Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just now, CambieBud said:

This might be a good thing for us and our EU friends. Does that mean that little Brexiteer lager louts with criminal records will be refused visas? If so, excellent!

Good point, I didn't think of that.

2 hours ago, CambieBud said:

This might be a good thing for us and our EU friends. Does that mean that little Brexiteer lager louts with criminal records will be refused visas? If so, excellent!

2 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Good point, I didn't think of that.

This has been in the pipeline since day 1 and has been put back more than once, whether it actually happens is anyone's guess. From what has been reported it will be a 1 minute online process where you pay a small fee for a Visa waiver renewable every few years. It's not a Visa it's basically to prevent needing a visa and I suspect it will be a very basic (cash generation) scheme to remind us all yet again of the huge mistake we made leaving.

17 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Similar to ESTA scheme for the USA but with the added bonus of a big shiny badge for anyone who wants one.

14 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

This has been in the pipeline since day 1 and has been put back more than once, whether it actually happens is anyone's guess. From what has been reported it will be a 1 minute online process where you pay a small fee for a Visa waiver renewable every few years. It's not a Visa it's basically to prevent needing a visa and I suspect it will be a very basic (cash generation) scheme to remind us all yet again of the huge mistake we made leaving.

I don't think it's even a cash generator. They cost £6 and are valid for 3 years. It's little more than bureaucracy - unless the cost in future goes through the roof. 

Good luck finger printing, checking their dates of entry and exit, their insurance and cash reserves for everyone that crossed at Dover, won’t be long until the queues are out the port and causing chaos. 

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

Good luck finger printing, checking their dates of entry and exit, their insurance and cash reserves for everyone that crossed at Dover, won’t be long until the queues are out the port and causing chaos. 

Like every bank holiday 😉

6 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Like every bank holiday 😉

Even the stuff of multi generational families will be so funny. right everyone scan your finger prints, anyone over 70 and under 16 you don’t need the visa waiver but everyone else have you got yours. Will end up with grandparents taking grandchildren away whilst parents are refused entry.

2 hours ago, HTG said:

I don't think it's even a cash generator. They cost £6 and are valid for 3 years. It's little more than bureaucracy - unless the cost in future goes through the roof. 

It's mostly been brought in because the 90 day in 180 limit is nigh on impossible to keep track of. The border agents don't count the numeous passport stamps. The fee is immaterial, as you say. 

You'll still be able to exceed it, of course, although they'll find out when you leave and presumably you'll be refused entry if you try to return. 

I think we are doing the same to them tbh. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

It's mostly been brought in because the 90 day in 180 limit is nigh on impossible to keep track of. The border agents don't count the numeous passport stamps. The fee is immaterial, as you say. 

You'll still be able to exceed it, of course, although they'll find out when you leave and presumably you'll be refused entry if you try to return. 

I think we are doing the same to them tbh. 

The 90 day rule is managed via the biometric scan, not manually via passport stamps as the Express and the Heil constantly insist ! I know two families with property in the EU who have (marginally) been over their 90 days and refused entry but no ban. They were let off with a warning as they accepted it was a miscalculation although one instance meant missing a family wedding. I'm pretty sure they knew fine they would be over and chances their arm. Incidentally they went to the local press and did a "compo faces" piece.

48 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The 90 day rule is managed via the biometric scan, not manually via passport stamps as the Express and the Heil constantly insist ! I know two families with property in the EU who have (marginally) been over their 90 days and refused entry but no ban. They were let off with a warning as they accepted it was a miscalculation although one instance meant missing a family wedding. I'm pretty sure they knew fine they would be over and chances their arm. Incidentally they went to the local press and did a "compo faces" piece.

Despite all the dialogue about protecting our borders / stop the boats etc., I feel a lot of people in the UK seem to think as regards the EU that they're above some of the regulations in view of what people were used to up until recently.

Back in the day you could get a British visitor's passport (nothing else but a folded over bit of card) issued at a Post Office, which was sufficient for entering most western European countries.

Things have changed however and you're no longer entering a specific country, but the whole Schengen region (home to 400 million people).

They would never consider doing such a thing when going in/out of other countries.

Add on the fact of being a 3rd party country when entering, and having to stand in line with all the, in their eyes, "real" foreigners.

4 hours ago, German Jag said:

Despite all the dialogue about protecting our borders / stop the boats etc., I feel a lot of people in the UK seem to think as regards the EU that they're above some of the regulations in view of what people were used to up until recently.

Back in the day you could get a British visitor's passport (nothing else but a folded over bit of card) issued at a Post Office, which was sufficient for entering most western European countries.

Things have changed however and you're no longer entering a specific country, but the whole Schengen region (home to 400 million people).

They would never consider doing such a thing when going in/out of other countries.

Add on the fact of being a 3rd party country when entering, and having to stand in line with all the, in their eyes, "real" foreigners.

Yip, it seemed odd last week flying from Dusseldorf to Bergen and just walking from baggage reclaim out to the exit with no border control checks and as has been said that is a big problem when tracking length of stay. The two new schemes being launched next year will make that a whole lot easier thus making overstays (in theory) much more difficult. 

I flew into Geneva last week and the non-EU passport queue was an absolute shambles whereas EU passport holders just breezed on through.   I despise everyone that voted for Brexit.

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I flew into Geneva last week and the non-EU passport queue was an absolute shambles whereas EU passport holders just breezed on through.   I despise everyone that voted for Brexit.

Oh no, I hope you’re ok after experiencing such a terrible inconvenience. Also that’s what you get for going to Switzerland. Evil country. 

11 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Oh no, I hope you’re ok after experiencing such a terrible inconvenience. Also that’s what you get for going to Switzerland. Evil country. 

I am okay thankfully, but the long queues were an utter inconvenience. Also, I flew into Geneva before heading straight over the border to Chamonix, France. Great country. 

15 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Granny Danger.