Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Anyone up for a bet that we won't be in a No Deal situation on Jan 1st? I'm saying a deal or an extension, Boris will cave and call it a great victory, or a necessary delay to cope with Covid. You're saying we're on WTO terms on Jan 1st. £50? Charity or personal, I'm easy.

Lads- I've had enough. As if it was ever going to be any other outcome than no deal. We ALL fucking knew. 

I am currently enjoying some genuinely "world beating" German beers- particularly the Rothaus Pils (pictured far right- pun fully intended). 

Given the fact we won't be able to travel anywhere in the new year and I won't be able to afford these beers even if somehow, they appear in 2021 (what with tariffs and collapsing sterling) and IF I remain in work, f**k it, three quid a pop. Why not? 

20201208_105217.jpg

Lads- I've had enough. As if it was ever going to be any other outcome than no deal. We ALL fucking knew. 
I am currently enjoying some genuinely "world beating" German beers- particularly the Rothaus Pils (pictured far right- pun fully intended). 
Given the fact we won't be able to travel anywhere in the new year and I won't be able to afford these beers even if somehow, they appear in 2021 (what with tariffs and collapsing sterling) and IF I remain in work, f**k it, three quid a pop. Why not? 

20201208_105217.thumb.jpg.cf8fc298bc0465a7eccc85adfebe177c.jpg
Enjoy mate [emoji482]

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Anyone up for a bet that we won't be in a No Deal situation on Jan 1st? I'm saying a deal or an extension, Boris will cave and call it a great victory, or a necessary delay to cope with Covid. You're saying we're on WTO terms on Jan 1st. £50? Charity or personal, I'm easy.

BoJo said to be at a meeting tonight at Number 10 to discuss possible contingency plans for Jan 1st.

If there's to be no deal he really should be forced to resign.

6 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Having re-read the thread, I can only surmise that you're a fucking idiot. It doesn't even claim that Johnson wants to be part of the single market.  f**k off.

"And for four years, this is precisely what the UK has demanded. The prize, without buying a ticket. It won't happen. Full and free access to the market is the central offering; the essence of membership. They're not about to start giving it away to third parties. Ever. "

Just now, bendan said:

"And for four years, this is precisely what the UK has demanded. The prize, without buying a ticket. It won't happen. Full and free access to the market is the central offering; the essence of membership. They're not about to start giving it away to third parties. Ever. "

"part of".

6 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

It sets tariffs. They are immutable without agreement, you are truly fucking ignorant.

This is simply wrong. Hong Kong is a member of the WTO and has no customs tariffs, for example. The UK plans to scrap tariffs on various things come Jan 1. They have to apply that tariff without discrimination, unless an agreement has been ratified, but they are not obliged to apply the WTO ceiling (the 'bound' rate).

I reckon you work in the public sector, BP.

12 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

It sets tariffs. They are immutable without agreement, you are truly fucking ignorant.

Wto doesn't set tarrifs. Countries do. WTO makes rules about administering tarrifs with the main one being the most favoured nation principle, except where there's a proper trade deal. 

1 hour ago, bendan said:

Unfortunately I think you're right, but I still have a hope that we could at least make the best of a shite situation and unilaterally end the protectionist tariff regime that the EU has created for us. If Bojo and the boys had any brains they could use it to show the world that the UK is not some small-minded island of bigots but in fact has some kind of coherent and principled belief in free trade. Which is why it won't happen.

I still have a hope of playing football for Scotland, despite being in my forties, hugely overweight and shite at football. 

I feel like my hope is still about 100x more plausible than yours. 

1 hour ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

The EU created a protectionist tariff regime for us? Like, for the UK? i don't think you're really getting the idea of a trading bloc. 

Us among others, of course they did. The EU 's tarrifs on agricultural products are horrifically harmful to some of the lower cost producers across the med. 

1 hour ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Exactly, why would they? 

Go on yourself UK, 'World Beating' self-harm. 

Having zero tarrifs on things like lychees is hardly going to hurt domestic production. 

1 minute ago, bendan said:

This is simply wrong. Hong Kong is a member of the WTO and has no customs tariffs, for example.

It has no tariffs because it has declared that it will treat every importer equally.  It's a free port. It cannot pick and choose. It does impose excise duties on  tobacco, hydrocarbon oil, alcoholic beverages and methyl alcohol whether they were imported or not.

5 minutes ago, bendan said:

The UK plans to scrap tariffs on various things come Jan 1. They have to apply that tariff without discrimination

So you're saying the UK plans untrammelled and uncontrolled imports of "various things".  How will that pan out?

11 minutes ago, bendan said:

I reckon you work in the public sector, BP.

Not me, I'm retired. But I did used to work in Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.  So...like I know what I'm talking about.

Having zero tariffs for American aircraft is going to do nothing for UK based Airbus plants, which they seem to be planning in an attempt to reassure America that we really like them despite their agricultural methods being unpopular over here. By leaving the EU we will have lost massive leverage in trade around the the world, and pretending we can just set the tariffs we like and it will be reciprocated is delusional. Our agricultural sector for instance would be enormously damaged by a zero tariff policy. 

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, bendan said:

Yes, that's WTO rules. You said the WTO set tariffs. They don't.

You're playing in a paddling pool you don't understand. If you trade under WTO rules, you have to set tariffs for almost everything you trade.  Unless you have an agreement with your trading partner or if you decide to let a commodity in without tariffs or you're a free port and let everything in.  Boris Johnson just fucked our chances of freely trading with the EU single market.

Edited by Baxter Parp