The Famous v The Spoon-Burners: The Renfrewshire Derby Thread

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It's certainly the worst I can recall us playing in 22 years of going to matches, home and away. I've seen us pumped 4-0 at Alloa, humped in Arbroath, beaten by 7 a few times at Ibrox and Parkhead and more Highland shoeings than I can remember. That was a different level though, that was the epitome of a team out there who clearly weren't even pretending to try. That's taking nothing away from Morton though, they played well. But 6-0 or 7-0 wouldn't have flattered them tonight.

The Saint Mirren players committed about 90% effort. They had no genuine strategy from your brains' trust as to how they would win the match though. Ayr for example set up with a clear game plan and gave us a very difficult challenge for us to break through on Saturday; Saint Mirren let Morton win the ball all over the park and press them all the way back to Clangers quite easily, without ever threatening themselves. That's how we easily win games. Saint Mirren also seemed happy to concede cheap fouls to break up the game; which was moronic, because a Ross Forbes free-kick onto Tam O'Ware's head is actually one of our most common goalscoring moves this season. Once that inevitable goal created the breakthrough the game was over really. 

The only comparable side that I and many others have seen is the omnishambles Morton side that got relegated in 2013-14 tbh. 

On 8/6/2016 at 23:01, Lex said:

Mind posting it on your IG? Would love to on mine, but can't remember the PW.

FWIW; Morten WILL beat us one day, you guys just need to learn to buhlieve. Next time you're beating us in our own 'midden', don't shite it and cower away from glory like you just did; press on.

Windows need done. Anyone got a bucket with a big hole in it?

warnock.png

On 8/6/2016 at 22:33, Lex said:

As you will know, Morton can't beat the St Mirren. No matter how bad we are, as a football club, they just can't. There's a mental block in there, we seen it exemplified beautifully today. They should have had us buried by the 30 minute mark.

They couldn't though, not because of what they are, they couldn't because of who they play for. When they were playing us off the park early doors, those Ton players felt the heavy weight of 17 years of disgrace. That weight stopped them making it 2-0 and winning the game.

We not only set it up for a plate for them today, we have done several times in the last decade or so. One example that always sticks out is back to the challenge cup semi in 2005. They should have won, they were far better. They didn't, we beat them and went on to lift the cup.

Today was the same. I could literally write a book on games when they coulda, woulda, shoulda. Today was just another chapter in said book. How many more until they...?

warnock.png

On 8/6/2016 at 22:26, Arch Stanton said:

I'm going to love it if we draw Mor*on in the Scottish Cup.

Since they last beat us in that competition it's 

48,889 days

(and that's just to today, not January)

133 years, 10 months

warnock.png

On 8/6/2016 at 22:00, Arch Stanton said:

The worst Saints performance against the Soapdodgers in living memory, only 1 attempt on target in 90 minutes (which we obviously scored from) and yet they still couldn't beat us.

Verge of tears

Word Salad

Blubbering mess

Thanks for playing

Back in your box

By the time the next meeting comes around it'll be 6406 days

and counting...

warnock.png

On 10/29/2016 at 19:50, sunlounger said:

"The famous", pmsl.

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

On 10/16/2016 at 02:54, vikingTON said:

Looking forward to this derby match taking place next Satur... oh that's right: we're actually too busy contesting a League Cup semi-final, instead of dealing with utter no-marks like yourselves. Enjoy yet another week marooned at the bottom of the division then, before we get round to swording your rabble on November 1st. 

As we did, effortlessly. 

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

On 10/29/2016 at 18:24, vikingTON said:

3-0 to The Famous.

Bar a hilarious, consolation goal -kenned the score. 

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

On 10/30/2016 at 23:30, shull said:

Morton 0 St Mirren 2

Crowd 3013

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

On 10/31/2016 at 08:02, Silvio said:

Our only hope is Jim Duffy. 

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.pnggreggy-1_zpsa6468549.pnggreggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

On 10/31/2016 at 21:05, Back Post Misses said:

Away win

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

On 10/31/2016 at 21:12, sunlounger said:

Mortons only chance of beating us and they still won't manage it.

2-1 to the good guys.

Moan the buds.

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

On 10/31/2016 at 22:50, sunlounger said:

The resurgence will be well underway by then my smack infested friend.

