Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

More fartcical behavior.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38923450
This government is the worst group of people ever assembled in history.

There was an article doing the rounds about a farmer who voted for Brexit on the basis that he thought DEFRA was an EU office and they didn't pay him on time. He was apparently really surprised to find out it was a government body and that the EU were in fact looking at admonishing them about the state of the admin and the fact nobody was getting paid.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

More fartcical behavior.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38923450

This government is the worst group of people ever assembled in history.

I've asked before but, if we really are net contributors of god knows how many millions, why on leaving the EU would we not be able to keep exactly the same subsidies, including those to farmers, and still have that net contribution available to spend where we want? 

BTW I like the term 'fartcical behaviour' - two insults in one.

40 minutes ago, The DA said:

I've asked before but, if we really are net contributors of god knows how many millions, why on leaving the EU would we not be able to keep exactly the same subsidies, including those to farmers, and still have that net contribution available to spend where we want? 

BTW I like the term 'fartcical behaviour' - two insults in one.

So you'd be happy tae pay a subsidy of millions tae Mrs Windsor and her cronies.

The Queen, aristocrats and Saudi prince among recipients of EU farm subsidies
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/29/the-queen-aristocrats-and-saudi-prince-among-recipients-of-eu-farm-subsidies

At least one in five of the top 100 recipients of CAP subsidies in the UK last year were farm businesses owned or controlled by members
of aristocratic families, an investigation by environmental campaign group Greenpeace found.
They include the Queen, the Duke of Westminster, the Duke of Northumberland, Sir Richard Sutton, the Earl of Moray, Baron Phillimore
and family, and the Earl of Plymouth.
...The government has promised to maintain CAP subsidies post-Brexit until 2020 while a domestic system is put in place.

Hannah Martin, of Greenpeace UK’s Brexit response team, said: “It is untenable for the government to justify keeping a farming policy
which allows a billionaire to breed racehorses on land subsidised by taxpayers. It’s clear that there cannot be a business-as-usual approach
to farm subsidies after we leave the EU.

Sandringham Farms, the estate owned by the Queen, received £557,707, while Grosvenor Farms Limited, which farms the Duke of Westminster’s
estate, raked in £437,434. The billionaire landowner died in August and left his fortune to his 25-year-old son.

The top 100 received £87.9m in agricultural subsidies last year, of which £61.2m came from the single payment scheme, where the size of the
land owned largely determines the grant amount.
Greenpeace said this was more than what was paid to the bottom 55,119 recipients in the single payment scheme combined.

and here's me thinking the common agricultural policy was set up tae aid the less well-off farmers.
I'm a silly willie :(

28 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

You are.  It was set up to protect the food supply in light of what happened in WWII. 

I ken.
But I'm sure that when it was first set up there was mention of the poor crofters in the highlands and the wee farmers in France and Spain.

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

That didn't come until later but it's subject to UK Gov's whim.

Are ye sure?
Were Britain, France & Spain no the original EU (I think) and I'm sure the talk was of assisting the poor farmers.
That's the REAL poor farmers and no the effin' royals.

39 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I ken.
But I'm sure that when it was first set up there was mention of the poor crofters in the highlands and the wee farmers in France and Spain.

It was first set up in the '50s long before UK or Spanish membership. Although the UK was subsidising it's farmers as well through the '50s and '60s and god knows what Franco was up to.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

19 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

The Royals own farms, get subsidies like farmers do.  Shrug.

and that's it.
Taxpayers paying these greedy c**ts and it's only worth a shrug - bravo!

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It was first set up in the '50s long before UK or Spanish membership. Although the UK was subsidising it's farmers as well through the '50s and '60s and god knows what Franco was up to.

I ken that, it was meant tae be a wee joke.
But the fact still stands that I'm sure the CAP was set up tae improve the lot of the wee farmers and no as pocket money for the rich.

12 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

You keep saying that but you're wrong.

Perhaps you're correct.

The only thing I can find online is this:

Agriculture and rural development
http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/cap-history/crisis-years-1970s_en
In the 1970s, attention began to focus on specific Community policy initiatives to speed up the structural adjustment of the European farm sector.
In 1972, legislation was passed to modernise farms, to promote professional training, and to renew the agricultural work force by encouraging older farmers to take early retirement.
A few years later, in 1975, initiatives were taken to provide assistance to farmers working in difficult conditions, such as hill farmers and farmers in less favoured areas.
In 1979, a 'co-responsibility' levy requiring farmers to pay a penalty for serious over-production was introduced in the dairy sector.

That's probably what I'm remembering and the newspaper headlines saying 'at last, help for the crofters'

23 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

You keep saying that but you're wrong.

He's not wrong but he's not right either

France had 2 million farmers when the CAP obviously most of them were small farmers and they had political clout by sheer weight of numbers.

Technology has made agriculture more efficient and across the world less and less people work as farmers and smaller farms have consolidated into bigger ones so there are less and less peasant farmers eking out a living from a tiny scrap of land.

old-farm-tractors-le-percheron-1953-and-

The UK was already well ahead of the curve by the 1970s

So what the original intentions of the CAP was when it was set up are of limited relevance. The industry it, and any post Brexit replacement , must address are totally different.