Oh Kez!!!

John Lambies Doos

Going by Wings post it looks like he'll be appealing it. It is a strange decision to award all costs to Dugdale as the tweet in question was proven not to be homophobic. 

As much as I dislike the man I would rather he won this. Kezia Dugdale is an absolute charlatan and largely responsible for this conservative majority pushing through policies that are killing people. She should never be allowed to forget this.

2 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Going by Wings post it looks like he'll be appealing it. It is a strange decision to award all costs to Dugdale as the tweet in question was proven not to be homophobic. 

As much as I dislike the man I would rather he won this. Kezia Dugdale is an absolute charlatan and largely responsible for this conservative majority pushing through policies that are killing people. She should never be allowed to forget this.

This is about the size of it. Clearly I'm no one of they Perry Masons, but I'm baffled why he's been lumbered with the costs when he didn't lose.

Pleasing default_smile.png hope it bankrupts the p***k
I would guess you are in a minority here, whatever people's views are of Mr Campbell. When the potential financial burden of the legal process becomes an instrument of closing down debate and stifling opinion then it is a dangerous course for any democracy.

40 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Bit rich, he was trying to bankrupt dugdale out of parliament while she was still leader.

Aye but you’re missing the point; maybe deliberately.

Let’s not go down the Kuro line.

The homophobia or otherwise of the Tweet was never the issue of the case. The case was entirely about whether calling Wings homophobic was legitimate comment. The judge ruled that it was, and there was no defamation of his character by doing so.

It’s a stretch of gargantuan proportions to suggest that Wings didn’t lose.

5 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

This is about the size of it. Clearly I'm no one of they Perry Masons, but I'm baffled why he's been lumbered with the costs when he didn't lose.

People keep saying this. The judge said that, although the tweet was not intended to be homophobic, it was reasonable for Dugdale to think it was. And even if she had been deliberately slandering him, the damage to his reputation was negligible. That's what in legal terms they call losing a case.

I would guess you are in a minority here, whatever people's views are of Mr Campbell. When the potential financial burden of the legal process becomes an instrument of closing down debate and stifling opinion then it is a dangerous course for any democracy.

The man brought a spurious case against a woman and lost, there was never any merit to his case, he is an evil vindictive arsehole caught up in his own wee cult of self importance, begging for money to fund his arseholery from those with less than him.
This is nothing to do with stifling debate and opinion, it was a nonsense legal action and was quite rightly defeated.

8 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:
13 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Pleasing default_smile.png hope it bankrupts the p***k

He is the person who brought the court case. He was the one trying to close down the deabte.

Some people are deluded about this case.

Campbell isn't stupid. He would have known this was the most likely outcome and he will still probably turn a profit on the whole farce. The judge most likely added on the 50% as fine for wasting the court's time with self promotion.

The Indy Culture War he is cooking up will be his next money spinner. 

Campbell isn't stupid. He would have known this was the most likely outcome and he will still probably turn a profit on the whole farce. The judge most likely added on the 50% as fine for wasting the court's time with self promotion.

What surprise me is the number of seemingly otherwise reasonable people - including members of my own family - who regard him as a bastion for all that is righteous and good, when he’s clearly at it.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

People keep saying this. The judge said that, although the tweet was not intended to be homophobic, it was reasonable for Dugdale to think it was. And even if she had been deliberately slandering him, the damage to his reputation was negligible. That's what in legal terms they call losing a case.

I'm no sure "don't say anything a fucking cretin might misconstrue" should be given legal standing, but here we are. Anyway, the boy is a supreme arsehole so I'll no lose much sleep either way.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Do you think, given the ruling on the case itself, that the allocation of costs was correct?

Yes. Mr. Campbell’s argument in law was completely and utterly rejected.

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

The Indy Culture War is the way forward for the Yessers and you can see signs of it - even on P&B.

Having failed at the ballot box in 2014 with a political argument it's a shoe-in that the ethno-cultural argument will be brought in to play.