Moan the buds.

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

18 hours ago, NorthBank said:

With only 3 fit defenders I reckon it will be a repeat of Saturday's 3-5-2 formation. Hope we drop Hardie as he is too lazy in my opinion and although Walsh isn't much better at least he can have a go at the opposition although his tracking back and tackling are pretty non-existent. If Rocco is out Mallan will play deep limiting our forward play. 0-0 borefest.

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

16 hours ago, The Moonster said:

:lol:

I was genuinely kidding on. That's got minter written all over it.

Indeed it does. Promoting a match for home fans to watch their side dishing out an absolute hounding in a midweek, derby game; as opposed to watching the Champions League in the pub. A minter of an effort, all things considered. 

No doubt you lot will have got something better lined up for your fake derby against us in a fortnight. 

After 20 minutes I was saying fucking hell, St Mirren are awful. Not quite Morton 13/14 bad, but certainly as bad as Alloa last season. By half time I'd realised that they really are as bad as us in 13/14. That is a fucking gang of a football team. Kyle Hutton's absolute terror at having the ball at his feet for more than three seconds :lol:

Glorious, absolutely glorious. The only criticism is that we didn't really hound them and smash in six or seven as we genuinely could have on the balance of play, but an excellent performance anyway despite the standard of opposition. McDonagh, Lindsay, Forbes, Oliver were all tremendous, but Mark Russell though. What a fucking player.

6 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

18 years ha ha ha ha ha Seriously  18 years . You must be coming in you pants ha ha ha ha. Our hand me down flood lights looked great tonight. We did not even get a thank you for that. Says it all about our poor cousins.  

Trying too hard.

5 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

What great reading this post-match has been. Happy for all the Morton fans who've had to wait so long to beat their rivals. Would love to see this Hutton incident.

St Mirren could be our saviours this season.

Do you remember the signal they gave in Team America when it was an emergency? It was like that but with a ball at his feet.

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Indeed it does. Promoting a match for home fans to watch their side dishing out an absolute hounding in a midweek, derby game; as opposed to watching the Champions League in the pub. A minter of an effort, all things considered. 

No doubt you lot will have got something better lined up for your fake derby against us in a fortnight. 

Probably not, no, considering you're the only one who keeps saying it's a fake derby.

I'm genuinely not kidding when I say this result may be the death of Lex. St Mirren is his life, literally his whole life and this hold they had over Morton was what got him through each day. The poor guys life is over. 

Looking back on the game last night it's hard to believe how we didn't score more than 3 goals. First half Morton were simply outstanding in all areas of the field.

Not surprised our goals came from a defender, midfielder and a forward. Even the subs we brought on were brill. 

Young Jai has perhaps stolen the limelight from Oliver since the start of the season with his performances, but Oliver's hold up play was immense - and he can finish too!

I though Duffy would have brought in Doyle, but he stuck with McDonagh at RB and his decision to do that was 100% spot on. Duffy certainly has the knack of getting the best out of players and  what a transformation in McDonagh - absolutely  outstanding last night.

You have to be looking at the playoff's the way we're playing at the moment. It's certainly achievable and we are also starting to get our injured players back at the right time too.

For St Mirren, not many positives if any to take from the game. I thought Ross got the tactics wrong in the first half, albeit he changed them in the 2nd half.

But although they have a few decent players they were a shambles from back to front. They looked like a team who haven't gelled and totally lack any confidence.

When you're down at the bottom and fighting a relegation battle, you need fighters in the team, and St Mirren just don't have that.

After January the loan players will be looking to get back to their respective clubs and won't give a shit about relegation. If Ross is going into the transfer market and he really needs to, he better get a couple of grafters ironically in the Goodwin type mold  

12 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

We've been shite

You're a bit fair on us. We've been rotten. You've been worse though.

I'm going to spend the rest of the game on here. It's shite.

Defending really well. Attacking like amateurs.

We're defending badly now. I'm worried.

We've been fucking woeful since half time

11 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

We've been fucking shite!

Thought we were well organised. Shitebagged it from 2-0 though. Still had chances.

No idea how it could go to 3-0. What a horrible shitehawk team we played

I thought you deserved more tbh.

What at the actual f**k. 

Archived