a fishing town and most of them despise the EU. Some folk I know who voted yes in 2014 have told me they will vote no in another indyref because of the EU.

My argument that independence within the EU is preferable to being a region in the UK doesn't wash with them.

To succeed the yes side need a strong economic plan, a viable currency arrangement(preferably our own currency) and a helpful EU.

This combined with the shambles going on down south should seal it.

Just now, Mastermind said:
48 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:
It doesn't matter how hard Brexit is, or how hard the tories f**k Scotland, we still contain enough utter shitebags who will always happily vote "no" to Independence to ensure more of the same.

Pleasing.

Hurrah.

14 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

You may be right but there are definitely people moving the other way as well. I grew up in a fishing town and most of them despise the EU. Some folk I know who voted yes in 2014 have told me they will vote no in another indyref because of the EU.

My argument that independence within the EU is preferable to being a region in the UK doesn't wash with them.

They all think there going to catch what they want and make (bigger) fortunes they are in for a shock when the place where most of the fish goes closes for them

To succeed the yes side need a strong economic plan, a viable currency arrangement(preferably our own currency) and a helpful EU.
This combined with the shambles going on down south should seal it.

I read somewhere that something like 68% of their catch is sold in the Eh, mainly to Spain. They also have access to EU funds to start up. How do they expect to replace this?

7 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I read somewhere that something like 68% of their catch is sold in the Eh, mainly to Spain. They also have access to EU funds to start up. How do they expect to replace this?

With a Red, White & Blue Brexit, that's what'll replace it.

They hate the fact there is other nations fishing boats in UK waters. Some of them believe the UK will devolve the fishing industry to Scotland (lol).

Also the fish markets used to be an easy job to fall back on if times were tough but I don't think that's really the case now.

It's the fault of the immigrants of course, nothing to do with the unregulated over fishing that went on for decades.

I've never really understood the voter fatigue claim. Getting bored of the campaigns maybe but all you have to do is tick a box.

I postal vote and have done for yonks.Nice lazy option plus no rubbing shoulders with riff raff.Easy peasy.

The Uk government have to agree to hold another referendum: either they won't or they'll fudge until they feel they can 'fix' the outcome. 

What percentage would normally use postal votes in an election/referendum? And would you expect them to be counted in the country/region holding the election/referendum? And what sort of company/organisation would you employ to count these votes?

The Uk government have to agree to hold another referendum: either they won't or they'll fudge until they feel they can 'fix' the outcome. 

What percentage would normally use postal votes in an election/referendum? And would you expect them to be counted in the country/region holding the election/referendum? And what sort of company/organisation would you employ to count these votes?

True but UDI could happen if opinion wants a ref and the witch may denies it

I think the UK Govt's whole angle will be hard border with Scotland as the stick (losing access to the 'the UK single market') and more powers (fishing, agriculture) as the carrot.

Success in countering that really does require a separate currency and strong EU support.

An obvious question needs to be asked here. Do these fishermen believe that a Minister from an iScotland would negotiate a better/worse/the same deal with the EU than a Westminster Minister who cares about fishing only insofar as it can be used to better some other parts of a settlement ? To use this as a "voted yes last time,but will vote no this time" is shortsighted. If it is still a concern after an iScotland settlement in fishery policy is negotiated,then start a campaign to leave the EU.

I think the UK Govt's whole angle will be hard border with Scotland as the stick (losing access to the 'the UK single market') and more powers (fishing, agriculture) as the carrot.
Success in countering that really does require a separate currency and strong EU support.

Depends on the Irish border situation

8 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Would be my dream scenario and im a yes voter.

1 minute ago, AUFC90 said:

This, the reply will always be " look at Ireland". It will be repeated that many times that the thickos will start to look at Ireland.

Aye, maybe, but presumably the Irish border won't be settled by the time of the referendum? Even if so, Unionists would presumably argue that it's a special case?