Tax refunds

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had tax rebates every year for the last three years.  I got one this week.  In total, they probably add up to more than £10,000.

It's handy because I can put the money towards big things (used last years to pay for a new bathroom) but why can't they get my tax right?  Should I contact them?

Would be great to get a large rebate but I would be a bit pissed if my employer could get my tax so wrong. Imagine if they got it so wrong in the other direction. I only got my modest rebate due to a bit of back payment on a clothing allowance and a transfer of my wifes tax over to me.

I've never had anything from them. Can i ask them to check?

You should be getting a Tax letter every year telling you how much you earned, how much tax you have paid.
Got mine this year and it said I had overplayed by £250, went online and had the money in my bank account within 5 days.

You should be getting a Tax letter every year telling you how much you earned, how much tax you have paid.
Got mine this year and it said I had overplayed by £250, went online and had the money in my bank account within 5 days.

Had nothing of the sort. I should contact them in that case

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I have had tax rebates every year for the last three years.  I got one this week.  In total, they probably add up to more than £10,000.

It's handy because I can put the money towards big things (used last years to pay for a new bathroom) but why can't they get my tax right?  Should I contact them?

It shouldn't happen if you have a 'steady' income. If you work on commission or in an industry that the pay isn't 'smooth' then they have absolutely no way of knowing what your earnings are going to be, so therefore getting your tax code right is an impossiblility. Moving jobs or spending time unemployed also fucks it up.

I was unemployed for a couple of months a few years ago but when I was back in work again continued to pay 'normal' tax on my monthly earnings so was therefore due a rebate. Sent them a letter and the money was in my account within a month. If you have a fair idea of how much you should be paying (ask a Celtic fan as they are all experts in tax and accountancy) and it is incorrect get in touch with the tax office and it will be sorted out in no time.

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I've never had anything from them. Can i ask them to check?

I think you can go on to online at www.gov.uk/p800refund, and find out where you're at with your taxes - the worry is, of course, that it's not what they want to hear.

Generally, I think they write to you if you're owed anything.

It's the giving of your bank details, etc to THE MAN that I find a wee bit sinister.

7 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Apparently, you now have to give your bank details on HMRC's online system to get the tax refund that they owe you - if you don't do this, you have to wait for 45 days for them to send you the money that they owe you.

c***s.

I got one for £184 and tried to claim it on line. 

Failed so I phoned them and they said it will take upto 3 weeks to receive a cheque. 

Got it one week later.

Then add a bonus I got my pension statement and there was another 134 pounds rebated with it.

Happy Days.

12 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Apparently, you now have to give your bank details on HMRC's online system to get the tax refund that they owe you - if you don't do this, you have to wait for 45 days for them to send you the money that they owe you.

c***s.

PA, I've got a mate works down the HMRC, pm me your bank details & I'll get him to stick it in right away. 

Happy to help.

Grimbo 

Archived