Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

16 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Is "git-intae-thum" the latest sock puppet of Fizzy Afro/Fide/Pepperoni/Cream Cheese?

Pretty sure he was here before any of them....and you for that matter....and all your daft troll pals. And Fide has been on this forum long before that. Do keep up.

Edited by AUFC90

May's speech is pretty much available if you want to read it. Maybe just me, but doesn't look like there's anything new in there. Hints at not being in the Single Market without actually saying it and a sprinkling of meaningless soundbites. 

I don't know what the point in this speech is, other than to sink the Pound further as seems to happen every time May opens her mouth. It's almost starting to look deliberate. 

So again, nothing of substance to see. I suspect the reason she still won't say anything about the Single Market is because protecting The UK's place in it was a Tory manifesto commitment and the small majority she enjoys will knife her for it - there are more than enough Tories who support the Single Market who could defeat her over it if the opposition fall in line. May is only trying to pull the wool over her own party's eyes with her non-commitments, and it's tiresome. 

On the Single Market note - if May wants to leave it, fine. However, the Conservatives would be in breach of a manifesto commitment in doing so, and therefore a general election should be called.  

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Does that mean all the auld selfish rich nawbags (best pensions in the world) are getting screwed?

Only if they are going abroad.

Anyone with equities in large caps is probably OK. The markets have rocketed almost in correlation to the drop in the pound. If it drops below 1.10 to USD I think I'll sell everything I have, wait for the rebound and a crash in prices.

18 minutes ago, hehawhehaw said:

is that the snp exchange rate for the bawbee. also please explain 'dipped back up' you must have an upside down way ae lookin at things. is this postfakeinvertedlogic?

¿ɔıboןpǝʇɹǝʌuıǝʞɐɟʇsod sıɥʇ sı ˙sbuıɥʇ ʇɐ uıʞooן ǝɐ ʎɐʍ uʍop ǝpısdn uɐ ǝʌɐɥ ʇsnɯ noʎ ,dn ʞɔɐq pǝddıp, uıɐןdxǝ ǝsɐǝןd osןɐ ˙ǝǝqʍɐq ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ǝʇɐɹ ǝbuɐɥɔxǝ dus ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ sı

˙dn ʞɔɐq pǝddıp ʎןqɐqoɹd 30˙1 buıǝǝs ɯ,ı
:pıɐs dɹɐd ɹǝʇxɐq 'obɐ sǝʇnuıɯ 61  
 ˙noʎ ɹoɟ ʇsnظ ʎɹɹos

Edited by hehawhehaw

Only if they are going abroad.
Anyone with equities in large caps is probably OK. The markets have rocketed almost in correlation to the drop in the pound. If it drops below 1.10 to USD I think I'll sell everything I have, wait for the rebound and a crash in prices.

You and me both and i also get paid in dollars

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

On the Single Market note - if May wants to leave it, fine. However, the Conservatives would be in breach of a manifesto commitment in doing so, and therefore a general election should be called.  

The Conservative manifesto's commitment (pages 72 and 73) was to hold a referendum by 2017 and respect the result. That was the main policy and it has been delivered. The manifesto also promised to reclaim powers from Brussels but Cameron failed miserably, a major contributory factor to the vote to Leave. 

The manifesto commitment to the Single Market was based on the Cameron's assumption that he would deliver a Remain victory. Despite none of the major parties in the Commons campaigning for Brexit, the Leave campaign won. 

The EU's Treaties are clear - leaving the EU means leaving the Single Market. For Britain to be a member the Single Market after Brexit, it would have apply to join the EEA, probably as an EFTA member. There was no manifesto commitment to join the EEA after if Britain voted to leave the EU.

Cameron resigned, like Blair and Wilson, and has been replaced. Governments and Prime Ministers have often changed or altered their manifesto policies in office. There is no obligation to hold a general election if they do so. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

If we had a General Election every time a party broke a manifesto commitment we'd be at the polls 3 or 4 times a year.

33 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The Conservative manifesto's commitment (pages 72 and 73) was to hold a referendum by 2017 and respect the result. That was the main policy and it has been delivered. The manifesto also promised to reclaim powers from Brussels but Cameron failed miserably, a major contributory factor to the vote to Leave. 

The manifesto commitment to the Single Market was based on the Cameron's assumption that he would deliver a Remain victory. Despite none of the major parties in the Commons campaigning for Brexit, the Leave campaign won. 

The EU's Treaties are clear - leaving the EU means leaving the Single Market. For Britain to be a member the Single Market after Brexit, it would have apply to join the EEA, probably as an EFTA member. There was no manifesto commitment to join the EEA after if Britain voted to leave the EU.

Cameron resigned, like Blair and Wilson, and has been replaced. Governments and Prime Ministers have often changed or altered their manifesto policies in office. There is no obligation to hold a general election if they do so. 

Where in the treaties does it say leaving the EU means leaving the Single Market? In particular, EEA status is ambiguous following the UK leaving. 

The Conservatives pledged, with no caveat, that they would protect the UK's place in the Single Market. 

Cameron did as he promised, renegotiated Britain's EU relationship and got as much as the EU were prepared to give him. That his efforts were in vain isn't really here nor there. 

May doing a good job of explaining how bad the UK is by lambasting unions which "discourage diversity and promotes uniformity".

If "one size fits all" doesn't work for the EU, as she claims, then she can hardly, in the same speech, bang on about how important it is for this "one country union of nations".

Edited by Antlion

Just now, Michael W said:

Where in the treaties does it say leaving the EU means leaving the Single Market? In particular, EEA status is ambiguous following the UK leaving. 

The Conservatives pledged, with no caveat, that they would protect the UK's place in the Single Market. 

Cameron did as he promised, renegotiated Britain's EU relationship and got as much as the EU were prepared to give him. That his efforts were in vain isn't really here nor there. 

Whatever they said before, May has clearly given up that idea. That sthe impression I get from her current speech.

May says she does not want partial membership of the EU.

"We seek a new and equal partnership – between an independent, self-governing, Global Britain and our friends and allies in the EU.

Not partial membership of the European Union, associate membership of the European Union, or anything that leaves us half-in, half-out. We do not seek to adopt a model already enjoyed by other countries. We do not seek to hold on to bits of membership as we leave.

The United Kingdom is leaving the European Union. My job is to get the right deal for Britain as we do."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/jan/17/theresa-may-brexit-speech-pound-steadies-ahead-of-theresa-mays-brexit-speech-politics-live#comments