Dembele for Scotland?

THE KING

8 minutes ago, woof! said:

he's still tiny, it's quite risky playing him in these games, and yet the SFA need to get him involved to stop the poaching.

Playing him in an U21 doesn't stop anyone else coming in for him, unless youre naive enough to believe a player will feel "wanted" enough to turn down bigger nations for us.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Is it finished? What was the score? How many hattricks did Dembele score?

2-2. We were 2-0 up at half time, two goals from the boy Semple. Wales were far better second half and their second was a peach of a strike. Dembele got on the ball a few times and his touch looks excellent. Ghosted past players.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Playing him in an U21 doesn't stop anyone else coming in for him, unless youre naive enough to believe a player will feel "wanted" enough to turn down bigger nations for us.

that was McCarthy's excuse.

Just now, woof! said:

that was McCarthy's excuse.

And it was a shite excuse, he, like McGeady, were always going to choose Ireland. He just wanted an easier life when playing in this Country.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And it was a shite excuse, he, like McGeady, were always going to choose Ireland. He just wanted an easier life when playing in this Country.

maybe, but if he plays in the same team as his mates it may count for something come judgement day. At least we look safe with Gilmour who was outstanding on Sunday (haven't seen today's game yet).

What're people's thought on the number of performance school players in the squad? Something like 20 of the 25 players are from these Wotte academies, which looks impressive. Do you reckon it's cos they're genuinely the best or that some of them might have been picked just to justify the performance school system?

ETA: sorry, just realised it's a bit off topic

I would disagree with this. Mcgeady yes.. but I think Mccarthy seriously considered changing but his dad wouldn't have it

There was a rumour going around at the time that the FAI were literally showering the family with gifts and willing to give him whatever to continue with them.
Probably a load of bollocks, but it's something that wouldn't surprise me.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

There was a rumour going around at the time that the FAI were literally showering the family with gifts and willing to give him whatever to continue with them.
Probably a load of bollocks, but it's something that wouldn't surprise me.

Someone at the Scotland Poland game in Warsaw told me a rumour about Archie Knox going to watch him play for Hamilton when he was 15 or 16, he was asked what his thoughts were and replied something along the lines of He'll never be good enough to play for Scotland which was overheard by McCarthys Dad.

Also probably not true, but at the same time wouldn't surprise me either.

11 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

What're people's thought on the number of performance school players in the squad? Something like 20 of the 25 players are from these Wotte academies, which looks impressive. Do you reckon it's cos they're genuinely the best or that some of them might have been picked just to justify the performance school system?

ETA: sorry, just realised it's a bit off topic

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of it but if these schools are getting the best local talent then surely that's the point and they will have more than the others?

Gilmour for example is from Ardrossan as far as I know - his dad used to play for the Winton - but goes to Grange Academy in Kilmarnock which is not only not his local school but is a different local authority. It's not that the performance schools are producing the best players - they're recruiting them.

Here's the list of schools btw:

Braidhurst High School (Motherwell)
Broughton High School (Edinburgh)
Graeme High School (Falkirk)
Grange Academy (Kilmarnock)
Hazlehead Academy (Aberdeen)
Holyrood Secondary School (Glasgow)
St John’s High School (Dundee)

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of it but if these schools are getting the best local talent then surely that's the point and they will have more than the others?

Gilmour for example is from Ardrossan as far as I know - his dad used to play for the Winton - but goes to Grange Academy in Kilmarnock which is not only not his local school but is a different local authority. It's not that the performance schools are producing the best players - they're recruiting them.

Here's the list of schools btw:

Braidhurst High School (Motherwell)
Broughton High School (Edinburgh)
Graeme High School (Falkirk)
Grange Academy (Kilmarnock)
Hazlehead Academy (Aberdeen)
Holyrood Secondary School (Glasgow)
St John’s High School (Dundee)

Interesting. Thanks for the info. 

I suppose the theory is that by being recruited and given 'expert' and more intensive coaching at the performance schools they will be more likely to fulfil their talents.

10 hours ago, spacekid84 said:

Someone at the Scotland Poland game in Warsaw told me a rumour about Archie Knox going to watch him play for Hamilton when he was 15 or 16, he was asked what his thoughts were and replied something along the lines of He'll never be good enough to play for Scotland which was overheard by McCarthys Dad.

Also probably not true, but at the same time wouldn't surprise me either.

It's an urban myth.  I'm fairly certain Archie Knox was very keen to get him involved but the family was dead set against it.  That said, it is Archie Knox so anything is possible.

Savage Henry talking utter site as usual.   Know people who know the family,  the Hamilton manager asked the sfa several times to send someone to see him as he was outstanding.   Knox turned up, watched one half, and derisively snorted whilst laughing and being angry at having his time wasted, or so he thought, that Mccarthy 'would never fuckin play for Scotland'.  His dad heard this and held him to it when it turned out Knox was a horrendous judge of a player.

That's what happened,  and having met Knox it chimes perfectly he's a complete and utter arse hole. 

I heard that Knox called McCarthy's da a leprechaun and McCarthy's da put a curse on the sfa by making his son McCarthy choose South Ireland instead of Scotland and thus depriving Scotland of another central midfielder who plays at a similar level to 4 other central midfielders we have. 

Archived