St Mirren v Dundee United 15/10

For the first time this season I've left disappointed about the result, but not about the effort that the players put in.

I felt the first half was pretty even with neither side creating anything to write home about, but we looked the more likely to make something happen. United' goal came from Irvine injuring himself and the team weren't quick enough to organise themselves leaving a big gap at the back.

I'm glad the whistle at HT came quite soon after that as the heads went down slightly, but credit to Ross who got them back fighting in the second half.

The second half I felt went pretty much the same way as the first half, with Dundee United taking advantage of another defensive blunder. We didn't really create any clear cut chances until after United went two nil up.

Overall I feel a draw would have been a fair result, but United took advantage of two mistakes we made, and we were unable to take advantage of theirs.

In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't have been expecting United to be one of the teams we would be beating at the beginning of the season, it's just as time passes we are more and more desperate for a league win.

I did think there was a huge improvement in terms of effort and organisation. Rome wasn't built in a day, but I was impressed with the pressing game we tried to play and as time goes on we'll get better. A few wins will do wonders for the confidence.

I think results today killed any small hope of sneaking a play off place, we just need to spend the season focusing on getting as high as possible in the league. The first priority being to get into 8th then start looking at the teams above.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Waffelz said:

The teenagers who were chanting today were doing my fkn head in. "Gies a wave" and "kiss the badge" need abolished 

Andreu is a god. I feel for VDV on the wing - quite clearly the smartest player on the pitch but just not got the legs anymore. Fraser v good again. Flood behind him will help him so much 

Was at the recent hibs v Utd game and didn't understand why van der veld was left wing.

surely a playmaker in a more central position. 

I was encouraged with our display today. It was in the end yet another defeat but at least we managed to create a few decent chances and look as if we had some fight about us.

JR has a big job on his hands trying to feed off the scraps left behind by that utter cretin Alex Rae. Both keepers Naismith Hutton Hardie and Webster are just not good enough. Jan seems a long way away when you need to bring some decent players in.

1 hour ago, big al said:

Was at the recent hibs v Utd game and didn't understand why van der veld was left wing.

surely a playmaker in a more central position. 

Our best player plays in his preferred position. He should be the main focal point as he's the only who can challenge in the air to some success and to hold folk off 

9 minutes ago, Waffelz said:

Our best player plays in his preferred position. He should be the main focal point as he's the only who can challenge in the air to some success and to hold folk off 

Yeah you have good options in the  centre mid/ attack area. 

Agree he could be the main striker for others to play off as he has the ability and Murray is so limited.

Just now, big al said:

Take it when van der veld signed McKinnon had no idea he could get Andreu and now he has both he tries to shoehorn them in.

I think that's the case.

I'd much rather have VDV upfront with

Tope - Andreu - Spittal

behind him.

5 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

What a bitter wee man. Thats all.

:lol:

No longer touting your rabble for promotion this season I presume? Now reduced to finding reasons to take mock offence during your slide into the seaside leagues. 

Get down. Stay down.

aap_jeremy_clarkson_1200.jpg

Several positive aspects to take from yesterday from our point of view. 

We were far more cohesive as a team. Silly wee things that weren't happening before now seemed to be. More passes connecting, more players looking interested and a constant pressing style of play. They seemed to have a confidence there and to their credit the heads didn't go down after either goal. 

Hutton put in a far better performance than what we've seen but unfortunately he's too far gone in the eyes of some boo boys. Two badly misplaced passes and some were all over him. 

Naismith is a dilemma that must be sorted soon. Had a fantastic first half but was gubbed after 55 minutes, not injured, just physically gassed out. This isn't the first time it's happened and isn't at all acceptable. He's had the benefit of the doubt due to the injury but he's now been match fit for 5 months. That fitness has to come back. 

Thought Utd looked organised but not a real threat up front (Utd fans have made this point all season though) and benefitted from an unfortunate clash of knees that put Irvine on his arse and a horrendous mistake from MacKenzie. Only other chance I remember was a half sitter from Obedayi just after the first goal. Oh and Tony Andreu is the difference between that group being a top 3 side and a 5-7th placed side. He's bloody good. 

Anyway, we'll regroup and go again. It's painful to say that yesterday was probably the best I've seen us play in a couple of years. Shows just how low the bar is at present. 

Oh and Tony Andreu is the difference between that group being a top 3 side and a 5-7th placed side. He's bloody good. 

Totally agree, he was the difference yesterday. The guy was sold for £1 million only 2 years ago. He's clearly a cut above this level. That said I thought for the most part we did well against him. 2 mistakes and he capitalised, his touch for the first and finish for the second were exceptional.

Happy with the result yesterday, any win away from home In this league Is a good one. Thank fcuk we signed Tony Andreu, he's utter class. Our defence looked stronger yesterday, Durnan fairplay to him he's coming on well. Big William has toughened that defence up and Paul Dixon I thought was excellent yesterday.

St Mirren, while they didn't show any real class they did fight hard, always a positive to take If you're a fan. Stevie Mallan didn't play that well thankfully, looks a good player.

2 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

Happy with the result yesterday, any win away from home In this league Is a good one. Thank fcuk we signed Tony Andreu, he's utter class. Our defence looked stronger yesterday, Durnan fairplay to him he's coming on well. Big William has toughened that defence up and Paul Dixon I thought was excellent yesterday.

St Mirren, while they didn't show any real class they did fight hard, always a positive to take If you're a fan. Stevie Mallan didn't play that well thankfully, looks a good player.

He took a knock in the first half, from a hard challenge that he put in, he never really recovered from that. Then Flood caught him a little late and that was him done. He's got a great touch Mallan, and can really hit a ball. He's maybe just being asked to do too much this season.

I also thought Shankland looked ok when he came on, he's needing to shed a few pounds by the looks of it but he's got a good strike and puts himself about. His effort that he hit on the turn, and his half volley, crossfield pass to Morgan late in the game were brilliant

Archived