Worst Scotland Performance

The major difference between then and now, is that other than the Euros expanding threefold, it was a lot harder to go through than it is now. That Portugal team (half a dozen of them anyway) was still seven years away from making a proper dent at a finals....therefore had much to prove for a long time before it. We were a team on the way out, hence 'the night a team died'. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst Scotland performance might just be the defeat to Georgia last campaign.  Absolutely woeful, players literally looked like they'd never played the game before.

4-0 defeat to Norway was also a shocker.

Teams like Portugal and Holland were good teams. Norway were poor and Georgia even poorer and yet they beat us.

7 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've also just remembered the USA 5 Scotland 1 friendly.

I think Slovakia was certainly up there, but yes, having Sports Illustrated and Fox Sports commentators ripping the piss out of how bad Scotland played... wasn't fun.

19 hours ago, mcfadden78 said:

This is the Portugal 5-0 match. Saw someone posted the Faroes match so thought had to do the same with this. 

What is obvious is just how the gulf between the two sides are. This must have come as a shock at the time in 1993 because Scotland were qualifying for tournaments whereas Portugal (at that stage) weren't.

Even though it is highlights just of the goals mainly, it is still extremely painful to watch. The 5th goal scored by Cadete who is set up for a close finish simply looks a masterclass in the opposites of extreme of bad and good football teams. 

It is excruciatingly bad and I don't pity anyone who doesn't want to watch it. 

:lol: I've never seen that before. Absolutely abysmal defending. It looked like the players just didn't bother with marking. Also how slow did our defence look?!

Quality Scotland strip though, and that stadium looked pretty ace.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've also just remembered the USA 5 Scotland 1 friendly.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I think Slovakia was certainly up there, but yes, having Sports Illustrated and Fox Sports commentators ripping the piss out of how bad Scotland played... wasn't fun.

I've just watched the highlights. Absolute clown car defending from Scotland, especially just before they score their 3rd when Donovan hits the post;

5 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:

The 3-0 game we got Skelped by Hungary at home in 2004 always sticks in my mind.

Can't find any highlights of the game online, but have found the goals. The 3rd is most chortlesome. I don't remember that Scotland strip. 

Couple of match reports;

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/aug/19/newsstory.sport10

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/scotland/3561680.stm

6 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

After thew optimism comes the crushing defeat.  Holland 6-0 Scotland.  The scoreline flattered us that night,  the Dutch were very good but our shiteness was breathtaking, luckily I was baked on Afghan hash and Heineken to soften the blow.

If you enjoy comical shiteness then this is the video for you. Not only was our strip crap, but the entire team were as well. We gifted laughable goals, we decided that defending wasn't necessary and we struggled to make even basic passes.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The worst Scotland performance might just be the defeat to Georgia last campaign.  Absolutely woeful, players literally looked like they'd never played the game before.

4-0 defeat to Norway was also a shocker.

Teams like Portugal and Holland were good teams. Norway were poor and Georgia even poorer and yet they beat us.

A pishy white strip features once more, as do amusing attempts at defending and trying to play football in general;

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

This time the white strip belongs to the home team. We wore that awful maroon effort. At least one of you on here has it. Admit it.

We bought it for my wee boy during the week of the match.  He was one year old at the time.

Such cruelty.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

This time the white strip belongs to the home team. We wore that awful maroon effort. At least one of you on here has it. Admit it.

I had an argument with my Maw after she bought me it as a present as not only did we wear it that night but it was hideous in general. 

Ban pink, white and maroon tops. Maybe give yellow and red a shot since it's the colour of the Lion Rampant? 

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We bought it for my wee boy during the week of the match.  He was one year old at the time.

Such cruelty.

Reported (to child services).

3 minutes ago, Gunz said:

I had an argument with my Maw after she bought me it as a present as not only did we wear it that night but it was hideous in general. 

Ban pink, white and maroon tops. Maybe give yellow and red a shot since it's the colour of the Lion Rampant? 

No idea what they were thinking with that top. Hope yer maw got a talking to about it.

Don't think friendlies should really be counted. Invariably they have some bizarre line ups and formations, you're always going to get freak performances both good and bad. Remember we won in Germany in a friendly? :lol:

Also I think away results should always be given slightly more sympathy. Travelling time, unusual conditions, dodgy pitch... etc. Doesn't excuse them by any means, but makes them more understandable.

It's the home competitive ones that hurt the most. That's why Belarus coming to Glasgow and winning is the worst for me. Lithuania would have got it had we not scrambled in a late equaliser.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Reported (to child services).

No idea what they were thinking with that top. Hope yer maw got a talking to about it.

I remember complaining about her buying me the 'top we wore against Georgia' but I was called ungrateful. So I wore it to the next Scotland game, which we lost. It was never worn again after that. 

Archived