Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

20 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

What was it? 

That a GE at this time is very likely to hand Johnson a majority and with that majority he will be able to impose the type of Brexit he wants.  Also he will not grant a further Independence Referendum.

That a GE at this time is very likely to hand Johnson a majority and with that majority he will be able to impose the type of Brexit he wants.  Also he will not grant a further Independence Referendum.

He will. We are next for his rabid, xenophobic base.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He will. We are next for his rabid, xenophobic base.

No he won’t.  However rabid and xenophobic they are they would re-establish the British Empire tomorrow if they could.

I would offer you a bet on Johnson not granting IndyRef2 but I honestly think it’s too important an issue to trivialise.

Call me suspicious but why does the Government need to draw up a "virtually identical" one-line bill?

Why not just support the SNP-Lib Dem bill?

Or will there be some subtle wording in the Government that allows them to do something sneaky?

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter.

The SNP should only support a General Election on the basis they have outlined - nothing more nothing less.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Call me suspicious but why does the Government need to draw up a "virtually identical" one-line bill?

Why not just support the SNP-Lib Dem bill?

Or will there be some subtle wording in the Government that allows them to do something sneaky?

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter.

The SNP should only support a General Election on the basis they have outlined - nothing more nothing less.

Probably because it’s far easier for the government to introduce a Bill.  Though I share your scepticism.

I agree with WTF.

If the SNP were assured of being able to hold IndyRef2 then their support for this would be understandable.  Sadly there is no such assurance.

I’m beginning to think that Swinson is a double agent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jo-swinson-lib-dems-boris-johnson-snp-bill-election-december-9-a9174536.html

I have heard enough of Swinson’s facile, naive, unworldly arguments about the timings of a December election – how no one can ever future proof anything about no deal Brexit, about how a Liberal Democrat government would sort everything out by revoking Article 50 as soon as Swinson arrived in Downing Street. It’s cobblers, of course. I thought Jeremy Corbynwas useless until Swinson started talking about a 9 December general election. Frankly, she makes Corbyn look like Tony Blair.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I agree with WTF.

If the SNP were assured of being able to hold IndyRef2 then their support for this would be understandable.  Sadly there is no such assurance.

I’m beginning to think that Swinson is a double agent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jo-swinson-lib-dems-boris-johnson-snp-bill-election-december-9-a9174536.html

I have heard enough of Swinson’s facile, naive, unworldly arguments about the timings of a December election – how no one can ever future proof anything about no deal Brexit, about how a Liberal Democrat government would sort everything out by revoking Article 50 as soon as Swinson arrived in Downing Street. It’s cobblers, of course. I thought Jeremy Corbynwas useless until Swinson started talking about a 9 December general election. Frankly, she makes Corbyn look like Tony Blair.

Sean O'Grady who voted Leave and helped get us into this mess.

Corbyn at his worse in his reply to Johnson. Makes a good speech to a friendly audience, utterly useless to a hostile one. Tbf he's got his hands tied behind his back, wanting a GE but the PLP bottling it, or not wanting one until they get shot of him.

Thing is, most people don't obsess about the nuances of political processes like folk on this sub-forum, so Labour's position looks completely insane: repeatedly going on about how terrible Johnson and this Tory government are, but turning down every chance to get rid of him and giving him a free pass to stay in office for longer than necessary. It just looks and sounds like woeful politics. 

5 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Thing is, most people don't obsess about the nuances of political processes like folk on this sub-forum, so Labour's position looks completely insane: repeatedly going on about how terrible Johnson and this Tory government are, but turning down every chance to get rid of him and giving him a free pass to stay in office for longer than necessary. It just looks and sounds like woeful politics. 

Sadly that is true and could probably be applied to every discussion on here.