Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

If Cassius Clay got married to a Pole would his kids be Clay’s Poles?

This will only be understood by those of a certain age who understand Dundonian.
Or Timothy ClaysPole the Dundonian in Rentaghost even ?

Don't worry, it's safe.
Cheers. I was worried like. I limit my appearances these days so it's like a "special occasion" when I distribute wise words. Bit like how Benny Hill wasn't on that often. Kinda ramps up the excitement for the audience.

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Nope.

If you define someone who lives in Scotland as Scottish or England as English then you quite clearly are confusing residency and nationality.  You may not recognise it but that is exactly what you are doing.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

If you define someone who lives in Scotland as Scottish or England as English then you quite clearly are confusing residency and nationality. 

No. Pointing out that what happens in Scotland is a concern of people who live in Scotland i.e. Scots, but not of those who don't live in Scotland i.e. non-Scots, is merely stating a fact. Unfortunately some people find facts difficult.

10 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

No. Pointing out that what happens in Scotland is a concern of people who live in Scotland i.e. Scots, but not of those who don't live in Scotland i.e. non-Scots, is merely stating a fact. Unfortunately some people find facts difficult.

Live = residency.

I know that some have taken the examples to extremes (looking at you @Loondave1) but your view is easily shown to be nonsensical when you apply it to a friend of mine who travelled from Canada to work in Edinburgh for 6 weeks before they were posted to London for a year and then Frankfurt for a month and finally Hong Kong for 3 years.  According to your logic my friend has been Canadian, Scottish, English, German and Hong Kong (or should that be Chinese) all within the space of 5 years.

Just now, strichener said:

Live = residency.

I know that some have taken the examples to extremes (looking at you @Loondave1) but your view is easily shown to be nonsensical when you apply it to a friend of mine who travelled from Canada to work in Edinburgh for 6 weeks before they were posted to London for a year and then Frankfurt for a month and finally Hong Kong for 3 years.  According to your logic my friend has been Canadian, Scottish, English, German and Hong Kong (or should that be Chinese) all within the space of 5 years.

Sounds like he's been Canadian, English and then Hong Kongese. What of it?

45 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Do you think that an independent Scotland should be free to decide its own employment laws rather than just implement the EU's?

Well, if your view is correct, all current EU members should all have the same employment law.

In that case, can you explain why Eire has a different minimum wage, no obligation to contribute to an employee's pension, no obligation to pay statutory sick pay, more statutory public holidays, different notice periods by employers, different equalities grounds,  better minimum redundancy payments, lower time barriers to claiming unfair dismissal and different TUPE provisions, just to name a few.

I would be happy for an independent Scotland in the EU to maintain our current compliance with EU directives. As can be seen from the list above, EU members can have and can maintain significant differences in employment law, subject to compliance with the employee rights set out in the directives.

I would much prefer that situation to what I suspect will happen to employment rights in the UK or rUK outside the EU. Hopefully Scotland will not be part of that shitstorm.

Live = residency.
I know that some have taken the examples to extremes (looking at you [mention=15521]Loondave1[/mention]) but your view is easily shown to be nonsensical when you apply it to a friend of mine who travelled from Canada to work in Edinburgh for 6 weeks before they were posted to London for a year and then Frankfurt for a month and finally Hong Kong for 3 years.  According to your logic my friend has been Canadian, Scottish, English, German and Hong Kong (or should that be Chinese) all within the space of 5 years.
He should be commended for that effort. I also doubt I took things to "extremes" as this thread was pretty ridiculous before I arrived. I was wondering now though if I swim in the sea in Tenerife can I actually be classified as a Spanish fish of some sort.

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

Sounds like he's been Canadian, English and then Hong Kongese. What of it?

:1eye

Not Scottish, and not German then?  Can you provide the criteria for how long she needs to be in a country before she can assume that nationality?  

Just now, strichener said:

:1eye

Not Scottish, and not German then?  Can you provide the criteria for how long she needs to be in a country before she can assume that nationality?  

Apologies to her for my presumption

I'd suggest that it isn't a question of time but a question of where she's made her home. 

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Apologies to her for my presumption

I'd suggest that it isn't a question of time but a question of where she's made her home. 

And yet you exclude two countries in which she lived whilst only knowing how long she had stayed there retrospectively.  Using your logic the first day she stayed in Edinburgh she was Scottish but the day before she left she was no longer Scottish.  I'm with everyone else here - there is no logic to your position and therefore I'm out.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

And yet you exclude two countries in which she lived whilst only knowing how long she had stayed there retrospectively.  Using your logic the first day she stayed in Edinburgh she was Scottish but the day before she left she was no longer Scottish.  I'm with everyone else here - there is no logic to your position and therefore I'm out.

She came to Scotland for 6 weeks. Did she live here or maintain a home elsewhere?

I've worked abroad for a couple of months at a time. But I still lived in Scotland because my home was here.