Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I had a butchers at it and I'm not sure what amused me more - the Brexiteers thinking that their tawdry straw poll had actual, legal status or just the fact of the supreme court reminding the government that their power was one derived from parliament.

Hoorah for Gina Miller and for Parliamentary sovereignty.  We should celebrate the latter annually.  I suggest we should have marching bands playing toe-tapping tunes and happy people dressed in bright colours celebrating our constitutional settlement.  Maybe when the weather's better.  July would be a good month.

Not sure quite what she's achieved in real, tangible  terms.  Nothing has changed or will changed. We are Brexiting. Scotland included. 

The tawdry straw poll you refer to was endorsed and welcomed by  almost all citizens, commentators and politicians until the result was known.

Now the sideshow is over the main event can begin.....then we can really celebrate!!! ( Pipes an aw !)

3 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

Not sure quite what she's achieved in real, tangible  terms.  Nothing has changed or will changed. We are Brexiting. Scotland included. 

The tawdry straw poll you refer to was endorsed and welcomed by  almost all citizens, commentators and politicians until the result was known.

Now the sideshow is over the main event can begin.....then we can really celebrate!!! ( Pipes an aw !)

Steady

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

One thing that's clear is that if the Government can't promise another £18.2 billion annually, plus inflation for the NHS after Brexit, it will mean the referendum was fraudulent and we'll need a replay.

The Gov't was on the Remain side , y'know, the side that used taxpayers' money to print and distribute leaflets.

There was no official endorsement of the Leave campaign and every voter was free to make claims, check claims or ignore claims as they saw fit.

If anyone was too lazy to check claims that's their lookout.

I, for one, didn't believe a single word that came out of Gove or  Johnson's ( or Cameron etc) mouths. I'm not that stupid, gullible or disengaged.

I did still vote to Leave though , but that was because I detest the EU Empire and the domineering, undemocratic , bureaucratic Gravy Train that it has become.

Just now, McSpreader said:

The Gov't was on the Remain side , y'know, the side that used taxpayers' money to print and distribute leaflets.

There was no official endorsement of the Leave campaign and every voter was free to make claims, check claims or ignore claims as they saw fit.

If anyone was too lazy to check claims that's their lookout.

I, for one, didn't believe a single word that came out of Gove or  Johnson's ( or Cameron etc) mouths. I'm not that stupid, gullible or disengaged.

I did still vote to Leave though , but that was because I detest the EU Empire and the domineering, undemocratic , bureaucratic Gravy Train that it has become.

Aye, but you're a bawheid who isn't even prepared to say what country you live in, so it doesn't count. You probably don't even have a vote.

7 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Constitutionally and legally, Holyrood's powers are devolved from Westminster. The devolution legislation did not give Holyrood any powers over foreign policy. The Supreme Court has simply confirmed that. 

Under EU legislation, the British Government as a legal duty to ensure that Scotland's legislation complies with EU law. Under EU law, Scotland is a region of a Member State, the UK.

The Scottish Parliament is not, and never has been, equal to the British Parliament at Westminster. Legally, Westminster could abolish the Scottish Parliament. 

Only an idiot could pretend otherwise.

I don't pretend.

What happened to the 'Union of Equals' though? The 'most powerful devolved parliament in the world'? Devo-max? Etc...

We're dictated to by Westminster which is, in reality, the English parliament. If their 83% English MPs all vote one way, we have no say in it.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Hope Maddie's well.

Ooooft, careful! I see the humour behind that statement because yer having a dig at me but that's a real child there!

Btw I live in Scotland, of course. I just don't want the ScotNazis hanging around my bit. So I prefer to be a bit vague. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

One thing that's clear is that if the Government can't promise another £18.2 billion annually, plus inflation for the NHS after Brexit, it will mean the referendum was fraudulent and we'll need a replay.

The Vote Leave campaign could not bind any Government. Even if it's campaigns claims are not deliverable, the referendum was not fraudulent. Voters have had to take a view on both sides' arguments before voting. That's the nature of referenda, including the devolution and independence.

If the Yes campaign could not deliver the White Paper's claims after a vote for independence, would Better Together been entitled to claim that the referendum was fraudulent and a "replay" was needed? Not in my opinion. 

Ted Heath claimed in the 1975 that a vote for the Common Market would not lead to Parliament losing its supremacy. The Lisbon Treaty gave that supremacy to the EU but we did not get a vote on that. The French and Dutch voted against the EU constitution but their wishes were ignored. 

22 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Ted Heath claimed in the 1975 that a vote for the Common Market would not lead to Parliament losing its supremacy. The Lisbon Treaty gave that supremacy to the EU but we did not get a vote on that. The French and Dutch voted against the EU constitution but their wishes were ignored. 

Well of course it didn't.  The EEC treaty, voted on in parliament, ceded some power to the then EEC.  This fits with the "what parliament grants parliament can take away" principle endorsed by the SC today.