Dembele for Scotland?

THE KING

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of it but if these schools are getting the best local talent then surely that's the point and they will have more than the others?

Gilmour for example is from Ardrossan as far as I know - his dad used to play for the Winton - but goes to Grange Academy in Kilmarnock which is not only not his local school but is a different local authority. It's not that the performance schools are producing the best players - they're recruiting them.

Here's the list of schools btw:

Braidhurst High School (Motherwell)
Broughton High School (Edinburgh)
Graeme High School (Falkirk)
Grange Academy (Kilmarnock)
Hazlehead Academy (Aberdeen)
Holyrood Secondary School (Glasgow)
St John’s High School (Dundee)

Would have thought Inverness would have had a school as well. That's quite a catchment area vacuum considering the amount of schools in the central belt.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And it was a shite excuse, he, like McGeady, were always going to choose Ireland. He just wanted an easier life when playing in this Country.

As far as I'm led to believe Billy Stark rejected Hamilton's approach to cap the boy, if that's the case he's quite right to give Scotland a GIRFUY.

If we can't identify clearly talented kids at 15/16 unless they're at the Ugly Sisters we really should get better people into positions of influence.

I see various stories about Archie Knox. Not sure how just many of them are meant to be serious but Knox firmly denied such stories. He said that he emphasised to Hamilton manger Billy Reid that McCarthy had plenty of time to choose to play for Scotland. In the end it was the player's decision. If he had really wanted to play for Scotland he would have waited a bit longer than age 15 or whatever it was. The same sort of thing applies to Dembele of course....

5 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Would have thought Inverness would have had a school as well. That's quite a catchment area vacuum considering the amount of schools in the central belt.

I guess pupils from those areas would be encouraged to relocate with a bit of help - population is so low in that part of Scotland perhaps to justify it. Aberdeen goalie Archie Mair's from the Turriff area - that is a doable but long daily journey. Not sure I'd want to drive an hour to work each way.

I hope we manage to keep the wee guy at Celtic & he does go on to play in the full Scotland set-up. I genuinely believe this wee guy could go on to be a world star in football.

Both my club & country could benefit greatly from having him in the side if he keeps developing like he is.

1 hour ago, Davie Bhoy said:

I hope we manage to keep the wee guy at Celtic & he does go on to play in the full Scotland set-up. I genuinely believe this wee guy could go on to be a world star in football.

Both my club & country could benefit greatly from having him in the side if he keeps developing like he is.

I remember the same stuff being said about Feruz, then people creaming themselves when he went to Chelsea.

The pressure on this kid already is ridiculous. I really hope he doesn't turn out like Feruz.

36 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

It's unfortunate that a fud like Feruz is being used as a comparison for Dembele. They could be completely different characters and the former's failure has zero bearing on the latter without taking that into consideration.

If he turns out to have a solid mental attitude then he will go far but most young teenagers don't. It doesn't help when you're being talked up constantly, that must have an affect on your attitude to training. I felt a bit sorry for Feruz - Chelsea is a bit of a trap for young players.

Archived