Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Which Harry Clarke have you got in mind?

Glasgow bin lorry driver??He croaked it didnt he?? If not apologies  to friends/ family and i better take the support page on facebook down

Im sure union leaders will be falling over themselves to support her.
And what back for support...workers rights being protected? If so, imagine that even being a bargaining chip ffs. That should be a monster red flag for workers if it wasn't already obvious to them.

23 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

For once you are probaly correct, but not in the way you intended.  Anyone who knows about manufacturing and  its associated myriad of interconnecting  activities (I have a career lifetime of it) knows that decisons to relocate are taken over time and only after a very thorough evaluation of the pros and cons - it is not a simple press of a button exercise.

Companies are always seeking competitive advantage and wage rates are obviously a sizeable factor in that, but not every company is engaged in a drive (npi) to the bottom as it can often go very pear-shaped, especially when the product is a technically advanced one requiring a high degree of integration and repeatable quality.  An experienced, trained workforce can still be a huge asset, even on the balance sheet.

These decisions are made as low hanging fruit from consultants all the time.  The next stage is how quick they can get it done.  It doesn't seem to me that your reply and Detournements comment are incongruous at all. 

It might be a couple of years but the relocations are invariably made.  We've had northing already and next 3-5 year cycles will be offshoring.  Some already done, some already ahead of the curve but the 3000 local jobs are gone whatever way you cut it and put flowery words round it.

If it was Brexit vote during manufacturing 30 years ago I may have voted not to join.  But that ship's sailed.  The EU at least offers job security for the EU bloc against an even bigger threat in the far east for the current skill set of the majority here.

Edited by tirso

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is the Sky News estimate of the vote.  It looks high to me but if it’s anything close to this it will be utter humiliation for May.

F5A7AF46-057B-4FBA-AEA0-8C5F89C2ED2E.thumb.jpeg.57265675b9179fc239eb3af43fa40627.jpeg

What does it matter if the deal is rejected?  There's going to be no other deal on the table.  

I don't understand if you agree Brexit must be carried out how you can reject the deal actually.  It wouldn't matter to remainers what the deal was.  They don't want a deal, they want to remain.  The SNP's position is flawed.  They want to be in the single market.  The EU have dismissed this.  Labour don't have a clue what they want.  There is no other deal. 

23 minutes ago, tirso said:

What does it matter if the deal is rejected?  There's going to be no other deal on the table.  

I don't understand if you agree Brexit must be carried out how you can reject the deal actually.  It wouldn't matter to remainers what the deal was.  They don't want a deal, they want to remain.  The SNP's position is flawed.  They want to be in the single market.  The EU have dismissed this.  Labour don't have a clue what they want.  There is no other deal. 

The EU certainly didn't dismiss single market membership, you've literally just made that up.

27 minutes ago, tirso said:

I think the technical term is “pish”.

As for the SNP position; every single one of the 53 local authority areas in Scotland voted ‘Remain’.  

That’s every single one.

100%, or 110% if you’re a football player or manager.

The EU certainly didn't dismiss single market membership, you've literally just made that up.
So the EU have said we can have single market entry?

They've said they're not changing this deal other than clarifications. I'd say that's much bigger than a clarification.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think the technical term is “pish”.

As for the SNP position; every single one of the 53 local authority areas in Scotland voted ‘Remain’.  

That’s every single one.

100%, or 110% if you’re a football player or manager.

I'm a supporter of the SNP and believe there is a moral duty to put the issue to the Scottish people.  I'm talking about the deal the rUK will have to live with, and us if we're stupid enough to vote no again.

I don't think we can stop the rUK leaving if they voted for it.

Care to tell me what is actually pish about it.  You see the EU giving us a different deal?

Edited by tirso

Just now, tirso said:

So the EU have said we can have single market entry?

They've said they're not changing this deal other than clarifications. I'd say that's much bigger than a clarification.

Theresa May has been unwavering that the UK will leave the single market from day one of her premiership - it's literally never been asked for.

Other deals are still an option and Article 50 can be extended if there is a new general election, changing the government, or a second referendum. With the parameters May has set out and her red lines, they are done speaking as this is pretty much all they can reasonably offer. The talk of no other deal is based on what we're asking for.

1 minute ago, tirso said:

I'm a supporter of the SNP and believe there is a moral duty to put the issue to the Scottish people.  I'm talking about the deal the rUK will have to live with if we're stupid enough to vote no again.

I don't think we can stop the rUK leaving if they voted for it.

If we were independent rUK could do what they want. Whilst we are part of the U.K. I want any decision to be in Scotland’s interest.

Incidentally I think that would also be in rUK’s interest.

41 minutes ago, tirso said:

To quote Theresa May "leaving means we are able to have control of our borders, money and seek new independent trade deals"

Single Market access would contradict all of the above. It's never been an option Tirso.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If we were independent rUK could do what they want. Whilst we are part of the U.K. I want any decision to be in Scotland’s interest.

Incidentally I think that would also be in rUK’s interest.

The thing is, it is bad for an independent Scotland to have trading barriers with rUK.

Real worry would be if we get no deal right now and then have a big trading mess that requires a long time to clean up after independence and takes attention away from other important stuff.